“Awesome Hostel!”

Reviewed August 7, 2013

This hostel is a great stay! Hot water, wifi in the rooms, and fresh linens/towels make for a comfortable visit. We stayed three nights in a private room. Staff is helpful - Alonso was extremely friendly and gave us recommendations for restaurants and things to do. The hostel itself has a chill vibe, with hammocks and tiki huts all around, a cute mini bar, and young visitors. You also have access to the sister property, Arenal Backpackers Resort, until 10pm every day - which is an even more social spot. It is walking distance from all the restaurants and small bars. Overall, a really nice place :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hostel Backpackers La Fortuna

Reviewed July 31, 2013

One of my favorite hostels ever! I stayed here for well over a month during a summer research project, and it was a wonderful experience. First, the location is unbeatable, and the rooms are very clean and well-maintained (I stayed in a single private room). There's a good social scene at the hostel if that's what you're looking for too. Most importantly for me, the staff was incredible-always helpful and friendly- and became good friends of mine during my stay. I was absolutely shocked to see reviews about "thieves" stealing laptops because I am certain that no one there would have done such a thing. I always felt safe here and will be returning for future research projects. I would highly recommend this hostel to any friend who was traveling through the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My friend and I arrived in La Fortuna in the evening after the LONG bus ride from San Jose. We shopped around a bit and found the Hostel Backpackers on our third stop. We met Alonzo who was very polite and accommodating. He helped us book tours, shared his insights on the local restaurants and shoppes and even helped us practice our Spanish.
There were lockers large enough to store our hiking backpacks.
We shared a dorm room with 4 other people. It was very clean and had AC, not common in most hostels in CR. There are showers with hot water, too, another rare find.

Overall, we would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap place to stay and friendly staff.

Room Tip: The dorms cost between $10-$15 a night and are a great option if you enjoy meeting new friends on yo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Backpackers is a good looking hostel, small rooms but with AC and hot water
Unfortunely the reception staff is running the place quite badly, constant mistakes with rooms and guests, and I ended up being forced to leave - because they gave my bed to someone else who ordered online, despite paying already foe another night
And that happend twice while I stayed there

• Stayed: July 2013
Mario P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hostel Backpackers La Fortuna, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Hello,
First at all, I would like to apologize personally for the inconveniences due to the incompetence of the employee who welcome you.
I would like to let you know that we totally removed our staff in past September.
I fell sincerely sorry for your bad experience, and that would be a pleasure to welcome you again and so change your opinion.
Kind regards.
Your host,
Jessica Rubin

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Just to confirm what my friend has previously written.

We had a few hours until our afternoon bus, and we left our bags behind reception, which always has at least 2 staff members working it, as well as the shop assistant there. My friend packed her laptop into her bag in front of the 2 staff members they were aware of it.

We returned from our trip and within minutes the theft was discovered. What followed next was disgraceful. My friend was accused of lying and that the laptop wasn't there to begin with. For a long time they could not even say if they had left reception at any point at which someone else could have taken it. (They had not)

To cut a long story short, we received little explanation for what had happened. The manager was also there and offered very little help. The police came, but also couldn't help because of lack of evidence.

My friend was extremely upset through out and the frustration we all experienced was too much. I expect all of the staff present are still working there now and no one was fired over it.

There are plenty of hostels in La Fortuna and you should be no means give any money to the sort of place that harbours thieves and negligence.

Shame on the people who stole the laptop and the way it was handled afterwards. Pigs

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Quest0rz

Hello,

First at all, I would like to apologize personally for the inconveniences.
The hostel is not responsible of customer’s luggage outside the room. My intention is not telling you that is not our trouble, at the contrary. It is a really important point that customers fell safe. However, we have lockers inside the dormitories, a safe case in reception and a luggage’s store inside the laundry closed by keys.
I totally understand your situation and why you are upset, but it is not useful to be impolite insulting us.
I would like to let you know that we totally removed our staff in past September, and we never had any thief since then.

Kind regards.

Your host,
Jessica Rubin

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

This place is highly recommended on my list! I backpacked Costa Rica for six weeks and this place was nothing but accommodating and relaxing. We were planning on staying in a cheap hostel but this hostel matched their rate and gave us a private room with a free welcome drink. It was a quiet atmosphere and in the center of town with plenty of places to see and do. Great value! I recommend!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Terrible people, terrible rooms

The staff stole my la`laptop while our stuff was in the office after checkout. We had a few hours left before our bus arrived and they told us our stuff were safe in their office...when we came back my bag was in another corner and laptop stolen out of the case...they didnt admit it but they are responisble...they are very unfriendly as well.

They stole stuff out of the fridge as well

Avoid it....terrible people!!

Room Tip: DO NOT GO THERE...they will ruine ur holiday
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank ellenlecompte
FortunaAssistence, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hostel Backpackers La Fortuna, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Hello, thanks for your comment, we remember your case which was very special.

Unfortunately you never told our staff about it, when you tell us that your computer was stolen we cannot guaranteed that the computer was on your backpack because you never reported to us.

Hostel Backpackers La Fortuna is one of the safest places to stay in La Fortuna, since we have only a single controlled entrance and identification for each of our guests and this kind of situation never happen before.

As we indicate that day we do not know if you really leave your computer at our reception (Which is a large area and many people enter daily) or if you leave it elsewhere, that is why we decided to call the police to take note of what happened. Hostel Backpackers La Fortuna has safe rooms, lockers and safes in the reception at no extra cost to our guests. We guarantee 100% the values that guest leave with us if they reported, we invite all travelers to stay with us and verify this.