All reviewsarenal volcanolavashhot wateractive volcanogrounds are beautifuleftubwildlife
Reviewed January 4, 2006

Tacotel is located about a kilometer from the busy and noisy town of Arenal. The town is actually nice..and the people in the town are friendly. The tour operators will bend over backwards to be helpful. We loved the Paraisio Tour Operator firm. Along the way from the hotsl are several other hotels..where we went for a couple of dinners. It costs about 6 USD to take a cab from the hotel into town. I didn't mind the 10 minute ride...a little bit of sight seeing. The facilities receive a C from me. The room was very basic... and not too appealing but it was clean...I have to say that much. We were in the large building that 2 floors with motel-like units. I wasn't able to shower without flooding the bathroom and the beds were okay...not too comfortable. But no bugs at all and the rooms were clean. There were no phones in the rooms..nor alarm clocks..but the desk sent someone by at my request to give us a wakeup knock.

The breakfast was free..but the same exact meal each of our 3 days there...only two choices... American or Typical Costa Rican. It was obvious that the scrambled eggs were made in a large batch and just shoveled out. We weren't impressed. Generally Costa Rican food was delicious... not here. The pool in the front was right behind the resturant. There was also a bigger pool down the road in the back of the property. Never saw anyone in it. There is a hideous looking cement small ampitheater type structure...dome structure which actually has a small pool and bar...but no bar tender under the 1/2 dome. People did hang out there. We sent our kids down there for awhile and could keep an eye on them from the balcony.

I didn't care. I was in Arenal for the Paraiso Hotel's Canopy Tour...incredible...and for the Venado Cave tour...wet but wild. It rained the whole time we were in Arenal so...no volcano viewings. ...but..the volcano is right there behind the Tacotel Hotel. The manager..Fernando is a sweetheart but the rest of the front office staff were either indifferent or not too friendly. Not too professional. I wonder if it's a language barrier for some of them...while others just didn't give me a good impression. You know, you go to some hotels and staff just want to do everything to accommodate you.. not here. The waiters were the same... just average. Everyone needs a good PR talk on how to keep their jobs by trying harder. I was happy to be out of there.

• Stayed: December 2005
Reviewed September 12, 2005

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night and it was miserable. Not only was their massive construction going on right outside our window but the service staff was horrible and there are not views of the volcano from the rooms as advertised. The owner and staff are rude and unhelpful. By far the worst hotel in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank Compass26355
Reviewed August 16, 2005

WE paid a $55 a night with breakfast and tax for a private little cabina overlooking the volcano. Worth the money.

There was plenty of construction going on which I disliked.

The service was usually great. I really liked a guy named Miguel who booked us great local trips and found us great deals. If he is there ask for him.

The food was okay. There are better deals elsewhere but it was usually empty and private for dinner. Free breakfast was excellent.

The pool is in a bad spot which I saw barely anyone using. It feels like you are always being watched.

Room service was excellent. The large rooms were very clean.

Parking is very tight.

• Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank allmotorchick
Reviewed April 29, 2005

Stayed here our second night in CR. We stayed in the 'new' section just recently completed with another newsection still being built. Room was spacious, quite with porch and hot tub and english speaking tv. We later found this to be a rarity in most of the places we stayed in CR. We found the service to be excellent with the hotel staff being most gracious and helpful. Especially Johnathon and a fellow I called New Jersey as his english was excellent and he told me that he had spent time in NJ. The hotel took us out to see the volcano at night for free and spent about 2 hours showing us and other guests the lava flow. I can't speak for the older cabins but the two new additions were the nicest that we stayed in in northern Costa Rica. Plus we liked the Arenal area MUCH better than the Monteverde area. The pool was clean and new and the grounds were beautiful. We really enjoyed our stay and wish we had scheduled more time here instead of the Monteverde area.

• Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank Companion15182
Reviewed December 4, 2004

I had such a terrible experience at this hotel that I have to write about it. The cabinas are very dark inside, and lighting is very dim. They are fairly clean inside, but living in such dark quarters is pretty depressing. The hotel staff are NOT HELPFUL AT ALL. One morning I went to wait for a transport bus...I doublechecked with the front desk person for the arrival time. I was told 12pm. I sat and waited for 1.5 hours, and the bus never showed up. The front desk person saw me sitting there waiting patiently and never bothered to come over to me and tell me they would find out why it did not arrive, or offer to call me a taxi. Instead, he just ignored me. At 1:30pm...I walked over to him to inquire politely. He shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know what happened, but could call me a cab. I said fine. I waited for 35 minutes, no cab appeared. I marched back to the front desk person and asked where my cab was...and he said he tried to call them once but the line was busy....he left me standing there waiting for 35 minutes and didn't even bother to call the taxi company back, or even let me know what was going on. The other bad experience was that this hotel serves a free continental breakfast, but the hotel checkin NEVER TOLD ME THIS. I only found out about it on my last day there when I checked out early in the morning and saw a food spread laid out!!! Don't stay here!! It is not comfortable, not physically located conveniently to anything such that u have to take a taxi everywhere, and the service is terrible!

4  Thank travellots99