The Sleeping Indian Guesthouse
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$256
Hotels.com
Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$449
Hotel Lomas del Volcan(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$120
$108
  • Breakfast included
Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$146
Arenal Lodge(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$114
$69
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$244
Arenal Manoa Hotel(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$294
$165
Hotels.com
Volcano Lodge & Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$184
$138
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel El Silencio del Campo(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$156
Travelocity
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$299
TripAdvisor
All reviewsguest houseshared kitchenown bathroomla fortunalocation is greatnice place to stayhome away from homepura vidabalconieslafortunasupermarket
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Sleeping indian

When we first arrived we were greeted by a lovely young hostess from the USA. The room was very clean and all worked well and we felt very welcome.
That welcoming feeling changed completely when the owner arrived at home (he lives in the hostel, no problem) and put on relaxing music at a rather high level. We assumed it would be temporarly and thougt nothing of it. We started cooking and after reading tripadvisor i understood the owner is rather strict on using cookery for what is ment for. No problem for me so i use a platsic thingy in a non sticky pan but that was not supposed to be. It could not handle the heat according to Peter. Better was a wooden spoon, but that doesn't turn anything around in the pan, does it. And i was supposed to put a cover on the pan where my sausages were in because it was splashing all over. We have the habit to cook, eat and clean in that order... When i kindly asked to lower the volume of the music because we had to higher the level of our voice he gave a look expressing : this is my place so i do what i want. But he lowered it anyways.
Between all this he was more than asking if we wanted to do tours around La Fortuna which we would but not after checking prices around town. He was a bit pushy on it, asking it a couple of times a day, but we booked somewhere else a rafting tour for 20 usd less pp than what he offered. The same tour btw. That it not very nice for a hostelowner where you stay four nights.
Anyways, we continued and listened to the same "relaxation" music every time he was in the house. Same over and over again. I can write down the composition by now.
When on saturday he asked me not to play cards on the coffeetable because it is for everyone i stood up for myself and explained that others are more than welcome to join in or ask for part of the table. The look he gave expressed it all. He turned away and not spoke of it again. There was a swiss couple seeing it happen and they told me afterwards it was a joke to be like that to paying guests.
He also wants to know your time of arrival, because, and i quote "i dont want to get stuck here all day" meaning he doesnt want to spent the day at his own hostel waiting for the guests. On saturdaynight we had the place to ourselves from 6pm to late because nobody was attending the place.

A broken hot shower was fixed quickly the next morning after we told about it, so thumbs up for that.

Would we go again?
Big NO because we felt the least welcome for the last 4 months of travel in this hostel. Its like you are an intruder in his house. I would even call it stressful.
Which is too bad for Casey, since she is such a lovely host.

Room Tip: Get in the back of the building since there is a lot of noise in the front from the street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank VictorSamos
Peter F, Owner at The Sleeping Indian Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

unfortunately not every guest is a good fit for every location
These particular individuals monopolized our house for days on end 24 hours at a time!
They insisted on dominating the common space to the exclusion of others with an extreme sense of entitlment and became angry when asked to share the living room with other guests!
I pointed out to them that they could be more agreeable with my other guests but that seemed to make them more disagreeable and they actually shouted at some others who were staying here and infomed them that "If you dont like how we are then you might find another place to stay"
I have never had such pushy individuals in my guest house, but I suppose there comes a time when one encounters individuals who have a negative attitude that comes in the door,
That will not deter us from continuing to be positive hosts and welcome all people of good cheer

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed here for three nights. Clean room. Next to the main plaza, restaurants, grocery stores and the adventure companies. No need for any private transportation. Kitchen is spacious and convenient. It is next to the main road. So, from our room which was next to the road, we could hear some noise. It is a very convenient and safe base for activities in the La Fortuna area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for seven nights at the Sleeping Indian.It provided an excellent base for me to explore the Arenal Volcano area.The communal space is beautifully furnished and lit which gives it a very homely feel.The owner Peter is a great bloke who made me feel welcome as did Cassie who works for him during the day.It was a pleasure to spend time with them.I had an excellent experience.I thouroughly recommend it to travellers looking for something with real style at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed two nights at The Sleeping Indian and it turned out to be a great choice. It's an unpretentious place upstairs over some local businesses well located in the center of town. There is one large central space surrounded by six bedrooms, all with private baths. Everything was spotlessly clean and very secure. The host, Peter, is what makes the place great. He is a delightful man who even set up a tour to the Arenal Volcano for us. Highly recommend this place if you're looking for a reasonably priced place in La Fortuna.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

The guesthouse itself has potential and could be quite lovely, the owner however is not and made our stay extremely uncomfortable and unpleasant. This should be changed from a hostel/guesthouse to a bed & breakfast as you feel you are living in the owners home. We stayed 3 nights and were treated as if we were overstaying our welcome by the second day. Peter made us feel like intruders in his own home, snapping at us once to give him some space as we cooked dinner in the communal kitchen. The most outrageous thing was when he demanded we take out the trash since we contributed the most to it from cooking!!!!! I was absolutely flawed at this. Have you ever heard of guests being told to take out the trash!?? And when I responded shockingly that I wasn't going to, he gave me even more attitude. Laundry is offered at a price to do yourself, we decided to do this and was told by Peter that we should take our clothes off the line as we took up too much space (we were the only guests there the night we did laundry!) If it wasn't for the amazing Cassie (receptionist who is there during the day) we would of packed up and left alot earlier! Peter needs to change his attitude towards his guests, as we were not the only guests who felt this way at the time.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank NotSoBackPacker
Peter F, Owner at The Sleeping Indian Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

As you can see, these guests have been the only individuals who had the alleged negative experience at our guest house. We should have expected something like this kind of perspective based on their conduct in our guest house. They generated a tremendous amount on refuse while dominating the kitchen and when politely asked to take some out, they visibly became affronted as if such a thing was above them and they were too delicate to cooperate with an effort to keep things orderly. While cooking they were using our implements and I asked them not to use a metal tong on our teflon pans and I was met with the response. "this is how i do it at home, i dont see why you have an issue with it". I feel these people were so thined skined that there was no satisfying their every desire.