My wife and I take a trip for our anniversary every year and stay in B&B's. This year we decided to try something different and go abroad to Costa Rica. We were looking for something that would offer the same personal touch and attention that you get in a B&B...Tilajari was a most excellent choice! The staff was superb and the rooms were excellent. We can't speak highly enough for their guides...they REALLY made our excursions and adventures 10 times better than they otherwise would have been.
The location is pretty good for accessing La Fortuna (about 20-30 mins away) and most of the area attractions but grounds at Tilajari are what set it apart from the other places you might consider staying at. Most hotels and resorts in CR have a very small and restricted campus...not so for Tilajari. The place is ENORMOUS: they have soccer fields, fitness center, picnic areas, many beautiful garden areas, basketball courts, tennis courts (both indoor and outdoor), a 5-star restaurant (more on that below), a HUGE pool and jacuzzi, private stables, their own butterfly garden, private jungle access...the list goes on and on. You could literally stay there and not go anywhere else.
If you do want to explore, however, the resort offers pretty much every excursion you can do in the area and the ones they offer are top notch. We are pretty active travelers and love to explore local areas, see nature, and go on hikes and stuff. The Tilajari excursions fit the bill to a "T". We did every one of them except for the caves and the canyoning (really wanted to do that one but ran out of time!). The Sky Trek (Zip line!) and the Rio Celeste hike (a quite excellent and strenuous hike!) were probably our two favorites on our 9 day stay...sometimes we even did two a day. The guides, Pedro and Marcello, were so great! We would not have seen 1/10 of the wildlife had it not been for Pedro's excellent knowledge...the guy is really amazing.
If we have any complaints at all, it would be that the restaurant, while offering excellent food, was a bit on the expensive side...and I am being kind by saying "a bit" (how's $10 for a plate of french fries sound...or $12 for a bowl of soup!). While we DO recommend the restaurant (great tasting food and superb service), other places are within a short drive and offer food at much cheaper prices...plus you get to experience more of the local culture that way.
All-in-all our stay was a huge success and one of the best we have ever done...as the locals say: PURA VIDA!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Standard rooms and junior suites spread over the San Carlos River Edge at Arenal Volcano Area. Exceptional Katira restaurant offering a selected international and typical menu and the best facilities in our 5 special events halls. Three swimming pools, sauna, jacuzzi, private forest, sport facilities and much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelTravel.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Despegar.com so you can book your Tilajari Hotel Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tilajari Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tilajari Hotel Resort Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park