“Absolutely Amazing!!”

Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My wife and I were not only first time visitors to Arenal/Fortuna, but also to Costa Rica. In spite of the high ranking of Tabacon, I almost booked elsewhere because of some reviews. I am glad I was not scared off and booked at Tabacon! Here are some bulleted points that I think might be most helpful:

1) Front Desk: Helpful, warm, and decent English. Also, very accommodating. My wife and I were very active on this trip doing activities like canopy and canyoning, so one night I went down to desk to see if they had any movies for DVD player. They had a whole menu and were quick to accommodate. As to reviewers who speak of them not being friendly, I cannot imagine that. They were VERY friendly and top notch! Also, a special mention to the sweet girl working the gift shop who we saw many times. What a nice girl and always quick to help!

2) Room: WOW.....super clean, well maintained, comfy beds, and WHAT A VIEW! See the photo I am attaching of Volcan Arenal.....this was taken from our rooms back window upon arrival!

3) The Grounds: The grounds are simply incredible. I cannot imagine the cost involved in maintaining this property, but it is super well manicured and cared for. The grounds alone are worth the price.

4) The natural hot springs: Unless you are just in bad physical shape, VERY walkable from the hotel. If you do have a physical issue, I overheard the front desk clerk mention that staff will drive you. Wife and I walked many times, and it takes maybe 8 - 10 minutes. Walk down is easier than walk up, which is up-hill. Consider it a great calf workout, because my calves were sore (in a good way!). The springs are amazing, and a morning and evening soak are great ways to start and end the day. Again, unbelievable maintenance and landscaping....like the garden of eden might be pictured!

5) Restaurant: The food was super good. We had one dinner and two breakfasts. The dinner was a great ambiance, and everything about it was wonderful. Personally, thought it was priced right all things considered. I had a steak and wife had fish, and we both enjoyed. For breakfast, LOVE starting the day with "Tipico" Costa Rican breakfast. Two corn cakes, beans and rice, tortilla, and a couple of eggs with juice and coffee. Yes, a $40 breakfast for 2 is not cheap, but it was worth it again when considering ambiance. Awesome!

6) Value: Some have said they didn't think the value was good. I could not disagree more. Remember, if you stayed elsewhere, you would be spending anywhere from $40 to $60 dollar per day to visit the springs. Like I said, my wife and I started AND ended our day in the Springs, so that is a $120 daily value for 2 people! That offset the room cost nicely!

7) Spa: Unfortunately, we didn't get to visit the spa. Next time!

I give this property my HIGHEST rating possible. Thank you for a great experience!

Room Tip: We had corner room 331. The view in the photo speaks for itself!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank TampaScott
Write a ReviewReviews (3,686)

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We recently spent 2 nights in a gorgeous suite at Tabacon, and couldn't easily stayed for a week longer. We spent a bit more money to stay in the nicer suite, and were impressed by how large the room was (desk, dining table, huge couch / tv, king sized bed). The bathroom was also gorgeous, including a great shower, and a 2-person hot tub. The hotel also has great amenities, including a nice gym, and gorgeous grounds.

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, and was quick to answer any of our questions.

The best part of staying at Tabacon was obviously having easy access to the hot springs. It was an incredible experience, and the hot springs are open until 10PM every night (including a fun pool bar in the middle of one of the springs). The atmosphere is amazing, and the grounds are beautifully manicured.

Highly recommended!

Only negative was the food. The restaurant at the hotel was just okay, and the buffet at the hot springs was pretty bad.

Room Tip: Spend some extra money to get a nicer suite.
1  Thank nycgirl2121
dpape, Gerente at Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear michelle2138

First of all let me thank you for the time spent to write your experience you had during your stay with us in Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay in our new renovated suits. We pride ourselves on superior customer service and I am glad to see that these team members went above and beyond to make your stay more comfortable. I appreciate very much you recommendation as it is the most valuable reference we can get.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back soon here in Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort.

Daniel

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My friend and I chose this resort from a friend's recommendation and we were not disappointed. After driving our rented car (Tip:get the GPS with car rental to inform of upcoming narrow bridges) from Liberia airport through narrow and winding mountain roads we were rewarded and greeted with a welcome drink from the friendly staff. The superior room was perfect with very comfortable double queen beds, spacious bathroom and amazing views of the volcano. The resort has several restaurants and we had drinks and appetizers in the main lobby bar which were very good. Most of our meals were at the restaurant located at the Tabacon hot springs located a few minutes walk or complimentary shuttle from the resort lobby. We enjoyed the hot springs immensely that evening while rain showers cooled us from above as it was rainy season (September). You have lockers to store clothes and your flip-flops and can go exploring the many springs, waterfalls and pools-- the main one having a swim-up bar. After having lunch in the town of La Fortuna which is about 15 minutes from the resort we did the SkyTram and zipline tour the next day which was amazing with our own private tour as Tabacon resort guests. We had our dinner meals at the Tabacon restaurant located at the springs which was very good. One night was a Mexican style buffet and the next was a Mediterranean style buffet. You can also choose from a Ayurveda or Indian food menu. We greatly enjoyed the food options as there was a salad bar and various meats, soups and vegetable options along with a dessert bar with coffee and teas. We left very satisfied and full so we chose to make the 5 minute walk back to the main resort to walk-off some of our well-earned calories. :) The views are amazing and the grounds are beautifully kept. It was pricey especially with the meals but we got a great rate during raining season. Also the hot springs were not crowded at this time and felt private so you could really relax. The springs are open from 9AM to 10PM and can visit as often as you like as a Tabacon guest. We really enjoyed our stay and would visit again.

