New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Altamira Restaurant

Altamira Restaurant
Cuisines: Central American, Costa Rican, South American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Miami Beach, Florida
“Above par for La Fortuna”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Nayara - so we had breakfast here every day, as well as dinner for two of the evenings. One night was a "grill out" night for July 4 - which is essentially buffet style - but we ordered off the menu both nights.
I had the Mediterranean salad, arroz con pollo, and the Churrasco. The salad was nice. The churrasco was not a churrasco - more of a rib eye steak - but cooked well enough and seasoned nicely. The arroz con pollo was great.
My husband had the tuna tartare (which he loved), the gnocchi pesto (which was average) and french fries (great)!
The staff is phenomenal and very accommodating. I wanted dessert on July 4, so the waiter told me to just go to the buffet and take what I wanted (even though I hadn't ordered the buffet).
Get the guacamole - Juan Carlos makes it great!

• Visited July 2013

Charlotte, NC
“Easily the best experience for dinner in LaFortuna”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was quite shocked to find this restaurant is not listed in the top 5 of restaurants in the area on Tripadvisor. I am a former travel agent and wanted to experience Nayara on some level since I knew it was a special place and it was all booked up during our dates of travel. When I tried to make reservations through our hotel reception, she sort of tried to "discourage" us about going but I was insistent. I'm so glad I was!
This was my favorite meal in LaFortuna and definitely the best experience. (Cost less than Don Ruffino's) It has a beautiful, upscale-casual ambiance with live music playing softly in background. The service was 5 star. In general, we were very disappointed with food choices and prices in LaFortuna, but this was the shining star. This would not be a good choice in evenings for families with small noisy children, but our 11 yr old son has experienced fine dining enough that he was very much at home there. If you are in the area and only can do one special dinner, don't miss this one. I recommend it highly--wish we could have eaten here every day!

2 Thank rockmama12052
Florida
“Perfecrt Start to Finish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

While staying at Nayara we dined here EVERY night! We never wanted to leave!
Service is personable and attentive. GET THE GUAC! (thanks Juan Carlos)

• 3 of 5 stars
Arkansas
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We had only had one meal here, but it was excellent. The live music by the guitar player was excellent and provided a romantic atmosphere. They had a $25 price fix menu that included three courses. This was a great value and a wonderful meal. The service was excellent and we were sorry that we did not have more nights to try the restaurant again.
After your meal, don't neglect to try the wine bar. It is a fun experience with a great staff.

2 Thank John J
Atlanta, Georgia
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This restaurant at Nayara Hotel is incredible. Food was very tasty and the place is very elegant. The menu was diverse and the presentation first class. The service was very friendly and knowledgeable. Sadly, we only had one night to eat here.

1 Thank btnusa