Hotel Lavas Tacotal
Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$316
$224
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$299
Hotel Lavas del Arenal(La Fortuna de San Carlos)(Great Value!)
$200
$85
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$465
$138
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Lodge(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$113
$96
Travelocity
$213
$201
Priceline
Volcano Lodge & Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$177
$92
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$468
Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$103
$86
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Rancho Cerro Azul(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$72
$66
Travelocity
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 28, 2007

i contacted grettel on their website and stayed with them for one night on feb. 20th, and it was a really good stay., specially for the view of the volcano. Its quite panoramic as some say. I was happy to keep in touch with family by using the internet facility they have at the hotel. I am such an internet junkie I have to stay connected and even though this is the jungle, I was able to keep in touch.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Rockland County, New York
Reviewed July 5, 2006

This particular hotel is located about 2 miles from the arenal volcano. My experience with this hotel is that it is very different. It has interesting and unique lodging areas. There are somewhat like cabins. I stayed in a ´´unit´´ which consisted of 2 queen beds and 1 single. I went with a tour group so we had to triple up.

Looks can be deceiving...Overall the accomodations were nice. However, there was a security/theft issue with some of the people on our tour. Someone broke into their unit and stole some valuables, such as cameras and ipods. Another couple that was staying the same time we were had their wallets and passports stolen. During the first night, one of the people in my tour saw someone jumping out of his window.

My suggestion is that you should keep everything with you...in a passport holder or bag. (your passport, boarding pass, wallet, credit/debit cards, etc.) It is much safer than leaving it in the room unless there is a safety deposit box.

Overall, the view was amazing. While I was there, the pool was under construction so I could not experience the swimming area. However, there was a pool bar. I did not have a chance to have a drink because there were so many activities to do outside of the hotel.

There were also some insects. I mean this is Costa Rica, but I saw this huge beetle lying on its back trying desperately to get up, and a frog of some sort in the room jumping around.

It is shame that this awful event had to happen in this unique hotel. I believe if the hotel puts walls surrounding the ´´units´´ it wil ruin the scenery. I guess it is a risk they and the guests have to take to witness the volcano in action.

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
ManagerLavas, Manager at Hotel Lavas Tacotal, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2008

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to write about Hotel Lavas Tacotal. The hotel is under new ownership and in the process of upgrading the hotel to global standards. I invite you to consider Hotel Lavas Tacotal next time you come to Costa Rica. You'll be more than satisfied once you see the changes.

Regards,

Alejandro

Reviewed April 2, 2006

We stayed here for two nights. The place lost electricity for 6 hours. The staff made no apologies or attempts to accomodate for the loss. There was no workout room as advertised. No massage as advertised. Food was cold when it was supposed to be hot. Missing lightbulbs in the room.

Stayed: March 2006
1  Thank GMWHITELBTS
Reviewed April 1, 2006

We stayed two nights in the newer junior suites. Nice balcony...although too bad it didn't face the volcano. Great view of the volcano from garden area though. Beds were comfortable. Secure safe and refrigerator in room were a plus. Hot tub in bathroom was terrific once you were in...but be careful of the slippery surface. Bath mats would be helpful. Food was good and during our visit we had an extra surprise of local school children coming to dance for our groups entertainment. They did a great job and even included us in their dancing at the end. Staff very friendly but with some translation difficulties...we were fortunate to have a bilinqual guide with us to help with translation.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank dasher2
A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed February 19, 2006

We were originally booked at the Arenal Paraiso Lodge, but they overbooked and stuck us at this hotel, claiming it was "an upgrade". It was not. The property consists of individual cabins and what appeared to be the "old" hotel- two sections of Motel 6 quality lodging. The cabins looked cute, but we were put in a room in the "old" portion. From what we could tell, the older portion used to be office space (?) because the front door was glass and looked like one you'd find in a commercial building. The drapes over the door and the window were also semi-transparent, and we therefore had to dress in the bathroom. We felt like we were in a fishbowl.

The food at the hotel was by far the worst we experienced in Costa Rica. It was always buffet, and seemed to cater to the large tour groups that book this place. The only plus was that breakfast was included in the room rate.

The hotel appeared to have a few redeeming qualities (the first two we were unable to experience because of rainy weather): a clear view of the volcano and a decent looking pool (also with a view of the volcano). The rooms, while completely lacking character, were clean, and the beds were comfortable. It is only for these reason that I'm not giving it a one-star rating.

Overall, Arenal is a beautiful but very touristy place, and this hotel obviously takes advantage of its location. It has little else to offer.

• Stayed: February 2006