“Up close with nature”

Arenal Oasis Wildlife Refuge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Experience Arenal´s only wild frog sanctuary at night, when colorful tree frogs and other rainforest wildlife are most active and most easily observed. At least 28 frog species have made their home the ponds of Arenal Oasis. The Rojas Bonilla family carefully maintains native plants of Arenal, to create needed frog habitat in this private wildlife reserve of fresh spring water fed ponds; within a rainforest refuge connecting the rainforests of the Arenal Volcano and El Rio Burio. The night tour continues past the frog ponds along flat trails immersed in the noisy night rainforest. The guide will point out animals hiding from you. Support, enjoy and learn about the only wild frog sanctuary in the Arenal Volacano Area. Tours led by trained naturalist along flat rainforest trails start at 5:45pm at Arenal Oasis. Flashlights are provided and reservations are necessary. Included in the Tour: - Flashlights - Transportation Round Trip - Certified Naturalist Guide - Entrance Fee - Drinks What to Bring: - Camera - Closed Shoes - Long Pants - Raincoat - Confortable light Clothing - Big Smile
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We booked in for the forest night walk, which was scheduled for two hours but lasted almost three, and this was the highlight of our 11 days stay in the country. Andreas, one of the family who won the place, was our guide and he found so much wildlife: frogs, toads, insects, snakes, including the “poster boy”, the red eyed (green) tree frog. The tour is open to non-guests, and should be on everyone’s itinerary.

All reviews
"night walk"
in 34 reviews
"night tour"
in 23 reviews
"frog tour"
in 10 reviews
"the red eyed tree frog"
in 9 reviews
"frog species"
"blue jean"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Long story short; my friend and I did the 'Frog Tour' and it was absolutely amazing! We stayed at a hotel quite far from La Fortuna and transport was arranged to collect and drop us off at the Oasis during the evening, no problem. We were also provided with a torch and bottle of water.

Our guide, Inti, was obviously totally in-love with these creatures (very knowledgeable too) and had a great eye for spotting them during the tour. His English was great and we saw at-least 3 Red Eyed Tree frogs, loads of more common frogs, and a really elusive (but spectacular) 'Glass frog'. I wish we'd booked a private tour so we could've stayed out longer and perhaps got some better photographs myself.

Inti showed us some of his photographs on the drive up... which were absolutely incredible. Thanks for a great evening!

1  Thank PeteLightning
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Hands down, this tour was the TOTAL HIGHLIGHT of our entire trip in Costa Rica. Admittedly I'm a huge photographer and came to Costa Rica hoping to get some great frog shots.... and we got the shots! Our guide was amazing. We ended up doing a private tour for just 4 of us (I highly recommend... just email them and negotiate a price) and we ended up out there for nearly 3 hours. Our guide was absolutely AMAZING and ensured that we would not return until we had seen as much wildlife and taken as many pictures as we wanted. I don't know what else to say... the pictures speak for themselves. Also, we were not staying at this hotel. But, if you pay for the frog tour you can return in the daytime and walk around to see the day frogs (different species) and the birds that visit in the morning. Again... I HIGHLY recommend this tour.

1  Thank courtwshr1
Reviewed January 30, 2013

What a beautiful place. Formerly a farm, this is a private Eco Lodge that has only been growing for 30 years. Coming from Canada, I found this astounding because the trees are huge. I learned from my very knowledgable guide that because the growing season never ends, there are no rings in the trees to mark how old they are.

Our guide also told us a lot about the trees and animals that we saw. I especially loved how he was able to tell us how each thing fit into the ecosystem, and what part it plays. We saw mostly frogs, and to my shock not one snake, except for a few in terrariums. We also saw a few sleeping birds, and lots of bugs. The frogs were beautiful. So colourful.

I would definitely recommend this tour, but I would also recommend seeing this or the rainforest in the day as well, because there is a lot you can get from both experiences.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 28, 2012

After my first night in Arenal I wanted to find out what was making all those sounds at night. The Night Hike is perfect, it takes some patience looking for frogs and other critters, but our guide Gerald was wonderful at teaching us how to use our flashlights to find animals - although he found the vast majority! It was drizzling rain and the other people canceled so there were only two of us on the tour - which was their loss, it was a good time to be out. A memorable evening out in the rain forest and Gerald could discuss amphibians at the DNA level and help you take a great photo.