“Cabinitas Buenas!”

Las Cabanitas Resort
Hayden, Idaho
“Cabinitas Buenas!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed here in June 2012 with a high school EF Tour. My cabinita was clean, comfortable & had good a/c once it was figured out. Poor water pressure and no hot water for the shower. No screens on the windows, so use care at night. I found huge insects in the bathroom when turning on the light. Pool was in poor shape and on site public telephone did not work. Food was good. Staff was pretty patient with our high schoolers. Not much to do at night

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TerreG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My first moments at this resort were spent on the pavement as we unloaded luggage in the driving rain at night. There is very poor lighting (true all over Costa Rica) and there was a rise in the pavement that I couldn't see so I ended up sprawled out and bleeding from a huge scrape on the knee. Scars are almost gone, two weeks later. Also, be prepared for the fact that the cabins make no numerical sense. We were in 206 - which is not anywhere near 205, which is at the end of a row. 206 is next to 170-something. Confused? Yeah, we were too. Especially in the dark and pouring rain.
Basically what I expected - damp, average cabin. There was a mounted AC, but it did nothing to dry any damp clothing so be prepared for that. The bathroom was alright. TV would not turn on though even though it was plugged in - not sure what was up with that. Disappointing, since we ended up missing the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. Oh well. Food was good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Texas
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Completely deceptive place. This place was supposed to have a pool, and AC for starters. In reality, the AC did not work, the pool was broken and there were bugs everywhere. For the price charged, this was completely unacceptable. From all accounts, this is standard business practice for the place. Don't ever stay here. If you find that your tour group plans to stay here, it would be wise to cancel your trip with them, since it doesn't speak too highly of them book you in a known "bad apple."

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed January 28, 2012

This hotel is very misleading in price! They claim to only cost $105 per night however, they decide what exchange rate they will use (which is much higher than the national and local rate.) Plus there is no spa services so it is misleading to be called a spa resort! The service was excellent during our stay but upon check out we tried to argue the price b/c we were charged more than were quoted. They claimed they would reimburse us.... That never happened!!!! Should have known something was up when our driver from the airport tried to argue the management when we were checking in about the exchange rate!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Not sure why Lonely Planet chose this as an "our pick" for their most recent edition of the Costa Rica book. This place sucked! First, we were put in a cabin with faulty AC and tons of bugs...then we were grudgingly moved to a second cabin. The AC didn't work too great in the second place, either, but we discovered this too late and there was no chance of moving again. The location isn't super convenient to the town, the pool hadn't been cleaned in a while, the bar wasn't open when we were there. In sum, the whole place felt deserted and sketch. Way overpriced, as well.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank katekristiina
Bettendorf, Iowa
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I would never choose to stay here. We were part of a large EF travel group. The rooms are about as basic as you can get, with the exception of air conditioning, which does not come standard in all Costa Rican hotels. There are no screens on the front windows, just shutters that do little to keep out mosquitoes or outside noise. In fact, I had a bird in my room the first night that entered through some hole in the ceiling! My cabin was near the pool and I could hear everything that was said, almost as if I were sitting out by the pool myself! There is no hot water and the tubs are gross looking. I had stains on my sheets (a pen mark and some other small spots). I expected that my second night there they would be changed, but in fact they had not changed the sheets: The same gross spots were there welcoming me! Food was average, and little meat was served with the dinners. Great view of Arenal, but I would not stay there for that reason only. Avoid.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank grantwz
Washington DC
Reviewed April 7, 2008

We were booked into this hotel as part of a travel package. I thought it was fine, but nothing special. The hotel consists of lots of small (one room) cottages right off the main road in the not very interesting town of La Fortuna near Arenal. For some reason, there was hardly anyone else staying there, so the property felt somewhat abandoned.

The rooms were adequate, but the furniture and beddings were cheap. There was a pool, which was great for the kids, but it wasn't very clean, and the bar area around it was closed, so you couldn't get food or drinks.

You can see the volcano from the property, but there are many, many vantage points from which to view it, so that really should not be a determining factor in choosing this accommodation.

• Liked — It was inexpensive
  • Disliked — the motel feel
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
#34 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Arenal Vista Lodge
Arenal Vista Lodge
#8 of 8 in El Castillo

Been to Las Cabanitas Resort? Share your experiences!