“Comfortable and Simple”

Las Cabanitas Resort
Sioux City, Iowa
“Comfortable and Simple”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Background: I stayed here with my group of 15 high school students(along with 17 students from other schools, plus chaperons) traveling with EF Tours. I also always travel with the mentality: things are not going to be like they are back home. With this in mind:

The “resort” is a nicer option if you are on a stricter budget. The cabins were quaint, but spacious, with AC. Our cabin (#3, I think) was always clean and did have one rocking chair on the porch. We always had hot water. There were probably more bugs in our room here than other places we stayed in Costa Rica, but still not bad considering the climate and environment. We kept the windows as closed as possible (especially in the bathroom, which had glass panes and no screens), but still managed to have a lizard in our bathroom one afternoon. Normally I am really squeamish when it comes to these things, but I was able to get it out the window.

I did not use the pool (it looked clouded the day we were there), but the grounds were nice to walk around. There was wifi in the common eating area that worked well. The food was good, though as we were in a group, our food preparation may be different than usual. What others have said about noise is true—those chickens get up very early, so maybe bring some earplugs.

Room Tip: Higher numbered rooms might be better to take you away from outside/street noises.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MiasmaFury

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Chatham Il
Reviewed July 2, 2013

If all you want from a hotel room is a great view, this is the place. Very nice view of the Volcano. However if you enjoy no hot water for a shower, comforters without disgusting stains, sheets you cannot literally read the paper thru, an in room coffee maker with no coffee or cups (requested, never received) and an A/C unit that left standing water on the vanity table this is n the place to stay.
When we arrived we were of course impressed with the view, and the fact that an employee of the hotel was standing by the whole time to assist. Of course after a short time he was long gone. A member of our group had to immediately be moved as their roof was leaking in 6 different places. It was the rainy season and they did not know that roof leaked when they placed them there? Later another member of the group complained they had the usual no hot water, but now no electricity.
Nice front porch to enjoy the view, but less than half the rooms have a chair on the porch and the few that do only have one.
I will give it 2 stars only because they had a decent pool and view.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels

CANADA
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Not very well located in La Fortuna, a good hike or short cab ride from town.

There was a large variance in the rooms offered here, so I would suggest that you request to see the room prior to check in. Our room was great, however some rooms had far less amenities, such as windows, mini fridge and Tv.

I would stay in town next time I am in La Fortuna to better make use of my time there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
St Louis, MO
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed here as part of our EF Tour and found charming spacious Cabins with wooden floors air conditioning, comfortable beds and plenty of hot water. The room was spotlessly clean and the staff pleasant. The food was nothing fancy bit was fresh and satisfying. The grounds are very pretty. With a great view of Arenal Volcano. It is a little noisy in the morning from the roosters in the farm next door, but we had to be up early anyway.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Triptek
Tualatin, Oregon
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This "resort" consisting of nice cabins surrounded by pretty landscaping was OK. The room was attractive and comfortable...once we obtained a remote to operate the A/C (yes, wierd). The wifi didn't reach the room and our patio didn't have a chair let alone two. A bit of a walk to town but we didn't mind the exercise and it is a nice time of year. A limited breakfast menu but still very tasty. Staff was friendly and helpful. And yes the pool was less than attractive with exposed wiring nearby on the deck.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oregonbc
Bremen, Germany
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at Las Cabanitas during a tour with gAdventures. The "resort" consists of cabins and a small, slightly dirty pool. Nobody in my tour group took a dip in there. The cabins are nice and spacious with A/C and fans. There is Wifi in the reception area which was pretty far from my cabin. I didn't like the fact that it was about a 15 minute walk from town and I didn't feel comfortable walking by myself after dark. I also had a lot of bugs in the room, potentially even bed bugs on the throw of my bed. It was fine for the three nights we stayed there, but I wouldn't have chosen the place myself and i wouldn't go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dulin38
Vasteras, Sweden
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and it was gig enough for us. Cute cabins/bungalows with nice bathrooms. Nothing more than we expected for a three stars hotel. It raked about 15 min to walk to La Fortuna Centrum. Five min walk to the nearest supermarket and a gas station on the other side of the road. The hotel had a great and cheap laundry service and regular breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
#8 of 8 in El Castillo
Arenal Tropical Garden
Arenal Tropical Garden
#21 of 50 in Arenal Volcano National Park

Been to Las Cabanitas Resort? Share your experiences!