WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“Not Memorable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here the second day of our trip to save a little more money on hotels. The staff was lukewarm or not seen. If you want to be totally left alone, its a good place to stay. The breakfast was decent, but there was no one around to ask for anything.
The location is as they say, close to the center of town, which is another reason why we picked this hotel. If your looking for character, warm welcome, friendly staff available available dont stay here.

The only reason i even felt compelled to write this was the hotels responses to other reviewers. Listen hotel manager, you dont browbeat a guest because they had an unfavorable experience at your hotel. Excuses are less then worthless. What people want to hear is: 1) You heard their experience. 2) You will look into improving those issues. 3) You APOLOGIZE (dont blame the guest), no matter how you "feel". 4) Extend an offer to change their mind. A personal email / contact to reach you so you can personal handle their next stay.

I wish your business much luck. These are easy fixes, if you truly care about being in the hospitality industry. I've been working in it for over 30 years, and I believe in helping you not hurting you, so Good Luck!

Room Tip: It looked like all the rooms were basically the same.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
volcanolodge, Public Relations Manager at San Bosco Inn, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments!

We regret that you have had an unfavorable experience with us.

We try to provide the customer, quality service for an adequate budget.

It is not our intention that people feel alone in their stay, but the amount of staff we employ is relatively smaller than that used in other more budget hotels.

It is for this, we look to some of the experiences are self-service, as at breakfast.

Even so, we will take your recommendations to strengthen our customer service at Frontdesk.

For future reservations, we hope you contact us directly, so we can provide personalized information.

Again, thanks for your time and comments!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hebrew first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

San Bosco is only a block from the park in the middle of town, with a grocery store and many restaurants just minutes away. The staff is also very helpful in booking tours, and the price is great (and includes breakfast). Rooms have individual air conditioning units as well.

Room Tip: Rooms 32 and 34 (right above reception) share a balcony with a view of the volcano.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We booked the stay just on short notice - with option to make a mistake.... it was not this case. Perfect hotel, friendly staff helping us with navigations around. Nice pools in the garden, decent breakfast,view to a sunset above El Arenal....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hayward, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our hotel desk clerk probably over-sold description of this "adventure" in rafting. After a short ride to the river from La Fortuna, we waited around until the rafts were unloaded then inflated. We were given a short "how-to" then pushed off. The guide sat in the back, telling us when, how (hard/easy) and where (right/left) to row Since the water was really low, we did a lot of slow drifting. I wasn't like Huckleberry Finn on the Mississippi, but it was relaxing. So for the first 30 minutes or so, I rather enjoyed this "non-adventure." The real adventure began when we hit a branch and ripped the side of the raft. We started to take on water immediately. Luckily the raft has separate air chambers, so we weren't going to do the Titanic thing. But we were asked if we could swim (along side possible reptiles) and to throw our oars as close to shore as possible.
Our guide jumped in the river, pulled us to shore with no one hurt. BUT cameras, leather carrying cases, etc. were damaged. Our guide did well, except for destroying the raft, that is. We waited until another raft came by, unloaded several people into their raft and continued on.
Luckily, there wasn't much more of the river we could navigate, so that part of the tour was over.
We were given soft drinks, fruit while the crew deflated and loaded the rafts onto the van. We then took a short ride to a outdoor, casual restaurant where we had a nice, informal dinner. So: no mention about any refund for damaged goods or inconvenience. Bottom line: raft/river time about 1 - 1 1/2 hours, some birds along the way (also a sloth), not much to see. Fun part- stories I'll get to embellish about almost drowning in croc infested waters. Worth $45-$50? You be the judge

3 Thank LeeB13
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed there from March 4 till March 8.When I reserved my room by phone the male concierge wich I cant remember his name recomended me that because I was going with my girlfriend that I booked the double room and NOT the single one(78 USD instead the 58 USD).
Upon my arrival I discovered that he gave me a single one for more price .After I complaint he said that Nothing he cant do cause I misunderstand him even that WE had spoke in Spanish wich is my first language like him.The girl next to him was more sincere and told me that they were so full that nothing they can do.
I understood that NOT discount was available even that I arrived late on the 4th .Almost at 1000pm because the 6 hours drive from San Jose due to heavy rain.
Upset and stuck(all the good hotels in town were full) I decided it to take it.
Next day however thay accept their mistake and gave me a bigger room.
Breakfast is exelent and the housekeeping crew and breakfast people were exelent and nice.
Being most of my life in the States I tip everybody every day and U can see the diference.Hotel was full of Europeans and Argentinians wich they DONT tip at all.
Rude French people and Russians arrive second day..
On Tuesday morning I try to use the Jacuzzi before 1000 am and I was denied even that a previous employee started for me.They explained me that because Breakfast is served till 1000 am even that Nobody was having breakfast.Finally they allowed me to use the Jacuzzy.
Jacuzzy is wonderfull.Very Hot and nice the way I loved it .Nothing else I couldnt DO due to the heavy rain.
I enter the town with bad luck.I arrived on Monday 4th at 1000pm and I left town thursday 7th 800am..NON STOP RAINING.Pouring some times.Going out with taxis to lunch and dinner.Couldnt even see the Arenal Vocano.Nothing to do but swimming in the pool and be inside Jacuzzi.
Be carefull.Upon my arrival I was told by locals that was raining like that since previous Friday and When I calling on the phone from the states into all hotels in LA FORTUNA ,all employees were telling me that Weather was wonderfull and dry.
They lie about the Weather so Guest dont cancel the reservations before they arrived.
This Weather was weird because March is mostly dry in LA FORTUNA.I guess Weather all over changed now.
Bottom line is Weather in LA FORTUNA is impredictible..
Because the rain power went out Wed night for a couple hours.Imagine the hight humidity and NO air conditioning....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Well placed in town - walk to everything - friendly staff and clean, but not luxurious rooms that are a bit older but appear to be kept up. Good breakfast, property is in view of town square and the volcano. We enjoyed the hot tub in the cool evenings.

Room Tip: Our first floor room was a bit noisy due to breakfast preparation; maybe a second floor room away fr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Hotel San Bosco is just a short block from the main town square in La Fortuna. Literally a two minute walk to the heart of the city. Once on the grounds the noise of the the traffic fades completely. Quiet, peaceful, beautiful grounds. Clean rooms. The beds were too soft for my taste. The viewing deck has a great view of the Arenal volcano.

• Stayed March 2013