Tabacon being part of the Leading Hotels of the World group and quite expensive, I must say I was expecting a much higher level of service and quality. It is located in a beautiful area, with tropical gardens all around and, of course, the Arenal volcano. The main attraction, besides the volcano, is the hot springs, which are not in the hotel area, so you either walk (5 minutes) or take a shutlle that runs back and forth all the time. When staying at this hotel, you have free and unlimited access to the springs, so you can spend the day there, bathing in the rivers or in the pools, and also having beautiful massages in the spa, which is very nice indeed. But don't expect a luxury resort, it is a public club, with lots of tourists coming in.
Now let's talk about the hotel itself. The staff is ok, nice and polite, but not very accomodating. We had a Superior room with 2 queen beds, and it was nice and big. My complain is that you can hear absolutely everything from the other rooms, so if you have noisy neighbours, too bad. Wifi is free and it works well. There is also a small pool in the hotel, nothing special but good for relaxing, right next to the restaurant. Talking about restaurants, this is maybe what made me not like the hotel so much. Since it is the only place to eat in the hotel, you have to make dinner reservations as soon as you arrive, because it books fast. They advertise it as "fine dining", but the food was not good at all, terrible really. The other choice you have is going to the springs for dinner, where there is a buffet restaurant. We did that on our first night, and what a joke it was. Bad and very expensive food (US$ 40/45 pp), ok service and very noisy. I wouldn't mind staying at this hotel if I was paying not more than $200, but at $400+ it lacked everything, really. Oh, and the volcano is hard to see, because ir rains quite often, so there is fog most of the time. If you get a good deal, I guess it is ok, but don't expect a luxury hotel in Costa Rica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of the tropical rainforest at the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano in the northern Region of Costa Rica. This five-star carbon neutral resort offers a unique blend of nature, adventure and relaxation. A member of The Leading Hotels of the World, Tabacon provides luxurious accommodations, services and amenities in a picture-perfect natural setting. The resort's unique healing thermal mineral spring river emerge from the volcanic earth, cascading to form waterfalls, streams, tranquil pools and ponds. Explore Shangri-La Gardens an hotel guests and adults-only hideaway, delight your senses with world- class cuisine inspired by local fares or surprise that special person with a gala dinner in the middle of the rainforest. Inside the gardens is the resort's Grand Spa, member of The Leading Spas of the World which combines a beautiful location with a singular spa experience, where treatments are rendered in open air bungalows all of them with private jacuzzi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TravelClick, BookIt.com, Cancelon, Orbitz, Odigeo, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ and Jetsetter so you can book your Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tabacon Grand Hotel Thermal
- Tabacon Grand Resort Thermal
- Tabacon Resort
- Tabacon Hot Springs
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park