“Loved this place!”
Review of Arenal Volcano Inn

Arenal Volcano Inn
Reviewed February 20, 2007

We visited Arenal Volcano Inn for 2 nights and loved it. The staff was so friendly and willing to help with anything. We even saw one of the girls in town (off duty) and she made a point to say hello with a big smile and ask how we were doing. I can't say enough about EVERY one of them.
The room was very spacious and being able to lay in bed and watch the volcano was wonderful. We had fresh flowers in the room. We asked for more towels (only had 2 in the room) and got them. I wish they would provide washclothes and an alarm clock also but these were the only, very minor, things we think they could improve on.
Only a $4-5 taxi ride to the town.
Restaurant was very good and pretty reasonable. Again, excellent service and cool view of the volcano.
We stayed 2 nights at the Tabacon also. While it was very nice, I will stay at the Arenal Volcano Inn if we go back. It's not as big and fancy but the staff, volcano view, and price have my vote!

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank Stacey1840

Reviewed February 16, 2007

Each individual cabin offers an excellent level of privacy. The modern and spacious rooms each have a commanding view of Arenal Volcano. The staff was friendly and super helpful and the restaurant attached to the hotel, Que Rico, is to this day one of the best (and affordable) Italian restaurants I've eaten at (the owner would hand roll the pasta every afternoon for that evening's dinner)!
This is a destination place I would go back to again and again!!!

Stayed: February 2007
6  Thank journalistjenni
Reviewed January 20, 2007

This is one of the many hotels along the road between La Fortuna and Tabacon, and is very similar to many of the others- each room is a separate little bungalow with a view of the volcano when it's not covered by clouds. It was reasonably comfortable, but they were very stingy with the towels (two not-large towels for two people), the room smelled moldy, and the housekeeping accidentally locked us out of our room one day (sounds petty but is really frustrating when you get back to the room late and can't figure out why your key doesn't work)! Hotel Paraiso is better, and Lomas del Volcan somewhat better. The one nice thing was the breakfast, which was the best we had in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CABayArea
Reviewed January 19, 2007

I stayed at the Arenal Volcano Inn in December 2006. The staff was very nice and the food in the restaurant was great. I didn't LOVE the rooms as others did. I actually found them a bit big and cold. Unfortunately (as I hear is common), it was overcast while I stayed there, so I didn't get to see the lava show. But the area was beautiful, and I was able to see and do many things (canopy, waterfall rappelling, hiking at the National Park).

I took a shuttle from San Jose to Arenal and I got sick on the way there, so for the remainder of my trip, I took flights to my destinations. This is the way to go! A short flight and I was from LaFortuna to Quepos. Another short flight, and I was back in San Jose. I would never do it differently.

When I was booking my trip, I was comparing the Arenal Volcano Inn to the Arenal Springs Inn (a newer property with fewer reviews). I picked the Arenal Volcano Inn because of the great reviews, and while I certainly have nothing BAD to say about the Arenal Volcano Inn, I'm not convinced that I wouldn't stay anywhere else next time.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank AvidSaver
Reviewed January 19, 2007

Good:
We loved this place, and we in fact have been recommending it to friends that also were in Costa Rica. We booked through Vacation City, and paid about $100/night. The location is great - about a 10 minute taxi ride into the city (about $5). The service was wondering - they even made us a breakfast to go the night before we had to leave on an early morning! The pool area and gardens are really nice, too. The rooms were very clean, and the room was really nice! The BEST part, was the view of the lava from the volcano, which we watched as we layed in bed. Can't get better than that! Oh, and we loved the hot tub!

Bad:
The restaurant, however, was Italian, and pretty expensive. We were looking for something more authentic/Costa Rican. The rooms were really nice and clean, but not super luxury. And, they really seem to push doing expensive tours, when a lot of the activities are easy to do on your own.

Weather notice:
The lady at the desk told us the best time to see the volcano is September, when there are no clouds. We were there in December, and it was pretty cold, a little rainy, and really cloudy. We got lucky and saw the lava one night, but only on the bottom half of the volcano.

Basically, this was a wonderful place to stay! We would go back in a minute!

Stayed: January 2007
6  Thank worldtravelermn
Reviewed January 9, 2007

Everything about this place was better than I had expected. The view of lava from really was quite cool. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Breakfast was a standard buffet with decent omelet’s, fruit, juice, and pretty good gallo pinto. Room service Pizza was also very good. The restaurant sometimes gets a bus load of tourists that basically take over, so we had a couple bad, over-priced cocktails and went to La Choza de Laurel for a great meal. Rooms are big, as are the showers. The beds are not that great, but I remembered to open my eyes every time I turned over to watch the show and it was alright. The pool looks nice; it was too cool at night to enjoy it. The jacuzzi is great (make sure you tell them to turn the heat on), but you can't see the volcano from it, bummer. Overall, a great value with an equally great staff.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FutureExpatriates
Reviewed January 2, 2007

This was a gem of a hotel. The rooms were surely large enough, and very clean. The hotel staff could not have been more helpful. They really went out of their way to make certain we were happy with out stay and provide directions to other CR locations.

The food in the restaurant was quite good and the grounds were perfectly manicured. It also had a view of Arenal Volcano. Unfortunately, it was shrouded in clouds while we were there.

I would highly recommend this location and hotel.

• Stayed: December 2006