“Beautiful Inn”
Review of Arenal Volcano Inn

Arenal Volcano Inn
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Even though there are dozens of hotels in the Arenal Volcano area, Arenal Volcano Inn was a unique experience to me. It’s a small and cozy hotel with great location – great views to the volcano and close to the most interesting and beautiful spots in the area.
One of the things I liked most about this hotel, apart from its obvious natural attributes all around it, was the friendliness and kindness of the staff. The front desk staff would always advice on where to go and what to do.
There’s a nice, quiet and peaceful atmosphere anywhere you go. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with amazing views from the front porch area. The Deluxe rooms were particularly nice - beautifully designed ‘cabinas’ set back from the road and swimming pool, making it a very tranquil and relaxing experience.
Another great feature of this outstanding Inn is its restaurant and pizzeria. They offer a wide variety of typical Costa Rican dishes as well as International food, at a very reasonable price.
Choosing Arenal Volcano Inn was definitely a smart decision – a great value for your money. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Arenal Volcano Inn

Reviewed February 22, 2010

This small hotel has cabanas with a lovely view of Arenal volcano. Each has a front porch area that faces the volcano, so I could get up early and watch the birds and volcano with my binos until the clouds moved to give me a view of the top. It was very quiet and peaceful with beautiful gardens all around. Delicous hot breakfast included in the good restaurant. Our room was spacious, very comfy, and included frig, microwave, and coffee pot. And the price was less than many other hotels with similar amenities.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2010

With so many options in the area we weren't sure where to book a room. The Volcano Inn turned out to be a great choice. Our room was really a very large stand-alone cabin which was clean, nicely designed and set back from the road so it was quiet. The pool area is very nice and the restaurant serves decent, reasonably priced food. I would recommend a Deluxe Cabin away from pool (not rooms 101-104 which are lined up like a motel).

Our room had a great view of the volcano (when the clouds cleared - it seems early mornings may be your best bet). But for better views, take a late afternoon drive up the dirt road near the lake. It's same rough road leading to the Arenal Observatory Lodge (which we heard very mixed reviews on from other travelers - food is terrible) and you will find several nice turn offs just before the lodge entrance that provide stunning volcano views when the sky is clear. This is the active side, so you might see steaming boulder tumbling down.

For nearby hot springs, we were steered to Ecotermales Fortuna which is directly across from the busy, crowded Baldi Resort. Reservations are required and they limit the number of guests. Beautiful, quiet pools in the jungle perfect for adults and couples. Baldi is better for kids and the younger party crowd. Either charges about $26 which is far less than Tabacon Resort. For the really low budget option, try Terminales Los Laureles near the Volcano Inn which has basic swimming pools for local families and is only $9 - altho you may be the only gringos there.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2009

There is so much hype about hotel rooms having a view to the Arenal Volcano. Most of the time it's covered in a thick haze so don't pick a room or hotel based on that. Every place will advertise they have great views.

This hotel has separate casitas and winding paths. We were near the end and glad we didn't bring too much luggage as you have to carry it yourself. The room had 2 queen sized beds a little tv, a fridge and a bathroom, enough space but there were many things we didn't like.

The room smelled musty, the sheets and pillows smelled old and musty (they were washed), they only give you 2 towels each day for showering and using the pool, the ac was broken and toilet ran, and if it rains be prepared to be up all night. The roof just clangs when it's raining and I was woken up every night.

The front desk staff did have someone fix the toilet and the ac before we went to bed for the night, so that was nice.

We enjoyed the buffet breakfast as we're vegan and were able to have fruit, juice and gallo pinto and plantains.

The rest of the restaurant food was not vegan friendly or very appealing. There was one waitress who didn't look happy to do her job, forgot to bring us water and never checked that we had what we needed. We felt as if we were an inconvenience to her. The hotel was not very busy, we did not see any other guests but tour groups seemed to have dropped in to eat at the restaurant.

The free internet computer is frustrating. You cannot type an @ symbol to check your email and there are no instructions how to do it on that keyboard.

We ended up doing a tour near the volcano and stopping for dinner and hot springs. This was well worth it. The next day we went to the Tabacon for the whole day to enjoy the springs and ended up eating there at the buffet. The food was much better there.

This place looks nice and the gardens are beautiful and green, but the building is dated and I just don't think the staff really care about customers. It was low season but I don't know. I never saw a manager either.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tropicaltravels6
Reviewed December 4, 2009

My wife & I stayed at the Arenal Volcano Inn in November, 2009. We were very pleased. The grounds are immaculate. Our room (#9) was wonderful, with a huge picture window giving a panoramic view of the volcano. The staff, especially at the front desk, were tremendous at giving us advice on what to doo and see- without pushing any particular company. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2009

The staff is great, very friendly. The room was comfortable with a very comfortable and nice bed, Jacuzzi and a breathtaking view to the Arenal Vulcan.
We diced to have a massage in the SPA and the experience was the best in my life. The couple massage was great.
In the afternoon I saw around 10 monkeys playing around over the trees the area. It was a great experience.
I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2009

I went to Costa Rica for dental work. After 6 days at a surgery retreat, I needed to getaway to see some wildlife. I booked an overnight trip through Expediciones Tropicales. They arranged for a bus to pick me up at my hotel, then we picked up 7 other people at various places. After a brief stop at Sarchi, we arrived at Arenal Volcano Inn for a buffet lunch (included). This ended up being my hotel also, so while there, I checked in. No hitches, the staff were very nice. Then we got back on the bus and went to Tabacon for a day of water relaxation in those gorgeous waterfalls. Then we had dinner (included) - lovely meal. Then an aborted attempt to see the lava flows.
Back to the hotel, where I was the only one staying. Most others returned to San Jose.
The bed was very nice - the room has an interesting feature - when you leave the room, and remove the key from its slot, all the utilities are turned off. An energy saving feature. There was a television, and the shower was very nice.
Next morning I had a nice breakfast ( not fancy, but a lovely open air facility) and spent the morning birding from the grounds. They are manicured and lovely, with a very nice pool. The staff were very friendly and most spoke very good English. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo