WINNER WONDERLAND

Hotel La Fortuna
Lynnwood, Washington, United States
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

The only good thing that I can say about this hotel is that the location was good. The beds are double or twin sized and about as comfortable as sleeping on a floor. Our roof leaked during a rain storm and we had to change rooms. We had a coffee maker but no cups (and there isn't anyone working the front desk from early evening until 6:00 AM) and the shower has no floor barrier so despite best intentions, the bathroom floor gets soaked. For the price paid, I can't help but think that there are better options available. There aren't really any amenities except free computer/internet usage in the lobby.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I expected a little more from this hotel based on the reviews I read. I was pretty disappointed but then again, you get what you pay for. I'm a solo female traveler and booked this hotel because of its central location in town. It felt much more like a hostel than a moderately priced hotel. The rooms were very sparse and worn out looking. There's a sign in the room that says they change the sheets and towels daily but my sheets had the same stains the entire time I stayed there and those stains were there when I got there! Breakfast was very basic, but I guess that's what you get for a hotel that includes breakfast in the price. I wished I had splurged a little and spent my 2 nights in La Fortuna at a nicer place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Norwalk, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Right outside your window you can see the volcano. The hotel is on a busy street which can get a lil loud but not to the point where it bothers you. The staff was really helpful. Mercedes really helped me with my transportation issue. Everyone is nice and the breakfast was great. Most definitely will stay again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ypsilanti
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I spent four nights at Hotel La Fortuna in June 2013. This was my first trip to Costa Rica, so my travel agent chose this hotel for me, and it was a great choice. I'm a solo budget traveler who likes hotels where I can walk everywhere, and Hotel La Fortuna fit that bill. I had a "volcano view" room on the 4th floor, and I really enjoyed seeing the volcano (when it wasn't covered in clouds). The two front desk staff (a young man and young woman) were both very friendly and spoke great English. When the A/C in my first room wasn't working, they quickly moved me to another room. And that A/C was amazing! (Got down below 70 F!) The bed was firm but not hard; I slept well. Room was non-smoking and had no smell. Lighting was decent (better with the curtains open). There were plenty of electrical outlets. TV had lots of channels. I took advantage of the in-room safe (deposit of $10 for the key). The room was ensuite with plenty of hot water (not the greatest pressure, but fine), but it was just a shower with a curtain (no tub and not much of a water barrier). Breakfast was included and served from 7-9 am; it included coffee, a glass of orange juice, a fruit plate, and a freshly-cooked plate (toast with jam and scrambled eggs). Yum! Check-out time was noon. The wifi in my room was pretty good (worked 4 of the 5 days I was there), but they also have computers for guest use in the lobby. The room key is RFID, and the room has a deadbolt. They stored my luggage from when I checked out until my taxi arrived. The man at the front desk gave me great advice: taxi to the La Fortuna waterfall (since it's up a steep hill), then either walk or taxi back. (I took a taxi there and walked back, which was fun.) There was no verbal pressure to tip, only tip jars and tip envelopes.

This is a budget hotel, though, so there were some minor negatives. The hotel doesn't have a pool or restaurant (but there are plenty of places to eat nearby; I liked Taco's Serrano and La Hormiga). The sliding glass door/window in my room wouldn't close all the way. There was no closet in my room, only a clothing bar (with provided hangers) and a few shelves. It gets light early; the curtains do close, but the room doesn't get completely dark. The stairs are not lit well (so use the elevator). The room wasn't quiet, as it's near a busy street, but the A/C was enough white noise for me.

Overall, I had a great stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ChemTeacherTraveller
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed here on our first night in La Fortuna after our ridiculously long bus ride. The staff here is so helpful and friendly and made us feel so at home here.

After enjoying their complimentary breakfast the next day, we made the mistake of leaving this place for a night for an all inclusive resort that was a $12 taxi ride away and $30 more expensive/night. We were so disappointed that we returned to Hotel La Fortuna for the remainder of our stay here. Having restaurants within walking distance was crucial since we didn't have a car and we ended up hanging with a few of the locals to catch a futbol game and a few drinks out while we were there.

El Salto (1.5 km mas or menos) and La Catarata (4 km) are both within walking distance from the hotel, too which make for great day trips.

We had a beautiful view of the volcano on the final day of our stay in La Fortuna as a large majority of the rooms face the volcano.

This place ROCKS. Trust.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

The English speaking staff is very welcoming and friendly, ready to help with any question.
The room was very spacious, clean and simple. It had A/C, hot water all day long and a safe.
The wifi is reasonable, the 3 computers at the lobby - extremely slow.
Breakfast was basic and okay for what I needed to start my day.
The location is nice - it is in the center of La Fortuna (walking distance from anything you might need) but not on the main street, so it is relatively quiet.
If you travel alone and/or want to meet other travelers, I am not sure if this is the best place. This place has a hotel vibe and not hostel - common area is limited and not inviting. For a good hostel I would recommend Arenal Hostel Resort where my friends stayed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for only one night but we had a nice clean room, cool A/C, great view of Volcan Arenal, walking distance to the bus station, and a yummy filling breakfast. I would recommend this hotel to couples, families, and groups.

• Stayed June 2013