3,975 results
All reviewslos tucaneshot springsshangri la gardenshotel guestsorchid roomunlimited accessrainforest suitehoneymoon suitecosta ricaopen to the publicday passprivate areaswim up barbuffet dinnercouples massagearenal volcanostar resort
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This place is beautiful and the spa really was first class all the way. Massages are given next to the raging hot springs (I Swedish massage and volcanic mud wrap). The masseurs are very talented and made sure we were comfortable at all times.
Dinner was not bad, but not superb. We happen to be there for Italian night. Chef was a little annoyed that night, I think. And I should mention that a glass of house wine was $11 each.
This place isn't cheap, but it's quite an experience and I'm looking forward to going back for the deep tissue massage.

1  Thank JMZarate
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have been to Tabacon 4 times before (at the moment we live in Costa Rica), and we always enjoyed beautiful grounds, comfortable rooms and excellent service.
On 5 June we took a trip to this thermal resort with my husband (it was his first time there). I told him about this wonderful place and amazing service. So, he was looking forward to see it as well.
The start was great: after 4 hour drive they checked us in earlier and upgraded us to a beautiful suite!
We went to the thermal part of the resort (you need to drive to it if you have a car or take a hotel shuttle). They did a good job here. The upper part of the springs which was under the construction before was now open. It was really beautiful and includes the area only for adults.
We had really good time this day and in the evening went to the best restaurant in La Fortuna (8 min. drive from the resort).
Next morning I told my husband that the breakfast in the resort's restaurant is very expensive (around 35 American dollars per person and it is never included in the room rate), but from my previous experience it was always excellent and the service was consistently perfect.
When we came I was shocked by variety (it was almost nothing to choose from). They reduced dramatically both quality and quantity. Before they were offering fresh squeezed juices of different kind. Now you have to ask (and if you don't know you will end up with the bottled orange juice). I asked for the nice tropical mix, but was served the same diluted orange juice. Hot dishes were simply tasteless and uneatable. The waiters tried to avoid the eye contact with the clients and are not helpful. Before they had a very good selection of tropical fruits. Now it was just a few sad green fruits, even papaya and mango were uneatable.
To be honest. At the end of the breakfast I was still hungry (never happened before and I'm not a big eater), and even had to eat a piece of bread.
We went to the reception after breakfast and asked whether it is possible to have extension until 2.00 pm (normal check out time is 12.00). It was never a problem before. This time the lady at the reception was not friendly and at last allowed us to stay 30 min. longer (?!).
We went back to our room only to find out that at 11.30 am (before official check out time) they switched off our Internet and tv as if telling us - it is time to pack and get out - why are you still here?
We felt bad and unwelcome.
No doubt, Tabacon is a beautiful property, the springs area is great, but without adequate service it cannot work at least for us. I'm not sure now whether I'll be coming back or recommend it to my friends. Before I was coming here a lot with my friends and members of my family.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are good.
4  Thank olga9139
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Nothing could have prepared me to one of the most amazing days of my life.
My wife and I were invited to spent 4 days at Tabacon, I never been to Costa Rica and really did not have any expectations at all.
The trip from the airport to Tabacon took 3 hours but it was a beautiful drive, suddenly we were welcome by the beautiful volcano Arenal, just a few minutes later we were at the entrance of the Tabacon, the resort is amazing, beautiful and with such a nice taste on its decor and settings, we were given a super beautiful romantic suite with a beautiful sight to the volcano.

We then change in to our swimsuits and wet to see the Spa and the thermal waters, there are really no words to describe what we saw, the most beautiful scenery regarding gardens, waterfalls, rivers, sounds and weather to make your soul feel there is a God.

You are aloud to join any of the many natural heated pools in the gardens, the experience will take your breath away, We spent 3 hours sitting and laying just there, enjoying as well drinks that were givent to us by the staff at the ¨Shangi-La¨ gardens (the new areas of the gardens) where you will find lovely couches where you can read for hours if you had eneugh of the waters.

The second day we took over the Spa and I´m here to tell you this could be one of the top 10 spas in the world, we had a couples Sweden massage for 90 minutes on a private cabana surrounded by the jungle and the sounds of the rivers and crickets and then we were given 40 minutes to relax at he jacuzzi with a bottle of champagne.

We had t3 amazing dinners at their beautiful restaurant listening to an amazing Sax local talent.

Everyone on the staff is great and believe me you will be an ambassador for the Tabacon as we will be from now on, I really want all the people that I love to go there and experience this heaven on earth.

Room Tip: Every room is nice, big and have everything you need, we did take a tour to see all the possibilities and decided we wanted the view to the Arenal.
2  Thank arturocervs
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is the 2nd time writing this review...the first review was taken off this site...hmmmm...

Check in was quick no welcome drink or cool towel.

Room was on 2 floor and only stairs to room.

Ac was very weak and did not cool the room

Prices are very expensive..$12 for a bag of cashews...$8 beer...

Room has coffee maker,toaster and mini fridge.

Bathroom has Molton brown products

Bed was comfortable and large flat screen tv

Hot springs were amazing and for 60$ a person was nice it was included in the rate.

Gave the resort a 3 star bc hotel seems like a 3 star and hot springs are a 5 star.

Needs major improvement to customer service and to lower the prices of food to compete with other 5 star hotels in the area.

Seems to be a more family friendly resort then a couples place.

5  Thank Grayce_The_Super_Cat
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This place is the most expensive of the hot springs and generally further away than the others, but well worth the additional expense. Compared to say, Baldi, this place is in a whole other league. The waterfalls are ridiculous... one of the greatest experiences I have had was sitting, standing and melding-into a somewhat hard to find/get to water wall with lots of little features... hammering-down incredibly powerful hot water over me. Spiritual... just felt like the water was pouring its energy into me.

The dinner is so-so... the salads and soup were great, but entrees left something to be desired. Of course, they charge you for a locker and expect deposits of about $35 for 2 towels and your locker key, so be prepared for that.

All-in-all a terrific place to visit and work-out the kinks. I would recommend going at night.