“Very Reputable Operator”

Book In Advance
More Info
$55.00*
and up
One-way Shared Bus Shuttle From La Fortuna to San...
More attraction details
Owner description: Agua Trails has been operating affordable tours and shuttles to Nicaragua for almost a decade. We are a Costa Rican tour operator that offers shuttles and multi-day tours to Nicaragua, leaving from La Fortuna (Costa Rica). Our bilingual local staff in Costa Rica and Nicaragua provides a smooth service at the border, and our enthusiastic service providers are keen to make your stay in Nicaragua a unique and unforgettable experience. Are you enjoying Costa Rica and looking for your next destination, travel to nearby Nicaragua with Agua Trails!
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I booked this tour but I had to call the owner, Poll, at 6:15 am and regretably cancel our reservation for 7:20 am as we had both gotten food poisoning the previous night. I was really surprised when he called us back a few hours later and asked one of us to meet him at his office later that afternoon so he could return part of our money. He said he was sorry that he couldn't return all of of it. Had this been a tour anywhere else I am positive we would have never seen ANY of the money and we were grateful to Poll that he gave us what he did. On on our next trip to Costa Rica we plan to make that trip with his company!

2  Thank Suzski
All reviews
"san carlos"
in 23 reviews
"el castillo"
in 4 reviews
"costa rica and nicaragua"
"day trip"
"company"
in 5 reviews
"journey"

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Crossing borders are never fun. It takes always time, burocracy, maybe some small payments to get a stamp. There are just a few bordercrossing between Costa Rica and Nicargua. I think only two. I did the one at the west side a couple of years ago. Took me hours and the road was also very long and busy. Than last december I took a boat from Costa Rica over a beautiful river to the borderpost of San Carlos with this Agua Trails company. The bordercrossing went evry very smooth, some minutes and than the boatride was just great, all kind of birds, iguanas, the Jesus Christ lizzard, turtles, howler monkeys from very close by. The boat stopped a coule of times for letting me taking a phot. After we went to El Castille, a really tranquile village with an old spanish fortress. The jungle was great and the people friendly. A highly recommend experience!

1  Thank Tomvanderleij
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This trip is the best way to see a little of Nicaragua and not spend a fortune. A truly different kind of tour. We left La Fortuna in the morning and returned late that same afternoon. It was like having a river wildlife tour, cross border experience, and culture experience all in one day. Also, we got to see the great Lake Nicaragua. There was also great seafood in San Carlos, a wonderfull surprise! We appreciated that everything was very well organized and perfectly safe. The guides and boat capitan were enjoyable and very friendly. The ride on the river has more wildlife than most places we have seen in Costa Rica.
Summary: A long, but relaxing day, trouble and worry free. Well organized and Great Value for your dollar. Many thanks Polle, Franklin, and Margorie, we hope to be back to visit soon!

1  Thank derekincr
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is certainly a trip that makes visiting Nicaragua easy and fun. The guides know the ropes and make the trip seamless, while also taking the time to ensure viewing wildlife and cultural immersion in a quaint river town in Nicaragua. The trip only takes a day, yet you cover so much. There is great shopping as well... highly recommended, and something we will certainly consider again the next time we plan on visiting Nicaragua. It is great for kids too...there was 11 of us, 5 of us were kids under 12...

1  Thank JonTE119
See more reviews
Reviewed October 14, 2012

First off, let me start by saying while doing my research for our first (of many..hopefully, we will eventually move there!) trips to Costa Rica, I was trying my best to find a day trip to Nicaragua to fit into our tight schedule (I love to cram our vacations full of adventures!). I was having much luck for months, until I saw Agua Trails come up on Facebook, I believe. On their site, it said that they only did the day trip monday, wednesday and friday. The only day we had open was on a thursday. I emailed them anyway. Polle was so accommodating! He said that it could be done on a thursday as long as there were at least three of us (which there were).

Nicaragua (at least the border town that we were in) is quite different than CR. It was really great to cross the border and experience the ways that people live differently than us. Marjorie was our guide when we got to Nicaragua and she showed us around her town with pride. Polle met back with us later on at lunch and then for the ride home again (which was partially traveling down the rio frio across the border). Crossing back over the border to come back into CR felt a little shady, as some guys took us into some hangar, asking us questions and then we still had to go to the immigration office, but that just added to the experience.

It was an amazing day. We got to travel down the river while seeing monkeys, jesus christ lizards, birds, etc., a small town in Nicaragua, little girls doing some traditional dances for us at lunch, and also a stop to see the many iguanas on our way up to the border in the morning.

To top it all off, when Polle dropped us off, we asked him if he could recommend a restaurant in La Fortuna, and drop us off there instead of our hotel. That was no problem at all. My partner actually left his camera in his car. He realized it later on after dinner and we called Polle. He went out of his way later that night to drop it off to at our hotel.

This is a newer company and once they start getting more and more reviews, they will definitely be on top!