After staying in southern Costa Rica at a beach resort, we traveled by van and ferry up the mountains to the Kioro Resort at the foot of the Arenal Volcano. It was a long day on the road through some beautiful country, and then what a place. Kioro sits in the foothills of the volcano. Everything is wonderful about this property. All the rooms have a great view of the volcano. Waking up in the morning there may be clouds on the summit or it may be clear. Either way it's a gorgeous sight. Walking down the winding pathways to the pool, the hot springs, the dining or to the lobby is an experience. Flowering and ornamental plants of all kinds including Bamboo Orchids my favorite. Every room has a inside hot tub, bathrobes and an extra day bed for lounging. We were able to get the U. S. college bowl games on the TV, but the dialog was in Spanish. An interesting way to enjoy the games. Breakfast was included with an excellent selection of local foods. Lunch was something light around the pool or in the town about 15 minutes away by taxi. The town provides an excellent opportunity for different foods and some shopping. There are all day tours of the volcano area. We only took a half day rafting trip down a lazy river. It wasn't worth the effort; the only dissapointment of our Arenal stay. If you are planning on going to the Arenal area, you should thoroughly research the tour opportunites. Some of them can be physically challenging. Many of the ornamental landscaping plants we see in the U.S. come from farms in this area. When driving through the rolling hills we saw fields of them. New Year's Eve the resort had a special dinner accompanied by live music. A terrific fireworks display followed. The San Jose airport is about 3 hours away by van. Our driver stopped on the way at a couple of road side stands where be bought gifts and interesting local snacks. While there is no night life at the resort, a trip into town can serve that purpose. Otherwise Kioro is a feast for the mind and body. A beautiful, relaxing place. Definitely 5-star.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal Kioro offers a fabulous place with a natural viewpoint to the Arenal Volcano. The hotel has 27 acres of undulating land, surrounded by two streams (La Palma and Kioro) with crystalline waters that begin to flow in the Arenal Volcano National Park. It has two paths where plant species are identified. Besides, private thermal springs for our customer's delight. All our suites have:Two terraces with the best panoramic volcano and mountain view, hydro-massage, air conditioning, safe deposit box, minibar, coffee maker, hot water, direct dialing telephone, satellite television, hair dryer, key card, safety locks, internet connections. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your Arenal Kioro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Kioro Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Kioro Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park