“Highway robbery”

$146.00*
and up
Arenal Volcano and Tabacon Hot Springs Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Nestled in the heart of the tropical rainforest at the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano in the northern Region of Costa Rica. This five-star resort offers a unique blend of nature, adventure and relaxation. The resort's unique healing thermal mineral spring river emerges from the volcanic earth, cascading to form waterfalls, streams, tranquil pools and ponds surrounded by lush tropical gardens.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Arenal is know not only for it's volcano, but the hot spring and heated river waters that course through. Tabacon is a lovely kept and manicured spa in a lush and very well maintained environment. Yet, all that beauty does not command a $60 entrance fee. Certainly not when other spas in the area offer similar services at a fraction of the cost and better quality of staff services, whose work stories was basically perfunctory. A mediocre dinner buffet for an additional $25 made it even less enjoyable. Not sure what guest of the resort had to pony up, but for day users it was a rip-off.

3  Thank Carlos V
Write a ReviewReviews (4,359)
All reviews
in 47 reviews
"la fortuna"
in 113 reviews

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Second time I have been to Tabacon...love the hot springs...think it is overpriced and the buffet is uninspiring.
For what you pay they should make sure that the food in up to excellent standard and the locker rooms should be attended to to prevent slip and falls. Same issue around the pools.
I love the springs but again wish that the amenities were upgraded. They fall back on being the most popular hot springs so it is like you have to "like it or lump it". If I go back I may try Baldi Hotsprings to see what that experience would be like.
Come on Tabacon....don't rest on your laurels...kick it up a notch. Stay current and above the competition.

1  Thank Dee J
TabaconGuestService, Manager at Tabacon Hot Springs, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Denenne60763

Our aim is to provide a wonderful experience to our guests, we are glad that you love the hot springs, that are worldwide recognized and the only ones in the area that are completely natural, the hot springs emerge from the Arenal volcano and goes through the property by gravity forming cascades, pools and ponds all of them with different temperatures and a high mineral content, we do not pump or heat the water. Therefore our natural unique setting surrounded by the rainforest provides the most relaxing experience to our guests. We are sorry that our buffet service did not met your expectations, we offer a different international theme buffet every night. We will shared your comments with our food and beverage director and we will take any necessary actions to improve our service.

With kindest regards

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

This place has great potential..they have nice grounds and amenities, but you can tell that there lacks proper supervision and training of workers as far as customer service. We felt this because it's clearly distinct from other places we went in Costa Rica, including Baldi Springs, another hot springs we went to in the area a few days earlier, and the service was much better. We had an issue with our bar bill, and what a nightmare to resolve! The managers are nowhere in site, ever, it appears. We went there to relax, but ended up stressed instead. Some of the workers, including the bartender who helped us, were nice and courteous. The problem is really with management, seems like. Just beware!

1  Thank BlueMoonTraveler00

Dear BlueMoonTraveler00

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and tell us why our service failed to meet your expectations. We have addressed your concerns to management immediately. Tabacon is the only natural thermal resort in the area, we do not pump or heat the water, it emerge naturally from the Arenal Volcano. In case you would like to communicate with us directly regarding to your complaints do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail at customerservice@tabacon.com.

Regards

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Endless hot springs, amazing scenery, friendly staff. LOVED every minute. Buffet dinner is expensive but very good. Hot springs also great at night!

Dear KLJdolphin

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are glad to know that you had a great time at Tabacon, exploring our natural thermal mineral spring resort and enjoying the wonders of nature. It will be an honor to receive you again in the near future.

Sincerely

See more reviews
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I'm so disappointed of my experience with this hotel. I was excited to get a service there and enjoy the resort for a day, and purchased a spa package. I contacted the hotel for a pick up and took a taxi that showed up thinking they had sent it. Apparently, they had sent another shuttle that arrived after I left (way later than what I was told to expect). After spending an entire day there, spending, tipping, over-tipping, over-spending above my spa package cost, paying higher than average prices for services, ONLY at check out..they decided to bring up that by the way, I owe for that shuttle that I never took. Not only is this unfair, it is A ROBBERY!!! They should have complementary shuttles for people spending so much in their hotel, that is the truth. And if not, then a reasonable fee (they charged what a taxi would cost coming from La Fortuna, not from their hotel), and inform the guest that they will be charged before sending the shuttle, and explain the conditions. This hotel has a lot to learn about Guest Relations. The way this hotel HUSSLED ME, a woman alone, pretty much asking for a BRIBE so that I have a shuttle out of therel, as they are in such a desolate area at night that no taxis are outside and they have to call transportation for you for you to leave. I was pretty much forced to pay, under the assumption that it was for an independent driver's gas, and the shuttle driver told me all costs go to the hotel, not him.
Not only will I never be back (I had plans to stay the rest of my time in Arenal there instead of another hotel), I will let the whole world know of my experience there. Also, did not appreciate the sexual harassment from male workers there who get too friendly.. not good for women, accompanied or otherwise.
On the other hand, I loved Baldi Springs, and it's much cheaper!!! And their spa services are California/US quality and prices (much lower).. and I felt safe there, and transportation there costs much less. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS AND HARD-EARNED MONEY!!

1  Thank Luv2TravelAnyDay