My husband and I stayed here during our first two nights in Costa Rica, and as others stated, the rooms are a bit dated, but we would still return here again simply for the restaurant staff.
There were two main guys that always seemed to be working during our stay here; Johnathan & Caesar (Or at least those are the names they gave to us). Caesar was the older guy (Another person described him as looking like Obama), and Johnathan, a dark haired middle aged gentleman, who seemed to work around the clock. Johnathan was absolutely amazing, and I cannot say enough about his hospitality. I am surprised to read in other reviews, that not everyone got the same great service.
We visited the restaurant several times during our stay, but on our last morning there, we missed breakfast by an hour (We ended up having our watch set to Seattle time, not Costa Rica time). Johnathan was more than understanding, and even though it was our own fault, he had some breakfast made up specially for us, and didn't even charge us (And we weren't expecting anything for free). My husband and I both work in the hotel industry, and he is truly someone who we would want working for us. It isn't always the amenities a hotel offers, but the customer service that will keep people coming back.
That being said, there are other things that the hotel is lacking. They offer a computer with internet for use in their lobby, but it is so old and dated, that it doesn't even work. Don't waste your time. Also, the refrigerator in the room needed a good cleaning (We were in the family suite), and bugs seemed to attract to certain spots of the room, where they would pile up. Gross, but by the time it was a real issue, we were already checking out. Lastly, we visited their butterfly garden (If you can even call it that), and it seems the hotel has abandoned it. There were no butterflies, and I don't think an actual person had been in there in quite some time.
All in all, this hotel just needs a little TLC, and it would be wonderful. Especially great for families, as there is so much to do on property, and they have such large suites available.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal Lodge provides guests with the excitement of staying in an authentic rainforest lodge with breathtaking panoramic views of Costa Rica’s famous Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. Guests will enjoy a casual and relaxed rustic lodge setting with the added value of a complimentary breakfast daily. Located on 2000-acres of beautiful tropical rainforest, the lodge is situated near Arenal Volcano National Park. The lodge is surrounded by rainforest - housing hundreds of exotic birds, small animals and the beautiful tropical flowers and trees of Costa Rica. and is its own local tourist attraction due to its exclusive location with breathtaking panoramic views of Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. The lodge features a full service restaurant with local and international cuisine, gift shop, three heated outdoor Jacuzzis, an infinite edge swimming pool, walking trails, a butterfly garden, horseback riding, a game room and outdoor playground for children, fitness room, sauna, and free wireless high speed internet access. Guest rooms and suites feature cable TV, telephone, coffee maker, clock radio, and all have private baths. Complimentary crib and wheel chair are available on request. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Arenal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Lodge Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park