We stayed at Tabacon for 4 days in March of 2013. Our hotel room was very nice and the staff were completely attentive to every need. The Springs, however, were the main attraction for my husband and I. They are just magical. The landscaping is breathtakingly beautiful, and the springs themselves are so relaxing. If you are a couple without children, be sure to visit Shang-ri-la gardens. It's a bit away from the main area, very secluded and private, with private cabanas and seating areas, and bar service.
Be sure to arrive before dark if you're driving yourself. We were driving a rental car, and because our flight out of Boston had been delayed, we arrived in Costa Rica much later in the day than we had expected. After dark, the fog rolled in, and it was next to impossible to see on the two-lane, unlit mountain roads that have huge drainage ditches on either side and no guard rails. This is not Tabacon's fault at all - just a tip to avoid driving up there in the dark.
When we arrived, we were told that our breakfast was not included, and that it would cost $30 per person. We never ate there at all - we figured if breakfast was $30, what would lunch and dinner be? Since we had a car, we were able to drive to La Fortuna and get a very delicious Tico breakfast for two for $8 total. We ate at sodas and restaurants in the area, where the food was very good and the prices were quite reasonable.
I'd tell anyone to go to Tabacon for the Springs, but find out about the breakfast charges before you arrive!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of the tropical rainforest at the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano in the northern Region of Costa Rica. This five-star carbon neutral resort offers a unique blend of nature, adventure and relaxation. A member of The Leading Hotels of the World, Tabacon provides luxurious accommodations, services and amenities in a picture-perfect natural setting. The resort's unique healing thermal mineral spring river emerge from the volcanic earth, cascading to form waterfalls, streams, tranquil pools and ponds. Explore Shangri-La Gardens an hotel guests and adults-only hideaway, delight your senses with world- class cuisine inspired by local fares or surprise that special person with a gala dinner in the middle of the rainforest. Inside the gardens is the resort's Grand Spa, member of The Leading Spas of the World which combines a beautiful location with a singular spa experience, where treatments are rendered in open air bungalows all of them with private jacuzzi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TravelClick, Booking.com, Hotwire, Expedia, TripOnline SA, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Odigeo, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tabacon Grand Hotel Thermal
- Tabacon Grand Resort Thermal
- Tabacon Resort
- Tabacon Hot Springs
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park