My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Los Lagos for 4 nights in February.
We had originally decided on the Arenal Paraiso, however when we tried booking our tickets all the rooms had already been reserved there. The travel agent suggested Los Lagos instead. We thought the photos on their website looked kind of cheesy, but decided to go ahead. We are glad we did -- it was much nicer than we expected!
The resort is outside of La Fortuna, located on the base of the Volcano. It has three pools -- two "normal" ones and one "hot" (and more were under construction during our stay). There is also a spa, a large garden area with croc, frog, and butterfly enclosures, a canopy tour, and a two-track 2km trail leading up to a very nice observation point. The campus is large and very hilly, but they offers a shuttle service if you need to get from one place to another without ruining your knees.
The on-site restaurant serves a decent free breakfast buffet, but avoid it for other meals. There are much better places in La Fortuna.
Pros: Nice and close to La Fortuna means meals won't be a hassle. Decent room service. Great volcano view. Hot pool is awesome. Well-manicured grounds. Helpful front staff. Waterslides are fun as hell.
Cons: Kind of far from the tours on the other side of the volcano, but it balanced out with the proximity to La Fortuna. Avoid the on-site canopy tour, book one elsewhere.
The cabs were a bit more expensive than we expected, but service was always quick and painless. The drivers like the fares, so if you get a cab ride one way you can ask them to be back in 2 hours (or whatever) to pick you up and know they will.
Cab rates from Los Lagos (one-way):
La Fortuna - $4
Tabacon - $8
El Silencio - $10
Arenal Natl Park or Hanging Bridges- $15
La Fortuna Waterfall - $20
El Silencio (just a trail) - very neat jungle hike. Great panoramic view of the volcano at the top.
Arenal Natl. Park - It's awesome to walk over the 1992 lava flow.
Hanging Bridges day - Great views, expect to see some neat wildlife
Hanging Bridges night - We didn't see as much as I expected from other reviews, but this was fun! Tarantulas and snakes...
All in all, we were very happy with Los Lagos for the money, and would recommend it to people looking to stay in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Volcano Resort with 1050 acres of tropical forest and wide landscapes, clear, safe and spectacular view to Arenal Volcano, wide tropical gardens with butterflies, frogs, crocodiles and leave cutter ants. An exclusive resort with its own 13 platform Canopy Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, and spectacular observation point at the property, other facilities is an exclusive Spa facing a primary forest and surroundings of water and their signature Arenal Volcano Clay Wrap. At Los Lagos Resort we offer 7 different pools, 4 with natural hot springs and 3 regular water pools available. We offer 98 rooms, International restaurant, souvenir shop, tours, web bar and free internet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Los Lagos Hotel Spa And Resort
- Los Lagos Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Hotel Los Lagos
- Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park