Arenal Lodge
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$215
$201
Hotels.com
Hotel Lomas del Volcan(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$120
$108
  • Breakfast included
Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$146
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$138
  • Breakfast included
Hotel El Silencio del Campo(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$156
Hotels.com
Arenal Manoa Hotel(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$253
$160
Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$244
Volcano Lodge & Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$184
$138
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$299
TripAdvisor
Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$449
All reviewsbutterfly gardenchalet roomjunior suitecosta ricahorseback ridinginfinity poolwinding roadkids roomhowler monkeysjacamar toursan adventureamazing viewsevery morningtour guidetour deskhiking trailssan jose
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The Decor is very outdated which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's outdated and dirty! I mean old and dirty, you sit on the couches in the reception area and bugs and dust fly out!
Half the items in the rooms did not work, toilets rock back and forth on the floors, and the whole place has a musty/mold smell. Food was terrible but the views were AWESOME!
Pool is nice but small and the jacuzzi's are equally nice but small. Getting here was a PITA and it makes it hard to go anywhere for cheap. This would be my second to last choice if I ever stay in the area again.
All the tours and excursions though are fantastic!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

We arrived at the arenal lodge and checked into our junior suite. The room had a mouldy smell, which transpired to be from the water leaking through the roof onto the bed, the safe didn't work and it was obvious little or no money has been invested for some time, rusty bath etc. the view from the balcony, however, was excellent with the volcano perfectly positioned.

After speaking with reception we were moved to one of the chalets, without hesitation, which were a class above the junior suite.

The restaurant was below average, eat out! The bar closed at 10pm which was annoying.

I would advise only staying here in a chalet with a car as you pay extra for excursions for transport, it's 15mins from the chalet to get onto the main road down a steep road.

The complimentary nature walk was good fun and the guide was very keen and knowledgable, we abstained from the horse riding as the horses didn't seem too healthy.

Overall the views are awesome but the hotel is in disrepair due to lack of investment, the restaurant was poor and the staff were average.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I travelled with my 11 month old, my husband, mom and aunt. The hotel is very well priced for all you receive, I was very surprised that it included a rainforest tour as well as horseback riding, you can take the tours as many times as you want. The staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. Our rooms were very big and had a great view with a great balcony. The pool was also very nice, and the grounds were well kept. I was also surprised about the buffet breakfast, there was a lot of selection and there was always something good to eat. The restraurant for lunch and dinner was also very good (except for the ceasar salad).
The only downfalls were that the hotel is quite far out (but taxis arent expensive), and it has a long windy road to get there. Also during our stay we had some techinical issues in/with our room.
But overall a lovely place to stay for a good price. We plan to return in the future.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Great place to unwind. The views were magnificant. The accomodations were clean and well maintained. The staff were polite and helpful. I have been in LaFortuna on two other occasions. These were the best accomodations that I have expereinced. It was quiet, natural and yet I felt like I could get whatever I might need if necessary. I liked the setting along with their appreciation of the environment.

Room Tip: ert the lodges on the top of the resort.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I really wasn't expecting much from this hotel, especially since I booked the most basic room, which promised a "garden view." Check in was easy and young man at the front desk explained to us all the amenities pretty thoroughly. I'm not sure it we got a free upgrade, but when we got to the room, it was huge! We had 2 double beds, a futon, dining table with chairs, and a sweet view of Volcan Arenal (it would have been better if it wasn't so foggy, but I digress). The bathroom sink counter was easily 5 feet long, providing plenty of room for my excessive amount of toiletries. No bathtub, but a fairly large shower stall with hot, pressured water. The mattresses were meh, but I slept well regardless.

We did the free horseback riding tour provided by the hotel. Miguel, our tour guide, did a wonderful job of leading us through the property. He talked to us about several different things and pointed out a number of plants and animals. We even saw a glimpse of a jaguar as it darted behind a bush!

Next I'll talk about the tour lady (I forgot her name, I'm sorry!). She sits at the Jocabar tours booth inside the reception area. She was able to book us a last minute kayaking tour on Arenal lake, which was fantastic! She was so excited to work with us and made sure that we told her all about our trip when we got back. Go talk to her. She'll hook you up!

Now, let me tell you about the free breakfast! It is pretty damn tasty! Not your typical carby cereal bar/assortment of different breads. They had buffet style scrambled eggs, sausages, fried sweet plantains, seasoned potatoes, pancakes, gallos pintos, toast, cereal, fresh fruit, juice, coffee, etc. They even had an omelette station! Make sure to put the Lizano sauce (the green one) on everything. I am now addicted to the stuff. The restaurant also serves up a fancy dinner, about $10-15 a plate. The food really is excellent though. I would recommend any of the fish dishes. The chicken and rice was also good. I didn't particularly like their pasta, but I think it's because the seafood mix "shrimp, clams, octopus" were not fresh. Avoid those. Cocktails are good and reasonably priced at around $5-8, as is their French wine. Dessert was lackluster. They take both dollars and colones here.

Overall, this hotel was great! The price we got was unbeatable and I will come back to this hotel in a heartbeat if I ever find myself on a trip to Costa Rica again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple