“Great Day in Arenal area birding with Diego”

Diego Birding & Nature Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Diego Quesada is a Costa Rican born and raised nature lover with 10 years of experience working as Certified Naturalist Guide and Birdwatcher in Costa Rica. With a degree in Natural Resources Management and currently involved with Bird Monitoring Projects and Sustainability Consulting. There's nothing quite like nature. And that's just what you're going to experience with Diego Birding & Nature. Not only do we offer private birdwatching and hiking tours for different experience levels in Costa Rica and specially Arenal area, but we will also arrange all kind of fun and adventurous activities for you to enjoy!
Houston, Texas
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Great Day in Arenal area birding with Diego”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

Diego picked me up at my hotel at 5:30AMnd we birded until about 230PM. He was very knowledgable, had a scope and spoke excellent english. We saw over 100 species (remember in June there are no N. American/Texan migrants to pad the day list--so very high percentage of lifers) without driving all over including many spectacularly colorful birds. He knew the sounds too which is a equirment in the jungle. Diego was also a nice person to spend a day with. He really knew the spots and species in Arenal as he only lives minutes away. His fee was reasonable and he responded promptly to email from the USA.

Visited June 2014

Gaithersburg, MD
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best birding in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

Based on reviews on tripadvisor we decided to hire Diego to take us birding in the Arenal area on our recent trip to Costa Rica. We had an amazing day with Diego! He managed to find 105 species of birds in a single day for us with excellent views of many including all three crachids (Crested Guan, Chachalaca, Currasow), several flycatchers including my favorite the long-tailed tyrant, three toucan species, several tanagers including bay-headed tanager and honeycreepers, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, woodcreepers, treerunners, several raptors including several looks at laughing falcons, Montezuma oropendora and best of all a mixed flock of antbirds (including ocellated , spotted, immaculate and other antbirds) that were foraging over a battalion of army ants. I got some great photos! I had originally asked to go to a certain location, but Diego based on his experience suggested a few different locations instead and I am glad we followed his recommendation, since all of them were great. My wife who is not a birder also really enjoyed seeing a lot of the birds, but was getting a bit disappointed since we had not seen other animals. She really wanted to see a sloth, so Diego found us not one but 3 sloths (covering both species 3-toed and 2-toed). Just when we thought we were done with the day, Diego kept going and found us a red-eyed tree frog, a basilisk lizard as well as Caiman in one of the reserves! We ended the day with great looks at an American Pygmy Kingfisher, a barred antshrike as well as a female Currasow with 2 chicks! What an awesome day. Diego is very friendly by nature and he is also very passionate about nature and wildlife. He is quite knowledgeable in the field and is able to locate birds by sounds. We did not have a car, so Diego came a picked us up and also drove us around. He also had a good scope that we used several times to get great looks at birds. We really had an amazing time with him. I am planning to return to Costa Rica in a future trip and I will definitely look to hire Diego again for some great birding and wildlife adventure.

Visited June 2014
Orlando, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“Best birding and nature experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

We spent a week in Costa Rica in March ’14 with Diego specifically for his Birding knowledge. We got that knowledge and much more. Diego’s awareness of nature is only surpassed by his passion to share it. We first visited San Gerardo de Dota where we saw Quetzals and lots of different bird species. I think the hotel where we stayed (Savegre Mountain Lodge) was Hummingbird heaven as I have never seen so many hummingbirds in one place. We also took a hike to see a waterfall that took us through an amazing oak forest. There we encountered a monkey family along the way. It was pretty cool to see them swinging above our heads as they moved through the forest.
Next we headed to the Tapanti National Park area. On the way there we first visited Cerro de la Muerte. At +11k feet up the views were amazing. This is a must visit on the clear day. We then continued our trek to the Orosi area where we stayed at the Hotel Sanchirí. This hotel sits on the side of the mountain where we were completely surprised by the incredible view of the valley. Even more surprising was the number of different species of birds right on the hotel property. I would have been happy birding right there the whole day. Diego met us at 6am every morning to start our birding day. We were amazed with Diego’s ability to spot and identify birds. I enjoy nature photography and usually readily located birds, but I’ve got nothing on Diego. He is simply amazing.
At Tapanti we hiked to a river where we took pictures of birds and water rapids and then stopped for a picnic lunch. My nephew also swam and jumped from large boulders into the river. It was a great day. Again, Diego shared his endless knowledge of birds and plants. At the end of every day he would review our birding books with us so we could capture all of our sightings.
This was a great vacation and Diego made sure it was fun as well as a great learning experience. We will definitely call on him again for a future trip.

Visited March 2014
Heredia, Costa Rica
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Un tour inolvidable!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

I've been in many tours around Costa Rica, and I have to say that the most professional Birding Tour I did was with Diego. Not only because we saw really cool birds thanks to Costa Rica's rich biodiversity but to spot them so easily is a really hard work. Thats when you can evaluate a guide, Diego was very quick not only to spot them but to recognize the common and scientific name of each one. Thats pretty amazing!! I was by myself doing the tour but there where other turists that came along and we had a really nice group. Diego can definately make everybody interact and I never felt left out of any information given. We had a blast and laughed the whole way! Such a fun learning experience and thanks to Diego the best Birding tour ever!! Way to go Diego!! Pura Vida!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Kimberly B
Brooklyn, New York
“Great guide, amazing places to visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Diego is an amazing guide, my parents, my children and i really appreciated his patience, thoughtfulness and knowledge about Costa Rica. I would highly recommend him to my friends and relatives.

Nellie L.

Visited April 2014
Diego Q, Gerente at Diego Birding & Nature Day Tours, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Thank you very much Nellie, I had a nice time with you and your familie, it was a pleasure to share a little bit of Costa Rica with you all.

Hope you come back soon!
Diego