We actually didn't expect much from Los Lagos, but their recent re-vamp must have done wonders - or maybe other reviewers are not quite realistic of the price level involved here.
We loved it! The kids thoroughly enjoyed the pools - though they would have preferred the normal pools heated better, and the hot spring a bit cooler (the latter more difficult to arrange...). Beware of the totally fun, but rather dangerous slides - not for frail adults!
The gardens were full of lovely plants and animals to explore - and people wizzing above you; our daughter loved it.
The breakfast buffet was brilliant, with fresh pancakes and omeletes made to order. Lunch and dinner were fine as well, and all served on the terrace overlooking the gardens, with a good view of the hummingbirds enjoying the fruits and feeders put out for them.
Avoid rooms 101 and 102, between entrance and car park, and I would recommed either Superior rooms by the side of the pool area (easy access, ok volcano view), or Superior Deluxe rooms right at the top - quite a treck back and forth, both totally isolated and beutiful views of the volcano, halfway up to the observation point. Take the transport up and down, or walk, feel virtuous and watch the sloth in the trees on the way! Only differnce in the room is that Deluxes have coffee makers!
Do go and see the Fortuna waterfall - just take a taxi there, it's very cheap, and there's no need for a tour guide. It's a strenuous, but easy walk down, and easily the most impressive waterfall I've seen - it thunders so hard, you can feel the vibration! Stop the taxi on the way for a refreshing drink of cold, young coconut from the little stall, run by some local children - the driver will happily wait.
We went on the Cano Negro nature watching trip, organised online from home, but could also be done via reception, and it was extremely good and well organised. It's on the border to Nigaragua, and one of the few things not possible to do on your own. We saw loads of fearsome iguanas (vegetarians!), monkeys, bats and of course masses of birds incl some very rare species.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Volcano Resort with 1050 acres of tropical forest and wide landscapes, clear, safe and spectacular view to Arenal Volcano, wide tropical gardens with butterflies, frogs, crocodiles and leave cutter ants. An exclusive resort with its own 13 platform Canopy Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, and spectacular observation point at the property, other facilities is an exclusive Spa facing a primary forest and surroundings of water and their signature Arenal Volcano Clay Wrap. At Los Lagos Resort we offer 7 different pools, 4 with natural hot springs and 3 regular water pools available. We offer 98 rooms, International restaurant, souvenir shop, tours, web bar and free internet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Los Lagos Hotel Spa And Resort
- Los Lagos Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Hotel Los Lagos
- Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park