“Nice place to eat and admire the Arenal”

Novillito's Steak House
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Latin, Central American, Costa Rican, Spanish, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Curridabat
“Nice place to eat and admire the Arenal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

The right name is El Novillo Steak House and Seafood.

First what I didn't like. Toilets are filthy. Not a nice place to use the restroom.

On the other hand prices are rigth and the food is nicely done. Tasty.

Would come back.

1 Thank Jose M

• Hebrew first
Eugene, Oregon
“Great steaks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

This restaurant was well reviewed in TA, but what nobody mentioned is that it is under new management since earlier this year. When we mentioned it to our hotel staff they told us not to go. HOwever, we insisted and so glad we did. The chef/waiter was very attentive and made some great suggestions. The steaks were fantastic. We received free desserts as well. The only issue for some is that the chairs are stools and thus do not have backs. This could be a problem if one has lumbar issues. Otherwise, we heartily recommend!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank BruinontheGo
Laguna Beach, California
“Skip this one”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

Prior to going to Arenal (our first trip to Costa Rica) I checked out most of the restaurants in the area. I searched using TripAdvisor as my main source. The reviews for this place were excellent so we decided to give it a try as I am a real steak fan. What a disappointment!!! I ordered the filet and it came out looking like a piece of round steak and was so undercooked that the meat was cold. The waiter took it back and brought me out another steak with Gorgonzola cheese saying it was his specialty of the house and it was no better. The steak was so fatty. Beyond what you might expect with a nice marbled steak. Go to Benedictus instead!!!

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Vickiew54
South Orange, New Jersey
“Awesomeness ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

This is spectacular,I wish I could come here everyday. Great service- excellent fresh ingredients and good technique from chef. On top the prices include sales taxes - so no unpleasant surprises like in other locations!

Calgary, Canada
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to try this place out based on the excellent reviews. We were not disappointed! The restaurant doesn't look like much...just an open area under a roof with a central kitchen just off to the left side of the main road as you enter La Fortuna coming from the Arenal volcano. The server we had spoke English well which was very helpful because my Spanish is terrible ;). He even brought out all the different cuts of meat to show us what each looked like before cooking. We had the mixed seafood ceviche which was amazing and a healthy serving size then I had the jalapeño tenderloin and my boyfriend had the peppercorn tenderloin. Both were really delicious and presentation was very nice. The steaks each came out on a big cutting board with a side of rice, green beans with garlic, a few French fries, steamed cauliflower, carrot, and broccoli (also with garlic - yum!). We each had a glass of Cabernet also which was very good wine, not mediocre like lots of house wines. Overall, not cheap but a great meal for a good value $59 for both of us to have our steaks, share an order of ceviche, as well as a total of 3 beer, 2 glasses of wine, and we each got a small desert (small cubes of fruit in a sweet sauce...mango we think). I would highly recommend Novillitos. Don't let the appearance when you drive up put you off.

Visited March 2014