“Fabulous steakhouse”

Cuisines: Costa Rican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Had a lovely ribeye steak - very large portions. Reasonable prices and great service. Open air seating

Reviewed December 7, 2013

My husband and I just had a fantastic dinner at El Novillo. We had the special t-bone and ribeye dinners and we were blown out of the water by the taste and tenderness of the meat. It was accompanied by vegetables and salad and garlic bread. We paid only $37.00 which included tax and tip! One of the best steak dinners ever. If you are a steak lover like my husband, you can't miss this treat.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We pulled up to this restaurant and almost thought that they were not open because there was no one else here. I think, overall, we ate earlier than most people for dinner because it got dark so early.

We chose a table in the back area, ordered a bottle of wine and looked over the menu. There was water and bread service from a very friendly staff. After hearing the daily specials we decided on one of them, the Churrasco, and the pork with tequila-orange sauce. Our server left to put in our order while we enjoyed our bread (which had delicious a olive oil dipping plate) and returned a few minutes later to see if we had wanted any appetizers or salad, we decided on a ceasar salad.
After about 15 minutes we started joking that they were growing the ingredients to make the dressing. I noticed, at this point that we were still the only ones here, and the chef was, in fact, making the salad dressing fresh. We were not disappointed. What followed was the best ceasar salad either of us have ever had. I know, it's salad. But so good. And the croutons were warm, with just enough crunch on the outside, not hard at all, and melted in our mouths.

Then there were the entrees. The pork. . . it was pork. It tasted great, came with potatoes and veggies, and made for great left overs, but the massive plate of beef (potatoes and veggies also) that was placed in front of me for the Churrasco was definitely the winner for the night. Just enough fat left around the edges to keep it super juicy and cooked to a perfect medium-rare.

At some point, while we were eating, we started guessing how much our meal would cost. After all, he had not specified price when listing the evenings specials. Comparing it to the other restaurants that we had been to, and considering what they had cost, we were coming to terms with the fact that we may have been in the middle of a $120 meal.

We finished dinner and we decided against desserts. So good. So full. And we got the check. Our jaws dropped when we saw that it was $60.

Definitely worth the drive from Fortuna. I would recommend it in a heartbeat, and wish I could go back to try more!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Our group of 4 adults had dinner here one of the nights that we were in La Fortuna. The food was amazing, we all ordered different things on the menu and all thought that our meals were delicious.

Our server was very attentive and we enjoyed the interactions that we had with him.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Girlfriend and I ate here as part of our package with Athica Canopy Tours. This place make really great casado. GF had the chicken, I had the beef, and we shared. Add a couple of Imperials to the mix, and you have a really great meal I full view of Arenal Volcano. Would highly recommend!