“Go somewhere else”

The Flying Tomato A Vegetarian Experience
Good for: Scenic view
Good for: Scenic view
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My gf and I visited a day or two after New Years. We are no strangers to vegetarian, vegan or raw food and she wanted to find this place as it was the only "listed" restaurant of the type we could find in La Fortuna. We were staying very close in a good hotel, so we decided to wander down the streets to find it. It was dark and there was very poor lighting and very poor roads, looking like a sketchy area. The yard was dark but the gate was wide open and there was a sign that said "open" by it with another sign just in front of the building with the same. There were 2 or 3 small groups of people and a couple animals running around. It looked like some were just having drinks and a couple had just eaten. We walked in and I smiled at a couple that smiled back while others stared at us oddly. We WERE foreigners after all. No one offered any advice or looked like they were working so we wandered up to the counter and grabbed a menu. The place looked dirty, with small pets running around and cheap plastic furniture. It looks like a converted patio for friends that aren't concerned with hygiene than a business. A male appeared behind the counter and in a loud voice said "We are closed!". That's it. No buenos noches or explanation. He didn't smile or say anything else. We pointed out the open signs on our way out. We did not try the food (which is why I am giving them a poor instead of terrible rating - benefit of the doubt) but we would not go back due to the first impression. They were rude, clearly open or not advertising correctly and it really did not look like somewhere we wanted to eat anyways. The bad reviews that are on here are true and we wonder how they run a business, let alone get good reviews with service like that. You can find decent salads, soups, rice and other friendly dishes all over town.

2  Thank Rob J
There are newer reviews for The Flying Tomato A Vegetarian Experience

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

the hamburgers were awesome.
but you must try the pizza..
we stayed and slept in la fortuna for about 5 days.
and is it all types of other restaurants.
this guy beats everybody's prices for vegetarian food.
as a matter of fact I think he's the only budgetary restaurant in that town.
you must go try it.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I still can't believe that the 2013 edition of Lonely Planet's Costa Rica Travel Guide recommends "The Flying Tomato". According to Lonely Planet, this Restaurant is a good option for vegetarians and offers a variety of good meals. When we arrived there, we couldn't believe our eyes. This "restaurant" is nothing more than a terrace with a greasy plastic table. The owner is a US-citizen in his 40s, who seems to have no particular interest to run a restaurant at all. So far, so bad. But the food tops it all. These were the worst Nachos I've ever had. The Cheese Sauce smelled really bad and tasted even worse. The Hamburger was not good at all as well. I'd rather prefer any cinema Nachos at any given place in the world.

Negative:
+ Dogs and cats going in and out the kitchen
+ Weird atmosphere and strange owner
+ Expensive meals
+ Disgusting meals
+ Drunk and half naked US-Desperado sitting at the bar and cursing a lot
+ IT'S NO restaurant/café/bar

I don't know what motivated the Lonely Planet reviewer to list the Flying Tomato in the Costa Rica Guide, but that's absolutely a big mislead. After I couldn't even eat the half of my Nacho plate, the owner called his dog to offer him the rest of the food. I hope the dog is well, my thoughts are with him. After our "dinner" we were so afraid of getting diarrhoea, we drank a double shot to kill the germs.

3  Thank w8er
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Not a typical restaurant - more like eating in someone's front room. After so many hotel restaurants this was a refreshing change. Nice too to be able to choose anything from the menu - not many veggie options in other places. Enjoyed chatting with the owner over a beer. Good food. Great place.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

A welcomed break from the fried greasy crap you end up consuming every day in Costa Rica. Had an amazing smothie with local fruits, the guy from Pennslyvania who works there even gave me a shot of Noni berri for my stomach problems which seemed to do the trick. THey take their time to make great food, well worth the wait. Family Atmosphere