What's to love about the Arenal Lodge? It's all about location. We flew into Liberia, rented a car and drove to the hotel. (Check out the Volcano Brewing company on the way: Delicious food, awesome views (our first look at monkeys) and very good beer) The adventure started when we arrive at the gate. The lodge has a long (1.5 miles) driveway that isn't fabulously maintained. I actually think the driveway gives yoou a perfect perspective of what the lodge itself is about: A fun adventure in a not so well maintained place.
The lodge is located in a great place. Close to good ziplining, hiking, and Arenal lake adventures, but still in the middle of no where. There was a lot of wildlife right at the lodge. An injured McCaw and a friendly Coati kept us company a great deal of the day. We were on a hunt for a sloth in the wild and, while we never saw one, several more had been spotted in our area around Arenal lodge than most places around Fortuna. The Balconies on the Junior Suites faces the volcano with FABULOUS views. Arenal was nature at its best.
The not so great part was the room itself. Expect lot of bugs (after all middle of the rainforest). The rooms are really dark. The beds are hard. The pillows were really uncomfortable. My husband and I spend a lot of time in public use cabins in Alaska- and it was MUCH better than a sleeping bag and a mattress pad. It just wasn't really what I expect.
The restaurant's food was delicious. We LOVED the sea bass.
The pool and jacuzzis are in a really cool location- again- they make you feel part of your environment. They keep the Jacuzzis cools (About 70 degrees Farenheit) until you ask them to turn them up, but then they are more than happy to.
I really liked this lodge. I just spent a lot of time while I was there thinking about amazing it could be with some renovaitons. Like everywhere we went in Costa Rica though, the staff is very friendly, the atmosphere is genuinely happy and relaxing, and the view is breathtaking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal Lodge provides guests with the excitement of staying in an authentic rainforest lodge with breathtaking panoramic views of Costa Rica’s famous Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. Guests will enjoy a casual and relaxed rustic lodge setting with the added value of a complimentary breakfast daily. Located on 2000-acres of beautiful tropical rainforest, the lodge is situated near Arenal Volcano National Park. The lodge is surrounded by rainforest - housing hundreds of exotic birds, small animals and the beautiful tropical flowers and trees of Costa Rica. and is its own local tourist attraction due to its exclusive location with breathtaking panoramic views of Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. The lodge features a full service restaurant with local and international cuisine, gift shop, three heated outdoor Jacuzzis, an infinite edge swimming pool, walking trails, a butterfly garden, horseback riding, a game room and outdoor playground for children, fitness room, sauna, and free wireless high speed internet access. Guest rooms and suites feature cable TV, telephone, coffee maker, clock radio, and all have private baths. Complimentary crib and wheel chair are available on request. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Arenal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Lodge Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park