“Clean, wonderful view, good service.”
Review of Hotel Villas Vilma

and 1 more site!
Hotel Villas Vilma
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed at Villas Vilma Six years ago, when I went to see the Arenal Volcano.
This year I found the place and I stayed there. Same great service. Clean, decent rooms with a wonderful view. You wake up with a clear view of the volcano.
They also have a small fridge in the hallway and a coffeemaker which was very important for me as I travel with my bag of coffee.
The garden was very well taken care off and it had a small porch with two wooden chairs and a table where you can have your cup of coffee and see the volcano.
The bathroom was very clean - also important.
They have discounted coupons for the Baldi Hot springs- if you ask for them at the reception. So you can pay less and get dinner for free if you pay the entrance at Villas Vilma for the Baldi Hot Springs. Free dinner worked for me.

The price is very good.

Room Tip: All the rooms have view to the volcano so you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 23, 2011

Convenient location -- just outside of the bustling downtown. But, close to other attractions. Rooms were clean. Other interviewers reported problems with ants, but we did not have such an issue. All in all, not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 13, 2011

It was a great choice for my wife and I with our two grown children. We liked being slightly out of the hustle of town yet close enough to get to things we wanted quickly. Vilma and her family do a great job of running the hotel--it was well maintained inside and out. It was everything we wanted at a very good price--great value.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2010

La Fortuna town is not where you want to stay when visiting, you want to be a little bit outside so that you get the view and quite of this lovely area. Hotel Villa Vilma is the perfect balance of economy and leisure. They have a beautiful pool, the staff is very accommodating, and the room were cleaned daily. The only time we had any issue with ants was when we left an open package of chips on the kitchen counter, so don't leave out open food and you'll be fine. All tours come to pick you up at your hotel and a cab into town is only $3, so really no big deal. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to stay in La Fortuna.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank KATRinNYC
Reviewed June 14, 2010

My husband and I came to La Fortuna from Monteverde, so the "downtown" area of La Fortuna caught us by surprise — it seemed much busier and more touristy than Monteverde. That made us all the happier that we were staying at Villas Vilma, which is much, much quieter, about a 15-minute walk from the hubbub of downtown. The property itself is very cute and well-manicured, and there's a nice pool (and a jacuzzi, but we didn't use that). The rooms are nice—we had two beds, plus a refrigerator, bathroom, and TV, and someone came through each day to clean the place. The only time we encountered ants was one we left a plate with crumbs out; other than than, no problems to speak of. Either nobody was occupying the room immediately next to ours (each small "villa" seems to contain units) or they were very quiet; the only true disturbance to our sleep was a rooster that started crowing at 3 am our first night there. The staff was helpful in calling us cabs and checking in with our tour company when a bus arrived late to pick us up for an excursion. Overall, you absolutely can't beat this place for the money; by paying in cash, I think our rate dropped to something like $40 per night.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Villas Vilma is an insanely good value. I live in Costa Rica and my family came to visit during high season and I was desperate to find something "perfect" for our situation with only 2 days notice. Here's what we wanted: a place with that Costa Rican charm, but not in the hustle and bustle of downtown La Fortuna, but not too far from it either because we didn't rent a car, but with volcano views and comfortable and clean...and for under $100 a night. Well, we got all we wanted, plus a pool, jacuzzi, intense cleanliness, and friendly, accommodating service, for $60/night - with 3 people in 3 beds in one spacious room.
I've sent recommended Villas Vilma to other friends who have visited, and all have been equally happy with it!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2010

May 7-9, 2010
Hotel Villas Vilma
Room was ready when we arrived in the early afternoon. We stayed in Villa 70 which is farthest from the road. We could still hear quite a bit of traffic noise as that road is super busy. The location from town was perfect for us. It was about 2 miles or so from downtown Fortuna so it was a quick ride to get to the grocery or restaurants. It was close enough to the Hanging Bridges, Lake Arenal, lava flows, La Fortuna waterfall, canopy tours, ATV. In fact, the location was perfect. The pool was such a bonus. It was clean and refreshing, never crowded. The grounds of the hotel are well kept and pretty. So, the other reviews about the ants are correct. I didn’t think it would bother me as much but it did. There were ants all over the outside walls and patio, chairs and tables making it difficult for me to relax. I really do not like insects and do realize that it is Costa Rica but I come from South Florida which is very tropical but the bugs are kept under control. Anyway, I didn’t like have ants all over me when I’m trying to relax with a cocktail. We kept all food in the refrigerator which was fine but there were ants scurrying all over the bathroom, getting stuck in the soap, infested my toiletry bag and were all in my vitamin case. It was gross. My husband didn’t mind so if you don’t care about ants then no problems. This is basically the only bad thing I can say about Villa Vilma! We did not hear the people next to us through the wall. The a/c was cold and there was also a floor fan. Hot water ran out pretty quick but the water temp is lukewarm from the faucet anyway so I did not mind that. There is not an alarm clock so bring one if your cell phone will not be working. No safe so we took our passports and other valuables with us. There was a tv with cable. We were there off season and paid $40/night cash. This price was reasonable for the accommodations. It was nothing fancy but it was clean. Linens and towels were not luxurious but what do you expect for that price?? I was happy to have a/c and a pool for that price. The ants kind of ruined my relaxation. Maybe they could spray the perimeter of the buildings. I would probably stay again and bring bug spray or something. I didn’t particularly like all the road noise but that was a minor thing for me. There are definitely quieter places to stay though if you are looking for that. The drive from San Jose airport took about 3.5 hours through cloud forests and mountains. It was really fun but give yourself plenty of time!

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple