“A must while in La Fortuna”
Review of Costa Rica Cooking

Costa Rica Cooking
More attraction details
Owner description: Costa Rica Cooking is the place where Chef Scott Alan showcases his passion for cooking while using fresh, local ingredients from his beautiful home of La Fortuna/Arenal Volcano, Costa Rica. You will cook alongside him learning about the food and culture behind the dishes and hear many entertaining tales of life in Costa Rica. Our kitchen is located near the base of Arenal Volcano and boasts amazing views of the volcano along with the adjoining dog rescue center, Costa Rica Dog Rescue. This is a unique and rewarding experience and is a must while visiting La Fortuna.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A must while in La Fortuna”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Our cooking class with Chef Scott Alan was one of our highlights from our trip to Costa Rica. We were able to learn how to make delicious appetizers, salad, fish, squash and desert. The entire group had a hand in chopping and preparing every dish and we were provided with a pamphlet so we were able to make the dishes once we left! We also were provided with a parting gift.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank JMarieH

Fortuna
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Traditional Costa Rican Dishes with modern culinary flair!”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We were greeted by Scott & his staff at his beautiful facilities with welcoming smiles, & tasty cocktails. We learned to cook a couple of Costa Rican Staples, such as Patacones, & Ceviche. We were also taught Scotts' delicious Mango chutney, & how to prepare the most incredible pork chops ever!!!

The class is very hands on, so you're never bored. We moved from appetizer, to side dish, to main entree without missing a beat. Oh, did I mention the unlimited cocktails!! served by a very handsome bartender!!

Scott, & his staff bring years of experience , & culinary knowledge to the table. I was amazed at how quickly they were able to prep, & prepare dishes, as well as the amount of knowledge they have of food. They are truly professionals.

"Costa Rican Cooking" is a great activity for couples, families, or groups of friends. It's an experience you won't soon forget. &, you'll walk away with recipes that you can use for a lifetime. Seriously, the mango chutney is good on everything!!!

Thanks to Scott, & his crew for setting up such a refreshing, & unique approach to learning about Costa Rica, while teaching practical, useful kitchen skills at the same time!

Jessy, & Robert

Visited September 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Wonderful Costa Rican Experience!”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I recently had the opportunity to participate in this wonderful cooking class and am so grateful for the opportunity! It was a truly unique experience that I would recommend for any travelers in the Fortuna area whether families, couples, or friends. I myself am not a big chef or foodie - literally don't even know how to properly cut an onion - however I still loved every second. The food was delicious, and I particularly enjoyed the tasty, fresh mojitos and Scott's original Papaya Chutney on the pork chops - seriously TO DIE FOR! Scott and the other chefs really make the experience entertaining and fun with great service and you feel like part of the family. The kitchen is really beautifully designed with an open concept, so it was just a cool environment to be in with great views of Fortuna and the volcano. My family will be visiting in a few months and this cooking class is top of the list for recommendations in the area. Don't miss out, this class is really a hidden gem in Fortuna and worth every penny!!!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank 661ariannaw
Seal Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Excellent Cooking Class”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I had the opportunity to take this cooking class with Chef Scott and the food was amazing. When we arrived, the view is what first caught my attention, absolutely breathtaking so don't forget your camera. We were started off with a Costa Rican Mojito and moved on to make Ceviche. Now, I'm not one to eat any type of seafood, but I gave this Ceviche a try and I'm hooked. Following Ceviche, we had pork chops (with the most amazing Papaya Chutney) sweet potatoes with a pineapple sauce, and Chocolate Bread Pudding. The food was amazing. His staff he has working with him were very supportive not only to Chef Scott but to all of us in the class. They were there to wipe down our cutting boards, bring us new utensils and clean up any mess we made. Overall an experience you don't want to miss. And you also get to bring home a book with the recipes for the items you make that day. Don't miss out and again, don't forget your camera!

Visited April 2012
4 Thank Sixpacmama
Cary, North Carolina
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great food, Great instruction, and Great time!”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Chef Scott Allen clearly has Costa Rican food and ingredients down to a science. His knowledge of costa Rican ingredients and the direction of where the cuisine is going is truly inspiring. We talked about how he supports the local farms, one in particular and the importants to cook with fresh ingredients. The class overlooks the Arenal Lake. I found it to be the perfect setting for an enjoyable cooking experience. Please don't forget your cameras, the panaramic view is breath taking. We started with a demonstration of a classic Mojito, Costa Rican style. Follow with a lovely ceviche, which was perfectly marinated. Dinner was a lot of fun as we grilled some chops with Costa Rica's famous "Salsa Lizano", created a papaya chutney and topped it off with a chocolate bread puddin. WOW! It was a fun and fulfilling day. From one chef to another, hats off to Chef Scott for making the class a memorable one. I truly recommend the class for anyone interested in Costa Rican cuisine done right. Pura Vida!!!

Visited April 2012