Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Hotel Lavas Tacotal(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa(Arenal Volcano National Park)
View Hotel
Hotel Kokoro Arenal(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Volcano Lodge & Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Volcano Inn(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Nayara Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
3,839 results
All reviewslos tucaneshot springsshangri la gardensorchid roomunlimited accesshotel guestshoneymoon suitecosta ricarainforest suiteopen to the publicday passprivate areaswim up barbuffet dinnercouples massagearenal volcanoheaven on earth
Reviewed July 3, 2013

we only stayed for 3 nights, and i wish we could´ve stayed longer.
the good: we stayed in one of the suites and it was amazing; you could´ve fit and entire football team in one room! theres a tv in the bathroom area, for those who like that, nice shower, really nice tub so you can relax...... the beds are super comfortable, and a complete mini bar with all sorts of goodies, including a toaster and coffee maker.
the staff is super friendly and very accomodating! the hotel itself has one pool, which is really nice. the food is really good: dont miss the nachos and the asian buffet.
although i didnt use the spa myself, someone in our party did, and they couldnt say enough about it!
the awesome: the hot springs are either 5 minutes away walking , or you can take the shuttle; they are just around the corner! there are endless little trails you walk on, and each one leads to a different hot spring and each one is at a different temperature. there´s even a section for adults only, where it is super quiet, there´s nice music, and you find people just taking it easy! the main pool has a slide for the kids to enjoy, and the bar tenders at the wet bar are so friendly, it makes you want to sit there all day!
we met so many different people from all corners of the world.... it´s just a happy place!!
the ugly: my daughter did not like the hot springs at all, so my time under the water falls and some of the other springs was very limited. remember this is in the middle of a rainforest, so you run into all sort of crickets, butterflies, lizards, etc...... pretty!

suggestions: dont miss the springs late in the afternoon or as the sun sets; as the temperature drops, the hot springs become unbelievably delicious!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My friend and I traveled here in June of 2013. I'll address some of the things we noticed in list form so that you can skip to what you'd like to know about.

Room/bathroom:
We stayed in a standard room with 2 queen beds. The beds were very comfortable except they squeaked when one would toss and turn through the night. That was annoying. The bathrooms were fine. There was a little mold/mildew around the caulking of the bathtub and calcium deposits on the showerhead, which should’ve been taken care of. It has to be noted that the toilet paper IS scented because that can be an irritant for some. We read this ahead of time and brought our own unscented TP with us, so that wasn’t a problem.

Restaurant:
Dinner: We ate at the restaurant on the property several times. Never ate at the buffet at the springs. The restaurant on the property had great food. It is a bit expensive, but no more so than you would pay for a great meal in the states…about $30 each. For that we had dinner and dessert as well as some tasty samples the staff brought around. We were very pleased with dinner. However, we did choose to eat in town on the other nights for variety. The price was not that much cheaper. We averaged about $20 - $25 each for dinner in town. We had a rental car so access was simple, but I’d imagine if one had to add in the cost of a cab it might be worth it to stay at the hotel and eat.

Breakfast: We had the buffet breakfast every day and thoroughly enjoyed it. We filled ourselves at breakfast so that we were able to skip lunch daily and we were completely satisfied. Breakfast had some staple items (waffles, corn tortillas, fantastic coffee and freshly made juices, fresh fruits, plantains, cereal, yogurt, omelets…) along with some different items each day for a bit of variety. It was well worth the $30.

Hot Springs and Spa:
This part of the hotel made the stay a 5 star experience!!!!! I cannot express enough how incredible the spa and hot springs are. I have had spa treatments all over the world (from the U. S. to the Mediterranean) and none have compared to the experience at Tabacon. We were lucky enough to go during the low season so it wasn’t crowded at all, and even when it rained (once while I was in the hot springs and once while I was having spa services) it added to the delight of the entire experience. The springs are free to guests of the hotel, which is a great savings. The spa is costly ($120 - $250), but worth every penny! Do splurge on a treatment if you can. I must say that the rainy, cooler weather during this season was perfect for the hot springs. Hotter weather may have made the springs too hot to stand. We took the short walk to the springs each day and took the shuttle back. The shuttle never took more than 5 min to pick us up. The distance from the hotel to the springs is the equivalent of the distance from one's room to the beach on an expansive resort in the Caribbean.

Getting to Tabacon:
We rented a car and drove to the resort. If you are up for an adventure, this is the drive for you. Be sure to rent a navigation system and be ready to drive on 2 lane mountain roads (one lane coming and one lane going), which go up beyond the clouds. You are literally looking down on the clouds at some points during the drive. Also be prepared for winding roads (where you can't see past the curves), fast drivers, and sharing the 2 lanes with tractor-trailers, busses, bicycles, and pedestrians. It’s a tricky drive, but unforgettable! If you're a bit shaken by adventure on the road, hire transportation.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank shop4fun
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I highly recomment this resort if traveling to Costa Rica. The place in general is very nice, the views are amazing, and the staff is incredibly sweet. I was stunned by the many pools of hot/warm/cold springs; there is something for every taste. My husband and I enjoyed the "adult only" area because of the quietness and romantic setting. If you're going on a honeymoon this is definitely the place; although, if you have a large family, like us, this will be most exciting. I enjoyed seeing my 5 and 6yr old niece and nephew have a blast. I have nothing but good memories about Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort, and I'm looking very forward to going again soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The amazing part of this hotel is the natural hot springs pools. This is a must if you're going to Arenal / LaFortuna. Extremely relaxing and beautiful. The hotel is a bit far from the town, so if you plan to visit town, it will be a cab ride. The food is good, but seems expensive for the area; I would give the overall rating as a 5 if it weren't for the food prices. I was able to get a room for under $200 via expedia - which is a good price for this hotel. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Tabacon Resort is the utmost of everything. Go deluxe and you'll be glad you did. The property is absolutely gorgeous and the hot springs are truly magical. We watched the lava flow at night from the soothing waters of this eden fantasy. A must do at least once in a lifetime or everytime you come to visit! Pura Vida

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple