We stayed here four years ago and returned for one night in November 2012 for one night.. Miguel and Carman continue to keep their private rooms and cabins well. The rooms are clean and secure and the water hot. The grounds and swimming pool are private and enjoyable and far enough from the hustle and bustle of Fortuna (2.5 kms) to give you a taste of rural Costa Rica with the volcano as a backdrop.. Breakfast is filling and tasty. In June 2012 the road to the Lodge was paved. This adds to the quiet atmosphere and cleanliness.
Miguel is a self made hotelier having built Cerro Chatto from the ground up. His wife Carman and two children are the only things more important to him than this facility. It shows. Miguel is more than a manager or owner. I'd encourage other travellers to engage in conversations about life as well as where the best place to visit is He will arrange local tours as well as conduct custom tours for up to ten using his own newer passenger van. His English is good as is his local and regional knowledge. If you want to begin to get a feel for the real Costa Rica this may be a good place to safely start.
One last note, rates have plateaued in this area since 2008. We paid pretty mach what we did back then for a room for two.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at the base of the Arenal Volcano, Costa Rica (2.5 kms. from La Fortuna, on the road to Catarata Rio's Fortuna and only 15minutes by car from Tabacon's Hot Springs) with a spectacular view of the southeast side of the volcano, we have the advantage of being at a slightly higher altitude than La Fortuna, thus cooler. Also, we are off the main road enough to avoid the sound of grinding gears that are audible from almost all other hotels. The rooms are very spacious (32m2) with 1 double and 1 single bed, a large private bath with hot water, screened windows, ceiling fans, verandas with table and chairs, and landscaped grounds abundant with tropical flowers and birds. Full breakfast, available lunches, horse rental, laundry, internet service and secure parking lot. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Travelocity so you can book your Cerro Chato Eco Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cerro Chato Eco Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Cerro Chato Eco Lodge Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park