“Not impressed.”

Arenal Wilberth Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: This adventure begins at the foot of the volcano on our private estate, surrounded by natural beauty and farm animals. Then you will meet our beautiful, healthy and safe horses, which for years have been trained to perform this activity safely. You will receive the basic training to manage your horse from our guide.The horses are trained so you can enjoy your tour without worries. You can admire the impressive craters caused by ancient volcanic eruptions. As you travel through our pastures you will search for beautiful birds like orioles, toucans and other surprises. You will see beautiful organic gardens where you will be impressed by the size of our vegetables and defferrent varieties as well. During the tour you will enjoy beautiful scenery of the volcano and the lake as you immerse yourself in the beautiful forest and hopefully will be surprised by some of the animals that inhabit this amazing place. All from the top of your partner on this two and one half hour tour.At the end we will take you to our beautiful veranda where you will learn the history that lies behind the impressive Arenal Volcano and its beautiful lake.
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I really wanted to ride horses on our trip to Costa Rica, and with Alberto's Horses (which is the best in La Fortuna) was completely full we decided to go with second best Wilberth's Horses. I wasn't impressed with the hike at all. My boyfriend and I speak Spanish fluently, and our guide who didn't speak a word of English, spoke to us the entire time and ignored the other American family with us sadly. There were points that I was translating to them what he was saying to them since he was talking about interesting things such as animal and plant life. My boyfriend and I are both experienced horse riders and were told we would be arranged to go with another guide to be able to trot and gallop. Unfortunately that didn't happen, so we were forced to walk the entire time a boring, not very scenic, 2.5 hour ride. For $60 each, it's not worth the money.

2  Thank Briana_faulstich
There are newer reviews for Arenal Wilberth Stables

Reviewed December 24, 2013

2.5 hours horses back riding. The view on the volcano is beautiful. The guide was really cool. Fortunately we were only 5 for this tour. We took really nice trails and discovered some cool places around the volcano.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

horses healthy, well mannered, and well-trained. good tack. Friendly guide (Ruben). Reasonably safety conscious. Not cheap ($58/person for 2 hours) not for complete beginners, a little galloping and some up and down, but riding not too hard either. pretty countryside, good views of the volcano

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Fantastic! Trustworthy guide, great price and beautiful horse.

This is an adventure... Like other reviews mention, you don't just follow in a line. You are in control of your horse while going through deep forest (wear repellent), beautiful plantain groves, and views of the lake and volcano. I booked the night before and I was the only one on the tour!

Enrique was awesome, kind, knowledgable and funny. About 10 minutes in we were trotting and eventually galloping! For a first timer, I was nervous but Enrique's laid back attitude made me more comfortable. He always checked if I was okay with the pace and pushed me have an adventure! He stopped frequently to tell me about the nature, history and spotted wildlife.

The shuttle took a while to pick me up so in the mean time, Enrique showed me around their medicinal garden filled with basil, lemon grass, spinach and other tea leaves. It was a great experience!

A few tips for the fellow traveller... You will be quite sore for a day or two. Plan to soak in hot springs or do your hiking/ziplining before riding horses. Wear pants and try to protect your shins. I wish I looked up basic horse riding tips so maybe do that as well :)

Enjoy!!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I had unbelievable time riding a horse named Grampa. Our guide Alonso, tremendously kind and knowledgeable person, who during the walk explained a lot about forest life and inhabitants.
I guess it was the best riding experience in Costa Rica, horses are well trained so it is definitely perfect for the newcomers.