My wife and I were not only first time visitors to Arenal/Fortuna, but also to Costa Rica. In spite of the high ranking of Tabacon, I almost booked elsewhere because of some reviews. I am glad I was not scared off and booked at Tabacon! Here are some bulleted points that I think might be most helpful:
1) Front Desk: Helpful, warm, and decent English. Also, very accommodating. My wife and I were very active on this trip doing activities like canopy and canyoning, so one night I went down to desk to see if they had any movies for DVD player. They had a whole menu and were quick to accommodate. As to reviewers who speak of them not being friendly, I cannot imagine that. They were VERY friendly and top notch! Also, a special mention to the sweet girl working the gift shop who we saw many times. What a nice girl and always quick to help!
2) Room: WOW.....super clean, well maintained, comfy beds, and WHAT A VIEW! See the photo I am attaching of Volcan Arenal.....this was taken from our rooms back window upon arrival!
3) The Grounds: The grounds are simply incredible. I cannot imagine the cost involved in maintaining this property, but it is super well manicured and cared for. The grounds alone are worth the price.
4) The natural hot springs: Unless you are just in bad physical shape, VERY walkable from the hotel. If you do have a physical issue, I overheard the front desk clerk mention that staff will drive you. Wife and I walked many times, and it takes maybe 8 - 10 minutes. Walk down is easier than walk up, which is up-hill. Consider it a great calf workout, because my calves were sore (in a good way!). The springs are amazing, and a morning and evening soak are great ways to start and end the day. Again, unbelievable maintenance and landscaping....like the garden of eden might be pictured!
5) Restaurant: The food was super good. We had one dinner and two breakfasts. The dinner was a great ambiance, and everything about it was wonderful. Personally, thought it was priced right all things considered. I had a steak and wife had fish, and we both enjoyed. For breakfast, LOVE starting the day with "Tipico" Costa Rican breakfast. Two corn cakes, beans and rice, tortilla, and a couple of eggs with juice and coffee. Yes, a $40 breakfast for 2 is not cheap, but it was worth it again when considering ambiance. Awesome!
6) Value: Some have said they didn't think the value was good. I could not disagree more. Remember, if you stayed elsewhere, you would be spending anywhere from $40 to $60 dollar per day to visit the springs. Like I said, my wife and I started AND ended our day in the Springs, so that is a $120 daily value for 2 people! That offset the room cost nicely!
7) Spa: Unfortunately, we didn't get to visit the spa. Next time!
I give this property my HIGHEST rating possible. Thank you for a great experience!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of the tropical rainforest at the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano in the northern Region of Costa Rica. This five-star carbon neutral resort offers a unique blend of nature, adventure and relaxation. A member of The Leading Hotels of the World, Tabacon provides luxurious accommodations, services and amenities in a picture-perfect natural setting. The resort's unique healing thermal mineral spring river emerge from the volcanic earth, cascading to form waterfalls, streams, tranquil pools and ponds. Explore Shangri-La Gardens an hotel guests and adults-only hideaway, delight your senses with world- class cuisine inspired by local fares or surprise that special person with a gala dinner in the middle of the rainforest. Inside the gardens is the resort's Grand Spa, member of The Leading Spas of the World which combines a beautiful location with a singular spa experience, where treatments are rendered in open air bungalows all of them with private jacuzzi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tabacon Grand Hotel Thermal
- Tabacon Grand Resort Thermal
- Tabacon Resort
- Tabacon Hot Springs
- Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park