“Great place worth your money”
Review of Hotel Arenal Jireh

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Hotel Arenal Jireh
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed in that hotel last week. I usually don’t consider that hotel during my visits in La Fortuna but this time I tried and i was pleased. It is a clean nice small hotel located in La Fortuna downtown. It has air-conditioning, cable TV, Wifi in the rooms, hot water, nice beds and even a little fridge and a balcony and not expensive. Good place to stay!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Arenal Jireh

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I knew Hotel Jireh sits right smack in the middle of the city so some traffic noise I was expecting. I actually thought for $40 the rooms were impressive in terms of the beds, the tv, having a safe and a bathroom. Agreed that it is pretty dated and is in need of an overhaul as the AC barely works... however I paid $40 a night. Moving on.

I too was shocked by the rooster problem that is here. Him and his friends were in full force very very very early in the morning. The road noise is loud and included a car alarm that some tourists failed to recognize belonged to them at 1 a.m. So between the ATVs, the rooster and the car alarm I'll admit I am tired. Tonight I plan to locate some earplugs and will hope for maybe a nap as well. La Fortuna is a precious town. you want peace and quiet.... go somewhere else but dont let the noise turn you away from enjoying the city

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

We decided to stay here being a group of twenty people wanting to save some bucks. At $25 per person a night I guess u can't ask for much. Rooms are clean and decent. Matresses were uncomfortable and it gets kinda noisy at night. Good location though, about two blocks away u will find "soda la hormiga" where u will find good food and the restaurant next to the hotel lobby "ghecko" also has good food but pricier than the soda place.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed here as part of our tour group that was travelling around Costa Rica.

This hotel had friendly front-desk staff, and was helpful in calling taxis and getting information we needed.

The room was clean but the beds were uncomfortable. The washroom was clean but never enough towels. They would take two but leave one clean one behind. The room had a television with cable, and rooms were equip with free wi-fi. Unfortunately the safe did not work. Good think we brought our own locks, etc. Our room had a refrigerator (but not all rooms have this feature).

The location was in the middle of this small city. Perfect for getting around. You are near 3 groceries store, so you can stock items in your room. Food in this town is not the cheapest as it is a tourist town, I strongly suggest using the grocery stores.

Overall this stay was average. Nothing really stood out for me, but also nothing extremely horrible happened either.

Keep in mind I went during off season.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clumsythief
Reviewed February 4, 2012

In the busy tourist village of La Fortuna, you will find many tourist activities. My Costa Rica national friends told me it is a very safe community. Withing viewing distance of the Volcano Arenal, the scenery is tropical and lush. There are many international tourists partaking in the fun activities like zip lines, rafting, biking, and just soaking in hot springs resorts. You would never expect to get robbed.

That is just what happened to us. Unfortunately, even in La Fortuna there are crack heads and thieves. Upon checking in to the Hotel Jireh at the center of activity in the town, we were pleased to find they had a safe in our room. Or friends were not as fortunate as the safe had been removed from their room.

As a safety precation they had asked to put their valuables inot our safe. With everything secured, we were off to the hot springs resort for a relaxing soak. The beautiful gardens and faux waterfalls hitting you with hot water and relaxing pools were just what we needed after the usual crazy drive through the countryside. Aside from getting a slight concussion in the high speed, insanely engineered, waterslide, the experience was a tourist's dream.

We returned to Hotel Jireh shortly after dark and decided in our relaxed, post hot tub manner to walk across the street to the Lava Lounge for a beer and dinner. Here is where it all went wrong. Since we feel we needed some credit cards and phones to catch up on texts and calls, we all removed our iPhones and I took my wallet.

We had a great dinner at the Lava Lounge, but upon returning to our room we had quickly realized we had been robbed. The door was open, the safe door had been broken open. There were passports, credit cards, and miscelanious items scattered about the bed. We took quick account of what appeared to be missing and found Mari's cash, credit card, Colorado Driver's License, jewelry and Costa Rican photo ID were gone. Tim had $700 in cash in an envelope inside a ziplock that contained a toothbrush and other toiletries in the safe. They did not find the money, or realize a toothbrush does not warrant being locked in a safe, so it was left on the bed with the passports. We're talking crackheads here folks, not Mission Impossible.

The next day we went to the Police station for a report. The tourist police were very helpful. They made reports including searching the watch, etc. on the internet. They said the hotel is responsible because we used their safe. The manager refused to even offer an extra night's stay. Then he told us to get out as he had rented our room.

If you go to Jireh, do not stay in room 7 or 10 as they are on the end which makes them great to case. You are being watched. The door jams also have permanent screwdriver marks in them from previous breakins. The manager told me he is the one using a screwdriver when tourists lokc in the key. If that is the case, why doesn't he crawl through the window over the shower as the lock for it has been permanently broken off. The other rooms on the second floor had less obvious marks on the door, so they get broken into less often. Since the safe was missing in room 9, I asume they moved it to room 7 so it could be broken again.

I think it is best to avoid Hotel Arenal Jireh. Even though it appears to be safe, they have been broken into several times according to the police. It is noisy, unfriendly, and obviously your safe is not safe. The security guard showed up an hour after the robbery. Coincidence?

If you go to La Fortuna as most tourists traveling to Costa Rica do at some time in their vacation, stay out of town at one of the cabana resorts where it is quiet and safe. I stayed at Roca Negra the next night. It is about 2 km west of town near the hot springs resort. www.rocanegrainn.com They have beautiful gardens, clean rooms, abundant wild birds and a flock of domestic chickens, ducks, geese, and peacocks that roam the grounds freely. Muy tranquilo!

Room Tip: Do not take room 7 or 10. You will be robbed. C
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jon H
Reviewed January 9, 2012

it was our first trip to Costa Rica, during the New Year, so we picked what was available.

The hotel is clean and cheap. Rooms are a bit dated, but everything worked.

Location is pretty good - center of the town La Fortuna, and we could see Arenal Volcano right from our bed.

Staff is OK, but not very fast.
Breakfast was basic "Tico Tipical". There was a sushi restaurant that looked great, on the 2nd floor. However, with so many other options steps away we never ended up in this restaurant.

Room Tip: third floor rooms have great views of volcano and La Fortuna downtown
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed in the hotel for one night in one of the nice rooms on the top floor. While the room was OK and the view very nice, it was terribly loud at night. we heard everything from the adjacent room and from the street. The free Internet is unusable slow and the breakfast wasn't that good. The staff was really nice though.

• Stayed: November 2011