All reviewschalet roombutterfly gardenjunior suitecosta ricainfinity poolhorseback ridingwinding roadkids rooman adventureamazing viewsjacamar tourshowler monkeystour guideevery morningtour deskhiking trailshanging bridges
Reviewed August 19, 2017 via mobile

We only had one night here and were lucky to catch the weather just right. The volcano view is simply stunning.
The rooms are somewhat colonial in style and quaint, but perfectly acceptable and actually in keeping with the setting.
Take time to walk to the various trails. The butterflies and hummingbirds are simply gorgeous and compete for your attention.
There is a nice infinity pool and jacuzzi overlooking the volcano.
Alas the food, whilst OK, is nothing to write home about.
As others have said, to get the view you have a drive up the mountain side from the main road. As we had a hire car that was no problem to us.
If we had the opportunity to come back to the area I'd stop here again for the views.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
Marco D, Operaciones at Arenal Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2017

Thank you very much for your comment.
If you have the chance to come back to the area do not hesitate to stay in Arenal Lodge.

Reviewed August 19, 2017

The good: Our room was great - very clean and bright and the staff was amazing. The grounds are simply lovely with a striking view of the volcano and two gorgeous, very long hiking trails that were some of the best we've ever been on. The drive up is not bad at all. Yes, it's a winding road but it's certainly doable even without four-wheel-drive. The breakfast buffet is very good and includes both Tico and American options, including fried plantains, beans and rice, scrambled eggs, cereal, pancakes, sausage, etc.

The downside: Dinner was bad...the worst meal we had during our eight days in Costa Rica. The gym is a joke, so don't plan on working out if you're staying here. Internet was spotty, but we didn't to on vacation for wifi so that didn't bother us. The coffee provided in the room isn't good. Do yourself a favor and get your morning joe from the breakfast buffet, where it's much better.

Overall, I would recommend staying here and would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa S

Thanks for your comment.
The coffee in rooms is the same quality we use in the restaurant. We appreciate that you like the way we make it at breakfast.
We hope you can come back soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2017 via mobile

I stayed here with friends for a few days with friends while visiting Costa Rica. To be honest, it didn't look, like much from the street at first. My friends even questioned its street appeal at first. The lodge is at the top of a large mountain. It's used to be a plantation of some sort. The ride up really should be done during daylight, because the road is filled with many twists and turns. A sign that says 'You made it" at the top was amusing..
It's a beautiful place, with lots of wood and filled with a certain charm. My bedroom had amazing views of the volcano and the wildlife in the area. The room was very dark though, so leave the blinds open. The bed wasn't the best, but the room was very clean.I had problems with the air conditioning, the unit kept making loud grinding and popping noises for days, which caused me to wake up ever twenty minutes. I mentioned it to the desk, but nothing was done that I know of. I figured out if you raised the temp the noise mostly stopped. There was a wonderful porch out front of my room which allowed me to sit back and take in the views while I drank my coffee of had a beer.
Service, while good, was very laid back.All the service staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. No one seems to be in much of a hurry here, so just relax and don't expect things to be there immediately. There is a nice little bar and restaurant on site, which we used daily for breakfast (Included) and a few times for dinner. They don't use the air conditioning in there, so be prepared to sweat, even in the morning.
For the adventurous, there is an area of the rainforest to explore on top of the mountain within walking distance of the hotel. It's a beautiful and exhausting was to really enjoy Costa Rica for the day.
After sightseeing all day, we came back to our rooms to find little towel sculptures made by the cleaning staff.it was a nice touch, and put smiles on our faces daily.
The hotel also offers various tours at reasonable prices. You are close enough to the touristy areas to do things, but all the way up on the mountain, it is incredibly peaceful and quite.
I'd recommend staying here for the views alone.

Stayed: June 2017, traveled with friends
1  Thank chuckq

Thank you.
Very nice and descriptive comment. for sure will be useful for others to choose Arenal Lodge.

Reviewed August 18, 2017

So it's a beautiful location. Though a bit of a drive to "attractions/activities" and restaurants (20 minutes). The worst of which is the actual driveway up to the hotel (very long, windy, and dark). They could definitely use some lighting throughout the driveway.

We did the horse riding which was fun. But the gentleman probably should make sure the clients know something about riding a horse. Even just a 5 minute overview.

The food at restaurant was pretty average/good. The kids didn't so much like the fettuccine alfredo but can't please everyone all the time. But good enough and ended up eating there several times. Breakfast was ok too. Don't think 5 star on any of it.

Wildlife and area around was interesting and had a great view of the volcano. We did several excursions which were booked by the lady at the hotel. And while the excursions were fine, they were definitely pricey.

We paid to have a chalet (as family of 6). And needed the pullout couch - which was ok. I also had to do a rollaway, which was very minimally made, squeaky, and not comfortable. And with those two beds made there wasn't alot of room. The biggest issue with the chalets is that they were un-airconditioned and DARK! I some how missed when booking the air-conditioning (which would highly recommend in rainy season as things never dry out without it.) But the chalet really could have used better lights - was very dark. Additionally would suggest some drawers (there were none) and places for guest (families to "put" there things. We did make use of the little refrigerator and coffee pot.

I think overall it was a fine clean place to stay. But if I was to go again, I'd stay closer to the action and definitely make sure there was air conditioning (at least in rainy season).

Room Tip: Air conditioning,
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family

Thank you.
If you need the air condition at this moment we offer it in Junior suite and Family suite. as well in the master and matrimonial suite. We hope to extend the A/C to the chalets soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2017 via mobile

There is a strange, old world charm about this hotel, where we spent 4 nights with our 11 and 14 year old kids lately, but like a B lister looking for work it seems to be living off former glories. There is much to like about the Arenal Lodge. The location is lovely, very natural and secluded - you are 18km from La Fortuna (tick!) and at the end of a memorable 2.5km concrete driveway through amazing forest. Many of the staff are also out to please and the pool and views of the Volcano are top drawer. But some time ago someone stopped caring for this place and began cashing in. The bar is crazily over priced; the food is atrocious (and I don't say this lightly) and the gym belongs in the ark. Notwithstanding if you can (a) eat elsewhere (you'll need wheels) and (b) appreciate it for what it is then I'd suggest you haggle for your life to ensure your don't feel you've overpaid for this once-was 3* "Classico".

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family