Arenal Volcano Inn
Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$142
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Lomas del Volcan(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$120
  • Breakfast included
Hotel El Silencio del Campo(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$173
Arenal Lodge(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$114
$99
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$240
$180
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of $249/night.

Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$217
$211
$256
Arenal Manoa Hotel(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$286
$149
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of $191/night.

Volcano Lodge & Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$200
$162
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$332
TripAdvisor
1,057 results
All reviewsque ricoarenal volcanocosta ricapool and hot tubdeluxe roomkitchen areahot springson site restaurantbeautiful viewcomplimentary breakfastloved this hotelstaff was very friendly and helpfulmini fridgecab rideshort drivecoffee makertown of la fortuna
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at this place for two nights as a solo person but part of an escorted tour group. I had chosen the "Plan B" hotel and found this place to be very nice, room was clean and staff very helpful. As others have stated, the property is beautiful. I took a few strolls around the property and saw many birds and even the cows on the farm next door. We arrived when it was dark so it was a huge surprise to wake up and look out the window to see the volcano steaming away!

Restaurant food was good and service very good. Wait staff makes sure you are satisfied. Breakfast is included and again, staff very accommodating. They even remembered my name each day!

The location is fairly close to the hot spring spas, the Fortuna waterfall and the town. A cab ride was about 15 minutes to the waterfall and it was $16 one way and $8 on the way back (don't know how they figure the rates...)

I read the reviews prior to going and my response to those with some of the low ratings is the following:
1) Regarding noise, my experience throughout Costa Rica (stayed in US chains and local hotels) was that the non-US chains don't have the same "soundproofing" construction criteria that the higher end chains do... That is why I bring silicone earplugs on all trips...
2) In an effort to be sustainable, the hotel asks you to let them know about using the hot tub 10 minutes prior so they can turn on the heat. It was quite nice then! Read the handout they give you when you check in.
3) If you bring an internet capable device (phone, tablet, laptop), you can access wireless in room and don't have to use the lone computer in the reception area.
4) Regarding the bugs, our guide told us that no matter how hard one tries, it is virtually impossible to keep all the bugs out of any room because of the climate. There are bugs everywhere! I escorted one spider and one centipede out of my room on night one and didn't see any other bugs after that. Even in the well appointed Radisson in downtown San Jose, there were bugs!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank PopLol
Avimanager, Owner at Arenal Volcano Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Dear PopLol,

Thank you very much for taking the time to make such a detailed review about Arenal Volcano Inn and your personal experience at our small hotel. I will also like to give you a special thank you for going over other reviews and leting other travelers know your point of view about what some of them mentioned.
We do hope to have you visiting us in the near future!

Thank you very much.

Hernan Cordero.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I haven't actually stayed at this hotel yet but I was recommended to eat at the Restaurant by Discovery Costa Rica, our travel agent, so I took my family there. The restaurant had a very cozy look from the outside and when we got in, we found out that it had a very cozy mountain lodge feel to it. The atmosphere was a very informal, international and local, friendly type, everybody chatting, laughing ..... nice. There are some large wooden tables available for groups which gave that "Italian family dinner" feeling. People passing food, bread going around the table... a lot of activity..... and this is the rainy season!
We all had pasta dishes and they were absolutely gorgeous, as was our desert The staff at this place were really friendly, not formal but down to earth, our waiter was cracking jokes with us, we enjoyed that too. An overall family atmosphere. Definitely going back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My fiance and I took a 14 day trip through Costa Rica. The first 10 were spent in a much more secluded part of the country so some of the con's are really through no fault of the hotel or location it just so happens that this is a much more touristy spot in Costa Rica. PRO'S: This hotel was clean, the rooms were spacious and for the price very accomodating. The 2 girls at the front desk were very helpful with all our requests and very patient as we tried to call outside the country on my fiance's birthday. There were beautiful flowers in the vacinity and you could hear the monkeys in the trees at night although I never saw any. We did have a bat hanging out on our front porch one night though.CON'S: Upon arrival you are branded with a neon colored bracelet by the hotel staff. You are suppose to wear this bracelet during your entire stay in order to redeem your complimentary breakfast buffet as well as to have entry to the parking area by security. In theory this is a good idea but this also brands you as a tourist as you stroll around town and even more so a tourist that is NOT in their hotel room. This is something you wear when you go to a night club not a hotel. The breakfast buffet was not bad but it wasn't anything to write home about either. I had some coffe and fruit and called it a day. All in all not a bad choice for the price but not something I would consider a fabulous experience.
Another cool thing, we actually saw the clouds lift from the volcano! Everyone says this does not happen but it did!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie O

Dear Julie O,
Thank you for your comments and all the detailed information about Arenal Volcano Inn that you wrote in your review. We are constantly trying to improve in order to give all our future and returning guests a better experience. About the bracelet now days it is actually voluntary to use it and almost all hotels in the area use them as a distinctive for their guests.
Hernan Cordero.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed for one night here and I wish I'd stayed longer! The staff are very friendly, happy to speak in Spanish or English, and the view is unbelievably beautiful. I was in room 107 and I recommend it to anyone! You can wake up in the morning looking straight at the volcano. The rooms are lovely and quiet and very spacious. The food and drinks are reasonably priced and internet and breakfast are included. The spa is okay but just a warning that you will pay US prices but won't get the same money's worth you would back home. A must-do instead if visit one of the many hot springs in the area - I went to Baldi Springs and it was amazing!

Room Tip: Room 107 was awesome!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Avimanager, Owner at Arenal Volcano Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thanks for the very positive review. We definitely look forward to having you back soon and staying with us longer! Please let us know next time you come out so we may hold room 107 for you. In the spirit of your comment that we are happy to speak Spanish or English: Me alegra mucho que disfrutara la vista desde la habitacion y que pudieran tambien probar la comida en el restaurante. Referring to the spa, thank you for letting us know about your experience, the spa is separately managed, so I will look into making the necessary changes.
Once again thank you very much!
Hernan.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

we were there for 2 nights during our one week trip to Costa Rica.
the hotel is very clean and green and all the day we saw people taking care of the hotel.
they helped us we attractions and explantions of how to get to places. every question we had they tried to help us- they even helped us to plan the drive to MONTEVERDE.
The breakfest is great and like any other hotel it's a traditional one.
The location is just outside the city but it's a 5 minutes drive so it's nice not to be so close - it's a crappy tourist town (la Fortuna).
the cost is a little expensive (96 dollars per night) but it's still worth it.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view to the volcano and it doesn't matter if you stay at the begining of the hill or at the bottom - as long as you have a clean line of sight to the mountain ( and it's a beauty)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Avimanager, Owner at Arenal Volcano Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear PazM, Thank you very much for taking the time to inform us and future travelers about your experience at the Arenal Volcano Inn. I am glad to hear that you liked the location of our small hotel and it is specially good to hear that our staff was willing to help you when you needed it. I love to assist guests in their adventures while they discover Costa Rica. We hope to have you visiting us again in the near future.
Thank you very much!