We were so excited about our visit to La Fortuna. We arrived at Montana De Fuego, it is a bit far from town, but in a beautiful setting. The grounds are very pretty and it has a wonderful view of the volcano. We entered the check in/reception building which was bright and clean. The bathrooms in the reception building are very nice.
My husband and I were traveling with our 3 teenage/adult children. When we checked in we discovered that the 2 rooms we had booked were not available and we were given other rooms. Not much we could do, so we got the keys and headed to our rooms.
From the porches of the rooms, we had great views of the volcano. Even though the rooms were close to the highway, there was not significant street noise.
From the moment we walked into our rooms it was a big disappointment.
Property has a nice view of the volcano
Breakfast was included with our rooms and was good
Staff is very nice
There was a good size safe in the room
The hotel is far from town – so I recommend a car to go into town as there are nice restaurants in town.
Rooms and bathrooms are very dark even with all of the lights on.
Floors on porch, inside room and bathroom are all tile – be careful the tile is very slippery when wet.
Shower heads are poor and need replacing
Shower doors do not work/slide and need replacing
There is wireless internet in the check in/reception building, but not in the guest rooms
In room 220 – the A/C makes a lot of noise when running
In room 221 there were live ants and bugs in room, after calling the front desk someone did come out to take care of the bugs.
The door locks are poor. There are no deadbolts or chain locks inside the rooms for security.
Bathrooms were very wet – they were never dry – there was not dry spot to put anything down – even the toilet paper is damp! The dry towels are damp too!
We payed extra for the 3rd person in one of the rooms – we only got 2 towels for the 3 of us each day. No bath mats or hand towels either. It took numerous phone calls each day to the front desk to get another towel for us, so that we would all have our own towel.
We were there a total of three nights. On our second day, we asked for the general manager to contact us about our situation and the manager never did contact us.
At this hotel, we were required to pay for the entire hotel stay upfront when we checked in. When we checked out, we asked for a discount on our rooms. We were told that they would let management know about our experience and they would get back to us via e-mail. Later that day we got an e-mail back that they were going to make a 20% refund to our credit card and that it should take 1 week or less for us to get the refund. That was more than 2 weeks ago and we have not yet received our credit card refund or confirmation from the hotel that the refund was completed.
This is definitely not a hotel I can recommend. I would stay somewhere else the next time in La Fortuna
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ALL THE SPLENDOR AND ADVENTURE OF LA FORTUNA JUST IN ONE PLACE!Welcome to an experience full of adventure and nature in Costa Rica...Just by the foot of the Arenal Volcano stands Montana de Fuego Hotel & Spa, a hotel inspired by its great natural environment, surrounded by 35 hectares of tropical forest on our private reserve.In balance with nature develop a site of rest and fun that makes you feel in a new world.With our All-Inclusive Package in La Fortuna, you can enjoy aholiday full of sustainable adventure and cultural experience.Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa has received the Fordor's Choice Award for several consecutive years, distinguished by Fodor's Travel as the best of hotels in the region of La Fortuna de San Carlos.PURE ADVENTURE IN OUR GO ADVENTURE PARK. Experience the best and exclusive eco adventure tours, feel the extreme nature of tropical forests and the powerful energy of the Arenal Volcano! A BREATH FOR TOUR SOUL... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Montana De Fuego Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Montana De Fuego Hotel And Spa
- Montana De Fuego Resort
- Hotel Montana De Fuego Resort & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park