“NIce but ANTS”

Hotel Villas Vilma
Milwaukee
“NIce but ANTS”
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I chose this hotel because of the favorable reviews on Tripadvisor. Overall, when I first arrived, I was pleased. Nicely sized room/bathroom, beautifully manicured landscape and we had to pool to ourselves. However, most of our hotels had free breakfast and this one did not, so a little value lost there. That would have been fine though. My biggest issue was that when we came back after dinner there were ants everywhere. Now, I know bugs happen tropical climates, my family is from a tropical climate. However, I couldn't walk without stepping on one, they were crawling up the walls, even falling. I was afraid they would fall on me if I did not cover myself from head to toe. I realized we could "freeze them out" by putting the AC on full blast. I ended up going somewhere else the next day and that place was literally deep in the woods and did not have the same ant issue I encountered here. If you don't mind that one issue, I could recommend it, for me however, I decided to try something different.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 10, 2010

The last reviewer was correct: This place is a hidden gem. It was a clean room, with decent air conditioner and cable TV. Also a refrigerator. Best features, though, were the garden sounds from your porch, as well as the pool and hot tub. Other notes: It is about a 25-30 minute hike into Fortuna town, but there are some decent restaurants across the street. Avoid the pizza place directly across the street, however. There's also a grocery within easy walking distance. Best of all was the cost, including taxes, per night in late Nov. 2009: $40. But no breakfast included.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Philadelphia
Reviewed November 19, 2009

...but Hotel Villas Vilma deserves a great review. Our shuttle arrived at the cozy, locally owned and run accommodation after dark. Imagine our surprise when the next morning, we look out the window and see a clear shot of the smoking Volcan Arenal. In addition to the magnificent volcano views from our patio and the well-maintained garden, the room was clean, the shower was spacious, and we were able to keep snacks and drinks in the refrigerator.

Villas Vilma was quiet throughout the three nights we stayed there. The pool and hot tub were equally impressive (again volcano views), and the tile work in and around the pool area was beautiful.

Villas Vilma is located away from the town of Arenal (about 25 minutes by foot, or a couple minutes by taxi). We liked being away from the busier town. There are several sodas within walking distance (our favorite was Soda El Tipico across the street) and also a restaurant that serves pizza, pasta, and other dishes.

On top of it all, Villas Vilma cost less than comparable accommodations in Santa Elena and Playa Samara. I can't speak highly enough about this place.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sbollig
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I stayed at this place last year in August and this year when we returned to Arenal, it was obvious we would return. It is CLEAN, roomy and very beautifully landscaped. My family enjoyed the view of the volcano right for our porch. We enjoyed the hummingbirds right from our porch. It was a great stay at a very economical $50 bucks in the "green season" for 5 of us..3 adults and 2 kids. I would definitely go back. There are supermarkets and sodas(Costa Rican diners), as well as restaurants very close by.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed April 14, 2009

My husband and I, and our son and his fiancee, were here in early March. It was such a clean and great hotel. We loved its central location to La Fortuna and Arenal. The tours we reserved picked us up at the front door. We had a great view of the volcano as we stepped out the front door (if it would have been clear any of the 3 days we were there). The pool and jacuzzi were both clean and the grounds were just beautiful. We paid cash at a room rate of $40 a night. I am very picky about where I sleep and I have to say this was way better than what I expected. I am so glad I stayed here and saved my money for all the fun adventures instead of spending a lot of money on a hotel and only being there to sleep. You won't go wrong with this hotel. Also, there is a great soda within walking distance.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TexasTrekGirl
chicago
Reviewed April 29, 2008

We stayed 2 nights and we visited the Volcan Arenal, the Hot Springs and mny more..
The residence is without doubt welcoming
The hotel is very comfortable, Staff was very helpful and friendly. Our room was very nice and clean, and the shower really has hot water. There is working air conditioning.
The bed is directly enjoys the view of the volcano, the prices reasonable, the garden with a large pool undoubtedly comfortable. We love this place.
We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank colt_72
Newport News, VA
Reviewed February 21, 2008

Staff was very helpful. Tour & taxi pick-up, right outside your room. Room was very clean and nicely decorated. Although the fridge was set on the lowest setting, it froze our eggs? The view of the volcano was right outside our window. A little porch for sitting was very nice to watch wildlife. Beautiful hot tub & swimming pool. The flowers and plants were out of this world! I am a master gardener from Virginia and I only wish that my whole class could visit this place. It must contain every tropical species there is! Their gardener is to be HIGHLY commended for such careful, special, immaculate care of their grounds.

• Liked — Clean, affordable accommondations with excellant view & grounds!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends