“Tremendous in all aspects-- villa, grounds, staff, amenities”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Nayara Springs

Nayara Springs
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Tremendous in all aspects-- villa, grounds, staff, amenities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

Our stay in the Villa was top drawer in all aspects. Much has already been said about the property staff; they are tremendous. When traveling in areas like Arenal we go for adventure immersion-- see everything and get to know the area. Staff guide Andre's is exceptional; spend your time & money on a few personal tours for a view of the area you cannot obtain in any other fashion. Andres' connections in the area in addition to extensive knowledge will maximize your chance to view wildlife in the area as well as understanding. We saw birds most National Geographic folks don't get to see. You spent the money to go to one of the top hotel/resorts, so go further by having the personal tour by a top guide. A MUST if you are in for adventure!

Room Tip: Stay in the villas in the Springs; they are spoiling.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank txm4um

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

This place is perfect for anyone wanting extreme spoiling and to get away from it all. Can't believe they have only been open 4 months but I can certainly see why they have skyrocketed to the top of the list.
I stayed in one of the villas - which was so worth it. You have a very private beautifully decorated bungalow with a luxurious bathroom (extra large 2 person indoor rainfall shower and a very large 2 person outdoor rainfall shower courtyard). Including a small fridge and espresso maker. The bedroom flows into a cross between a small seating area/living room with nice sized TV and DVD player. All of this opens onto a very nice size patio with large day bed and private plunge pool which fills with the local mineral springs (not hot but just the right level of warmth). All of this is hidden in beautiful local flora. And through all this flora, there is a view of the Arenal Volcano hidden in mist in the background. It was the perfect balance of privacy vs view. And the mineral springs are blissful after a long day exploring the region.
The restaurant (Amor Loco) is a gastronomic delight and caters to the high end palate. They had a new and interesting spin on all of the dishes I tried. Wonderful service and a relaxing atmosphere with hints of Moroccan decor. The restaurant deserves 5 stars just by itself.
The grounds are maintained immaculately and the level of service is what one would expect of some of the most exclusive hotels around the world. Everywhere you go, the staff goes out of their way to provide whatever you might want.
I can't recommend Nayara Springs highly enough.
There are a few things that one should keep in mind:
1) I did hear people complain about the humidity and rain. Umm - there is a reason it is called RAINforest - the rain is what creates this little paradise so one should assume there will be high humidity and rain.
2) In order to get the lovely views, they have built the hotel on hill making the uphill walks a bit tough so they provide golf carts with driver upon request. These were normally available immediately but during check in and check out times they are in high demand - you might need to wait a while (maybe up to 10 minutes) for a cart. If you can't wait, then make sure to request one ahead of time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

3 Thank CarmodyQ
memphis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

Many people have mentioned how beautiful the resort is, and they are all right. Even though I read all reviews of this resort for months before coming, nothing prepared me for my breathtaking arrival to our the Springs' Villa. The decor is gorgeous!! I think the designers must have combed the world for objects to include in the room. In spite of the variety, everything combines to make a harmonious whole. If I could have purchased the lovely rug at the foot of the bed, I would have done so immediately. The same goes for the bedspread, throw pillows, outdoor furniture, and more. It has been mentioned frequently, how the landscaping creates a feeling of privacy, and this is so true, and wonderful.
There have been many descriptions of the property, so I will not duplicate. I want to mention some features that made this resort so special for us:
Included: good wi fi service, and long distance to the US; same day laundry (actually within a few hours your clothes come back clean and folded); minibar snacks and drinks, including beer. The outdoor shower, complete with plants was so much fun. There were lots of big fluffy towels, and nice bath amenities.
Spa prices which are not "resort" inflated, and excellent services. For me, no experience can compare to being in an elevated spa room, open to nature on three sides, and hearing the birds singing, good night, and the frogs chirping as they get ready for their evening activities. Lovely.
I have to make a special mention of the Springs concierge staff: Yieni, Sharon, William, and our personal concierge, Maricella. Examples: when Maricella saw me walking from our villa, she would always try and help me because she knew I had shaky knees; William replaced the complimentary bottle of wine, which was too sweet for us; and the ladies often called me when Carlotta came to visit their office, because they knew how fascinated I was by this bird. The staff made being at the resort feel like you were part of their community, and not just a first time guest in a foreign resort.
I also must mention the special naturalist on staff, Anders. We went for a tour with him to Eco Danus. It was the best tour we took. He is very knowledgeable about all aspects of the Costa Rican ecosystem, and taught us about everything we were seeing. He really greatly enhanced our experience, and I would not hesitate to take advantage of his expertise.
Btw, other reviewers have complained about children at the Springs. There were children visiting during our visit, but they did not effect the pleasure of our stay.
When we left Nayara Springs, we went to a nice hotel in San Jose, but it was depressing to us.
Nothing could compare to where we had been.

Jairo Q, Manager at Nayara Springs, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We want to thank you for your very generous review of Nayara Springs. Your kind words and positive feedback mean a lot to us and give us motivation to double our efforts to ensure we are meeting, and exceeding, the highest expectations of our guests.

I want you and future guests to know that based on the feedback we have received from members of Tripadvisor we have decided to change our policy regarding families with children. Going forward Nayara Springs will be an adult-only hotel whereas before we accepted reservations for children 14-year-old and above. We will of course honor those reservations made prior to this change. We have also instructed our entire team to request and make sure all guests respect this guideline, we are also in the process of posting very visible signs so that all of our guests are aware of the fact that Nayara Springs is an adult only community.