Room Tip: Our Superior room was on the third floor with amazing views, large bathroom, flat-screen TV and a si...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Dan S

Dear Dan S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor and share it with us. We truly appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us at Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort in September. Thank you for your kind words regarding the friendly welcoming of the Front Desk staff and the Bellman. As you mention in your comment we have two restaurants and two bars in which we serve various delicious food options including very tasty vegetarian dishes. It is a pleasure to read that you completely enjoyed your stay and could experience our Mexican and Mediterranean Buffet.

In regards to all the green surroundings, our gardener team is making a great job maintaining all the pretty grounds which we all can enjoy. It is something very difficult to describe but as mentioned by some guests before comparable with Garden Eden. As a Hotel guest you have the possibility to come and go as many times during the day to the resort and leave it with our free shuttle service to your Hotel room and I am glad you enjoyed using this service.

It is nice to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Let me first start by saying that this is a nice 5 star hotel and the staff moderately helpful. However, when a resort charges top dollar for thier rooms and services, I expect the best of the best. Tabacon is definately NOT worth price. Noone went out of their way to make your stay special and the rooms are standard for an expensive hotel. It was really nothing special.

My husband and I traveled up to Tabacon for 3 nights while we were celebrating our anniversary in Costa Rica. At check-in we were given a room with 2 Queen beds (even though our travel agencies itinerary confirmed 1 King Bed deluxe). The problem was that it took about 20 mins and 2 additional associates to solve this problem. They even asked to see our confirmation info from our itinerary. Kind of implying that we were wrong. Even if we were, switch our room and dont argue about it!! I've had better accomidations at a Holiday Inn.
Later that night I discovered our shower had no handle on either side of the door. So you could push the door in, but then had no way to get out. I told the front desk about this and it still wasnt fixed the next day. I ended up contacting the hotel manager and it was fixed by our last night. Additionally, our room had a broken DVD player (which took hotel maintance 2 days to have replaced). Once again the front desk offered to have someone show me how to use it. I explained that I'm perfectly competant and player wont turn on. Still a team of employees had to gather around our TV to confirm that yes, I wasnt making this up, the DVD player is broken.

The inconsistancies with Tabacon were rather appalling. One night we had turn down service, 2 other nights we didnt. Sometimes we could easily get a ride to their hot springs, sometimes we couldnt. One night didnt have ice in our room (as advertised), two other nights we did.

We met another lovely couple in town that were staying at another 5 star resort nearby. They truly loved their place. I believe it was called Nayara. I'd recommend staying at a different hotel and just coming to Tabacon for the hot springs.

Room Tip: Book and another 5 star hotel in town. I hear they are fabulous.
2  Thank Tina C

Dear Tina C

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We truly appreciate your open and honest feedback about your experience at our hotel over the holiday. I'm very concerned with the comments you made in regards to our service. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you faced with the type of bed you got. It is important for our receptionists to check the confirmations in order to give to the customers and travel agencies what they are asking. I apologize if this procedure did not make you feel comfortable. Please feel free to call me at your earliest convenience. Your satisfaction and well-being are of most importance to us and we hope to rectify the situation as soon as possible.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The resort is simply wonderful. Our room was well appointed, with a very comfortable bed and an amazing view of the Volcano. The entire staff was so kind and accommodating. There was no request to large. The food was delicious at both the hotel and the hot springs. The spa was the nicest we've ever gone to, and our therapist were very very good! If you go to La Fortuna spend the extra money and stay at Tabacon.

Dear Tripster111

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review here on TripAdvisor. The Feedback of our clients is very valuable to us, as it helps us to improve in the future. It is a pleasure to read that you had a nice stay with us and could enjoy our Restaurant Los Tucanes and Ave del Paraiso.

Our Grand Spa in deed is something very special as it is in a completely natural surroundings with a river right next to it.

Thank you very much for your recommendation, it will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Daniel

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is my third trip to Costa Rica and each time have stayed at the Tabacon Resort. This place is a must. Beautiful grounds, rooms are spaceous and beautiful. Staff is always attentive. Food at the Los Toucanes restaurant is great. The thermal pools are beyond imagination. The Nirvana section for adults only is a great place to escape some of the chaos below. Don't miss it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alanarnone
dpape, Gerente at Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Alanarnone,

Thanks a lot for your time to share with us your experience. It is pleasant to read that you had a nice experience with us. Our property is pleased with its location in the middle of the rain forest. All the surrounding is giving it a very special touch. In regards to your experience in Los Tucanes, it will be my pleasure to inform the kitchen and service team about your great experience. The Shangri La Gardens, is a new area in the Resort, an area where we promote calm and tranquility (there for we ask our youngest clients not to enter this area).
It would be a pleasure to be your host in the future again.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We came only for the hot springs, and did not experience the hotel, restaurant or spa. The springs & pools are to-die-for and well worth the expensive price of admission. It's a once in a lifetime experience & is a must-see. (cliches abound, but true)

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear s2kadam

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Many clients compare here on TripAdvisor our resort area with the Garden Eden. It is something difficult to describe, it a hot water river making pass through a nice green garden area, with many different sized and temperature pools.
It is a pleasure to know that you had a nice experience with us, it would be nice to welcome you back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Arenal Manoa Hotel
Arenal Manoa Hotel
#11 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa
Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort &...
#25 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!