“Great family-run, local food place”
Review of Novillito's Steak House - CLOSED

Novillito's Steak House
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Costa Rican, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 9, 2013

It was, without doubt, our best meal in a 10 days vacation in Costa Rica. The food is authentic, fresh, and interesting, but overall - very tasty.
Its not only a Steak House - they have a whole menu of dishes whohc are not steaks, like chicken and fish and vegeterian.
We enjoyed the friendly service (speak excellent English), the relaxed, road side athmosphere and the very good food for very reasonable prices.

Bits in one hand all the other La Fortuna fancy places.

1  Thank Erang183
There are newer reviews for Novillito's Steak House

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We ate at two places recommended by trip advisor on our recent trip to arenal. This was in second place.

View of the volcano and low key atmosphere was awesome. It's an open air structure right off the road.

Service was fine. Nothing to write home about but fine. We were the only ones there for lunch, and it seemed to take a bit long. Also our waiter was busy BSing with some local folks.

It was comparable in price. Portion sizes were great, but I thought the food was only so-so. I got the novillito steak (house special) and I thought it was quite bland. The meat was a little over cooked but it was tender. My wife had the breaded chicken and thought it was great.

1  Thank Woody84109
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I must apologize for posting this review so late, we are on the verge of our next adventure to Spain and Portugal and started thinking about our last trip when I took my family to Costa Rica this past Christmas. We had a fantastic time, the Ticos are warm and tolerant people throughout the country and we all can't wait to go back.

One restaurant I wanted to highlight in particular, is Novillito's Steak House near Arenal. We were looking for lunch on our way to see the volcano and just outside a small town (La Fortuna de San Carlos, I believe) we spotted a neat little open walled bar and grill named Novillito's, where the chef, complete with crisp white smock, waved as we roared past. We all had a good feeling about the place so I backed up and in we went.

The chef (who's name escapes me) was loads of fun but beyond that was a tremendous cook who prepared what turned out to be the best meal we were to have on the entire trip. We had the sea bass with beefsteak that included typico beans, rice, and plantains with complimentary ice cream for desert. I should note we were four adults and also had ceviche with avocado, garlic bread, several beers each and left with an excellent bottle of wine tucked under my arm, all for around US$100. It was an outstanding introduction to the culture and food of this great country that you should plan on sampling if you go to Arenal. Remember to drive past the many touristy joints in the center of town and hold out for Novillito's just outside.

Be sure to tell the chef that 'La Patrona' says hello!

-- Peter

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Went based on the reviews here, were the only customers (off season), and felt like we were dining at a friend's home. Great place, awesome people, unbelievable food. Seriously, don't miss this place!

1  Thank NRBean12
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This place is small and quant and just what we were looking for!!!! An amazing dinner!!!!! We had something off the menu- steak, sea bass, pork and chicken for 2 with beans and rice, tortillas, uka root (so good u must try it!), and a potato with garlic butter! It was a feast and only $36 for 2 people to eat all that food and 2 soft drinks!!! Tip well because they are such nice people and its a family owned business!

1  Thank Costaricanchick