Kind Regards,

Jairo Quesada
Director of Services, Nayara Hotels.
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

My husband and I loved Nayara Springs! The villa was spacious, beautifully designed, and well-stocked with amenities (romantic poster bed, private plunge pool/hammock/day bed out on the deck with view of the Arenal volcano) to put you in total relaxation mode. The entire resort is clean and well-kept, and all the staff are extremely helpful and friendly (especially our personal host, Marciela). We would recommend getting a package (we got the volcano adventure) as it gives you the best value and you don't have to worry about planning anything and just enjoy your vacation! All the onsite restaurants offer great ambiance, food, drinks, and dessert. Be sure to take advantage of the complimentary yoga in the morning with Lauren - it is held in an open air pavilion with views of the forest, a great way to de-stress and start off your day! Everything about Nayara Springs exceed our expectation - from the time of booking to when we checked out. We had a great time and a memorable experience. We look forward to coming back to Costa Rica and staying at this amazing resort again!

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

Nayara hotel is beyond my wilding dreams. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful! The staff is incredibly friendly and they all speak wonderful english. Yieni, our concierge, was wonderful and helped us schedule all of our excursions. The villa was amazing! It's definitely larger than most NY condos. The villa included an infinity spa, his and her sinks, both indoor and outdoor showers. As others have said, I can't believe the lack of bugs to be in the rainforest. In fact, they have way less bugs than in NC. I would advise staying in the villa for anyone on a romantic getaway.

Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

This property and ALL of the staff are amazing. The views are incredible. Our room was spectacular. We had a private deck and small pool surrounded by tropical plants with a postcard view of the volcano, a huge bedroom and equally huge bathroom with the two sink areas separated by a glass shower, which also had a door out to a double outdoor shower. Anything we needed, any time was immediately provided by a personal host. Free breakfast (basically anything you want, eat in the restaurant or in your room) free minibar (including beer) free laundry. I can't say enough great things. We stayed there for three days and I could have stayed for a week. The only bad experience happened one afternoon, but it could have happened every day we were there: The Springs is attached (by a bridge across a ravine) to the Nayara Hotel/Resort. The Springs is 16 private villas, adults-only, with their own pool (also adults-only) and a beautiful little wine bar and restaurant with pool-side service, and its own Spa.

SO: One warning if you are thinking about staying here - Over the course of one afternoon while we were laying by the pool several families came over from the Resort with young children (some were toddlers with water wings and all) and basically turned the pool area into a day care with lots of screaming, splashing, etc. Not a big deal, but not the "serene, quiet, rejuvenating" experience we had been promised by the web site etc. I have children (grown now) and enjoy their energy, but not when I am in the mood for, and have been promised and paid for, an environment that is quiet, serene and relaxing. It was apparent that the staff in the restaurant and by the pool were not going to ask them to leave and use the Resort pool that is set up for families. We finally went to our Personal Host and told her we were unhappy with the way they were handling this. She said the problem is the front desk at the Resort was NOT informing their guests that this pool was adults only, and even though there was a sign at the entrance of the pool that stated "Quiet / No Splashing / Adults Only" the staff at the pool could not deny entrance to anyone. I can understand how awkward that would be, but the reality is that even though this hotel is AWESOME in every way, if you are really looking forward to an adult-only experience you may be disappointed. In addition, we noticed there were some families staying in several of the villas (again, the web and literature says they are adult only) - which should be fine, but I heard a baby crying several times and the villa next to us had "kids being kids" on the patio which disturbs all of the villas around them. I have to laugh as I read through this review because it sounds like I hate kids and am some kind of a grouchy old hermit. To be clear: I have kids, I love kids, I enjoy their energy, enthusiasm and joy of life. But my wife and I were promised, and paid for an experience at Nayara Springs that sounded so wonderful - relaxing, serene, quiet, luxurious, etc. and we were denied that experience part of the time, because the hotel refused to deny families to the adults-only area. Other than that, again - amazing, beautiful, incredible facility, service and experience:

Room Tip: Villas with higher numbers will be quieter - less noise from the reception/pool area and staff walki...
9 Thank Tom F
Jairo Q, Manager at Nayara Springs, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Nayara. We value your feedback and want you to know we hear your concerns.

We would like to address your comment about your experience with families and children on the property. At Nayara the word "no" does not exist in our vocabulary. For this reason, we struggle when guests show up with children under 14, even though we always explain this is not allowed under our reservation policy. That is also the reason why it is also difficult for us to tell guests that bring their children under 14 to the pool that they need to leave. Having said that we promise to make bigger effort going forward as we understand that it affected your experience at Nayara.

On behalf of our entire team we hope you will give another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Jairo Quesada
Director of Services
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

You cannot go wrong staying in this hotel! We spent 3 nights in the newly constructed spring villa. It was absolutely gorgeous with modern decor, very clean, we saw minimal bugs (amazing in Costa Rica), had a humongous bathroom with his and her sinks/counter space, an indoor and outdoor shower, and your own personal natural hot springs jacuzzi outside. Everyone was so friendly, we could not have enjoyed our stay more! Breakfast and dinner at Amor Loco was delicious. The space felt very comfortable and chic. We were disappointed in our meals when we ventured away from the hotel. If you are looking for a hotel in Arenal, look no further, you'll thank me later!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens
Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens
#2 of 60 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
5.0 of 5 bubbles 3,176 reviews
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#7 of 60 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
#11 of 60 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,304 reviews

Been to Nayara Springs? Share your experiences!