I've reviewed the last few posts and it seems much has been covered, as a travel agent I feel compelled to warn others about the basic surcharge you are paying when staying at this hotel (unless you are driving yourself).
As you are a decent cab ride from La Fortuna you are basically limited to the hotel area and the Spa area, because you are unable to easily get into town everything is overpriced. Pricing is high by American standards which means they are outrageously high by Costa Rican standards. $26 for a terrible buffet dinner at the Spa; $8 for a small bag of Doritos, $16 for a small can of Off bug spray; $15 drinks, etc. Truly some of the most ridiculous prices I've ever come across.
I agree with the tips recently given; the happy hour and kabobs is the only way to avoid being completely taken advantage of when staying at this resort.
The Spa is quite nice, the hotel pool was unclean. I had no major issues with service, everything worked and we were not overcharged, the rooms were fairly nice in comparison. For this reason and the excellent volcano view I've rated two stars instead of one. If you don't mind being ripped off a bit it's a great place to stay, personally I'd opt for a hotel in La Fortuna.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of the tropical rainforest at the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano in the northern Region of Costa Rica. This five-star carbon neutral resort offers a unique blend of nature, adventure and relaxation. A member of The Leading Hotels of the World, Tabacon provides luxurious accommodations, services and amenities in a picture-perfect natural setting. The resort's unique healing thermal mineral spring river emerge from the volcanic earth, cascading to form waterfalls, streams, tranquil pools and ponds. Explore Shangri-La Gardens an hotel guests and adults-only hideaway, delight your senses with world- class cuisine inspired by local fares or surprise that special person with a gala dinner in the middle of the rainforest. Inside the gardens is the resort's Grand Spa, member of The Leading Spas of the World which combines a beautiful location with a singular spa experience, where treatments are rendered in open air bungalows all of them with private jacuzzi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Booking.com, TravelClick, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tabacon Grand Hotel Thermal
- Tabacon Grand Resort Thermal
- Tabacon Resort
- Tabacon Hot Springs
- Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park