3,996 results
All reviews los tucanes hot springs shangri la gardens hotel guests orchid room unlimited access rainforest suite honeymoon suite costa rica open to the public day pass private area swim up bar buffet dinner couples massage arenal volcano star resort
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Let me first start by saying that this is a nice 5 star hotel and the staff moderately helpful. However, when a resort charges top dollar for thier rooms and services, I expect the best of the best. Tabacon is definately NOT worth price. Noone went out of their way to make your stay special and the rooms are standard for an expensive hotel. It was really nothing special.

My husband and I traveled up to Tabacon for 3 nights while we were celebrating our anniversary in Costa Rica. At check-in we were given a room with 2 Queen beds (even though our travel agencies itinerary confirmed 1 King Bed deluxe). The problem was that it took about 20 mins and 2 additional associates to solve this problem. They even asked to see our confirmation info from our itinerary. Kind of implying that we were wrong. Even if we were, switch our room and dont argue about it!! I've had better accomidations at a Holiday Inn.
Later that night I discovered our shower had no handle on either side of the door. So you could push the door in, but then had no way to get out. I told the front desk about this and it still wasnt fixed the next day. I ended up contacting the hotel manager and it was fixed by our last night. Additionally, our room had a broken DVD player (which took hotel maintance 2 days to have replaced). Once again the front desk offered to have someone show me how to use it. I explained that I'm perfectly competant and player wont turn on. Still a team of employees had to gather around our TV to confirm that yes, I wasnt making this up, the DVD player is broken.

The inconsistancies with Tabacon were rather appalling. One night we had turn down service, 2 other nights we didnt. Sometimes we could easily get a ride to their hot springs, sometimes we couldnt. One night didnt have ice in our room (as advertised), two other nights we did.

We met another lovely couple in town that were staying at another 5 star resort nearby. They truly loved their place. I believe it was called Nayara. I'd recommend staying at a different hotel and just coming to Tabacon for the hot springs.

Room Tip: Book and another 5 star hotel in town. I hear they are fabulous.
2  Thank Tina C
dpape, Gerente at Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Tina C

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We truly appreciate your open and honest feedback about your experience at our hotel over the holiday. I'm very concerned with the comments you made in regards to our service. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you faced with the type of bed you got. It is important for our receptionists to check the confirmations in order to give to the customers and travel agencies what they are asking. I apologize if this procedure did not make you feel comfortable. Please feel free to call me at your earliest convenience. Your satisfaction and well-being are of most importance to us and we hope to rectify the situation as soon as possible.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The resort is simply wonderful. Our room was well appointed, with a very comfortable bed and an amazing view of the Volcano. The entire staff was so kind and accommodating. There was no request to large. The food was delicious at both the hotel and the hot springs. The spa was the nicest we've ever gone to, and our therapist were very very good! If you go to La Fortuna spend the extra money and stay at Tabacon.

Dear Tripster111

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review here on TripAdvisor. The Feedback of our clients is very valuable to us, as it helps us to improve in the future. It is a pleasure to read that you had a nice stay with us and could enjoy our Restaurant Los Tucanes and Ave del Paraiso.

Our Grand Spa in deed is something very special as it is in a completely natural surroundings with a river right next to it.

Thank you very much for your recommendation, it will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Daniel

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is my third trip to Costa Rica and each time have stayed at the Tabacon Resort. This place is a must. Beautiful grounds, rooms are spaceous and beautiful. Staff is always attentive. Food at the Los Toucanes restaurant is great. The thermal pools are beyond imagination. The Nirvana section for adults only is a great place to escape some of the chaos below. Don't miss it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alanarnone
dpape, Gerente at Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Alanarnone,

Thanks a lot for your time to share with us your experience. It is pleasant to read that you had a nice experience with us. Our property is pleased with its location in the middle of the rain forest. All the surrounding is giving it a very special touch. In regards to your experience in Los Tucanes, it will be my pleasure to inform the kitchen and service team about your great experience. The Shangri La Gardens, is a new area in the Resort, an area where we promote calm and tranquility (there for we ask our youngest clients not to enter this area).
It would be a pleasure to be your host in the future again.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We came only for the hot springs, and did not experience the hotel, restaurant or spa. The springs & pools are to-die-for and well worth the expensive price of admission. It's a once in a lifetime experience & is a must-see. (cliches abound, but true)

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear s2kadam

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Many clients compare here on TripAdvisor our resort area with the Garden Eden. It is something difficult to describe, it a hot water river making pass through a nice green garden area, with many different sized and temperature pools.
It is a pleasure to know that you had a nice experience with us, it would be nice to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Our room (standard in the 400 block) was nice, clean, roomy. No view of the volcano though.

Hot springs (which are located just a 5 min walk down and across the street) were really well put together and price of admission is included with the room. This is why I decided on 5 stars instead of 4 for this hotel. Fairly extensive pathways with many little hot spring spots. Shangri La was a recent new addition which was very quiet and comfortable and open to adults only. There were many spots where two people could hide away and have a quiet moment. Also of note was the little drying machine they had in the locker rooms that could almost instantly dry your swimming apparel. Very cool little touch and attention to detail. The spa seemed REALLY nice, but we didn't take advantage. They do have complimentary yoga class monday-saturday open to hotel guests only which we checked out one day and enjoyed. Swim up bar at the Hot Springs pool was great! Good drinks, but pricey; but what do you expect when you are sitting in a hot spring driven pool. The heated aspect of the pool definitely put this one ahead of other resorts.

Hotel food wasn't so great… stay away from the expensive standard sandwiches (the pork wrap and chicken salad in our experience were pretty bad). Surprisingly, the breakfast although expensive was very good with french pressed coffee which was very tasty. Also, the pasta and the Tandoor dishes at the hot springs were surprisingly tasty. We avoided the buffets as they were very expensive and didn't look like they were worth the price of admission. Basically, try to find your meals elsewhere....

Room Tip: Ask at check-in about your view. You might get lucky and be offered a view of the volcano (but if not you can get a great view from the entrance to the hot springs...).
1  Thank Bethany H

Dear BethanyHDurham_NC

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. The Feedback of our clients is what helps us to improve and therefore I appreciate your comment. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed our Resort area. In regards to the Spa and our Yoga classes, please permit to make a comment on the free Yoga Classes, we do offer them from Tuesdays to Saturdays starting at 8:15 am with previous reservation. The reservation can be done calling at our instant service, guest service or at the reception of the Hotel.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the future to surprise you apart from the breakfast Buffet and Tandoor dishes with our evening buffets.

Best regards from Costa Rica