“Poor Shipping Service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Down to Earth Coffee Shop

Down to Earth Coffee Shop
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We appreciate your good intentions to rate us but please refrain from doing so...WE DO NOT believe on TA!
New York City, New York
“Poor Shipping Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

On our recent trip to Costa Rica, we believed we found a gem in Down to Earth Coffee in Fortuna. The owner Matias was friendly, knowledgeable and best of all passionate about his coffee. Based on his recommendations, we chose to order 17 pounds of a different variety of coffee for friends, family and co-workers. Matias offered instead of us carrying the coffee, he would ship it for us to the states for $25.00 and we would have it just a few days after we returned.

We are home from Costa Rica for over 3 weeks now and still no coffee. Three phone calls and two emails later threatening to dispute with American Express, and Matias lets us know he his canceling the shipment and refunding the money, No need for me to dispute with Amex (which I will wait and see). Unfortunately, when I checked Shipment records, the label was only generated on March 6th, 3 weeks after our original order while in the store.

The Moral of the story is, if you do go there, take the coffee home with you and do not order from him online as you may not get it.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Matias Z, Owner at Down to Earth Coffee Shop, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Mr Lustberg, i dont think TA is going to allow this response to go online because they like the ones where the business apologizes and promises never to do it again. But, in any case, here it goes:

1- Could not have promised that the coffee was going to be at your house by the time you got back because i did not know your travel dates. You were in my store a total of 10 minutes tops.

2- The coffee shipped on the 27th, as it was stated in your form. Your statement about the three weeks stretches it out a bit because you are counting calendar days and not business days. No one works on weekends, not US customs nor UPS. I cancelled the order on the 14th, three days before you this review.

3- You are falling short when you state the number of calls and emails. Just on the day i decided that "enough was enough" and cancelled your order/requested your refund, you called our toll free 6 times and wrote three emails.

I don't know from your perspective, but from mine it is a bit too many calls/too many emails for an order that was already on its way. You had received the tracking number from UPS on the 6th so a bit of patience would have been great, by this time you would have been enjoying our coffee at home.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Fantastic coffee, friendly service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stopped by this place on our last day in Costa Rica, on our way home from paradise. The owner was very genial and we talked about the region and coffee growing. At the time, the kind of whole beans we wanted most weren't in stock--so he arranged to send us a sampler pack back to the US in addition to another bag we bought at the store. I can say, I bought other high-end coffees in Costa Rica, ground them and prepared them the same way here at home, and these beans (specifically the Dota Estate Natural Harvest Medium and Dark) are far and away the very best I had. Kudos, this is really fantastic stuff. If you're in La Fortuna, make a point of visiting--it will be worth your while. I bought 4 bags and wish I'd bought more.

1 Thank Mark B
Matias Z, Owner at Down to Earth Coffee Shop, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind review but please be informed that WE DONT BELIEVE in Trip Advisor, too easy to post fraudulent reports.
Boston
“Not impressed with their changes!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

I was there a year ago and really enjoyed the products and the easy conversation and laughter with the staff. The coffee was great and I took half a dozen pounds of beans home with me. I just went there a little while ago on my anual Costa Rica trip and my impression was as poor as my first one had been good. The coffee is not the same, they must have grown too fast and started to buy it somewhere else. The treatment of the coffee has also undoubtedly changed, there was the unmistakable hint of formaldehyde which shouldn't exist in a supposedly organic coffee. While the product that I purchased last year was undoubtedly a single source product, I would stake my reputation on the fact that this is no longer true.

When I asked about it the owner, a surprisingly unfriendly Costa Rican man, was very rude and agressive without offering an explanation as to why the flavour had changed, telling me that I knew nothing about coffee. Funny, given that I'm the president of my coffee club at home.

I suppose that every business can have a bad day, but I went back toward of the end of my trip hoping that the bad day had been an anomaly. Unfortunately it was not. I had mentioned Down to Earth to quite a few people as a place for an interesting coffee at a good price because of my earlier experience, but I honestly think now that you would do better sticking to Kona or Blue Mountain.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
matiaszeledon, Owner at Down to Earth Coffee Shop, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
No longer part of trip advisor nor interested in reading fraudulent reviews.
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
“The best Coffee!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

here you can find the best coffee in Costa Rica, seriously, and specially with all the information Matias can give you. Would definitely recommend if you want to try some really good coffee!

Visited January 2012
Thank you for your kind review but i want to inform you that WE DONT BELIEVE in Trip Advisor, it is too easy to post fraudulent reviews here.
albany, ny
“Best coffee, Best Chocolate covered beans and Fig Ice Cream/Coffee Shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We met Matias on a tourist bus which dropped him at the shop and he gave the bus a large bag of chocolate covered beans. We had to go back and found the best coffee we've ever had, even in Costa Rica, and fig ice cream which was delicious by itself and very good in a latte. As others have said, conversation and education also delightful. Starbucks pales by comparison

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gourmetguy, Owner at Down to Earth Coffee Shop, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review, really appreciate positive feedback like yours.

Best,