“delicous meal”

Altamira Restaurant
Cuisines: Central American, Costa Rican, South American
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Forest Park, Illinois
“delicous meal”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

My husband and I are in Costa Rica for our honeymoon and wanted to celebrate our last nice in La Fortuna before moving on to Guanacaste. We looked up restaurants on TA and saw that Altamira Restaurant at the Arenal Nayara Hotel was well reviewed. We drove from our hotel (Royal Corin). It was a short and easy drive. There was plenty of easy parking and we were welcomed as guests of the restaurant. The eating area was open air but well covered. The lighting was a bit too dim for our tastes but that is probably the only negative we can say about our evening. Everyone we spoke to easily conversed with us in English. We were offered water; we requested tap. As we were looking over the menu the guy who makes guacamole table side came over and offered to serve us some. We said yes as other reviewers recommended it. We are very glad we said yes as the guac was very very good. The price was $8 and it was fun to see him make the guac. My husband picked the mahi mahi which was served with a variety of steamed vegetables which were served in the same delicious sauce as the mahi mahi. The vegetables were perfectly steamed (just soft while still seeming very fresh). A side of white rice was also included. I chose options of the special of the day ($25 for appetizer, entree, and dessert). I had the the taco salad, tostadas, and ice cream nachos. I loved my entire meal. The chipotle dressing on the salad was awesome. My husband had a glass of chardonnay (off of the by the glass menu) and I had a margarita on the rocks. Both were very nice. My husband had the tres leche cake for dessert. The manager of the restaurant walked around and was available as well as multiple servers. She even offered to take a picture of us, which we accepted. The mood of the place was lovely and even though it was down-pouring all around us we were very comfortable. As the evening went on a guitarist played. The restrooms were just inside the lobby of the hotel. I did have to walk under an awning that barely protected me from the rain but the bathroom was very nice. Our overall bill was just under $90 for a very large meal with great service. We were very satisfied and would come back.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Kd N

Miami, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pura vida indeed”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This place lives up to the reviews, my wife and I were honeymooning and decided we wanted to treat ourselves to a romantic dinner , The ambience was perfect and the staff was first class. The lighting was dim, and there is a great acoustic guitarist doing soft instrumental covers of classics like Hotel California and Don't Stop Believing, this made the night all the more special while in the the house Chef grilled our filet mignon to perfection as the flames danced off the grill amid a backdrop of falling raindrops. We both chose the 3 course Chefs special which include salad items, two types of grilled chorizo, a cut of select meats for the chef to grill, and dessert. Our waiter reccomend the Argentinian Malbec which was both affordable and delicious. The coconut flan and chocolate brownie are indulgent. If you want to treat yourself I highly recommend Altamira, it's not cheap but a great bang for your buck.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Joshuasquashua
Lubbock, Texas
“Riquísimo”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The absolute best food my husband and I have ever tasted. We stayed at the Nayara with the Romance Package so 3 course dinners were included and then of course breakfast. I loves the local costa rican food for breakfast, it was great! The dinner was breath taking it was so good. WE had the best service there. Luis, Pepe, and the female manager are wonderful. We wish we were still there!

Visited May 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Our favorite restaurant in La Fortuna”
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Not only was the restaurant beautiful and the food incredible, but the fun-loving and fantastic staff made this our favorite place during our stay. Yessenia, Keilor, and Octavio were amazing and hilarious. And after dinner, we got a personal VIP tour of the hotel grounds by the co-owner, Angelo! We chose this place because of the already stellar reviews on TA and we were not disappointed!

Visited May 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
“Beautiful resort/restaurant and great food!”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We went to Altamira for dinner one night when staying in the Arenal area. It's a beautiful restaurant with lovely ambiance. We ordered from the buffet and had wonderful, local steaks (grass fed) with chimmichurri, fresh salads, and great desserts. Fantastic food!

We also looked around the resort grounds a little bit while we were there and it was very beautiful. Looks like an ideal honeymoon destination or couple's getaway.

• Visited May 2014