“The BEST steak in Costa Rica”

Steak House el Tobogan
Cuisines: Central American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: 1/4 Novillo Tenderloin Steak House el Tobogán is a family restaurant Characterized by specialty meat originating in the area offering: Tenderloin, T-bon Steak Churrasco steak and a reasonable price, having a menu for different tastes: salads, rice, chicken, seafood, burgers and sandwiches and vegetarian food as well! . why the name Tobogán ? , Because you will find a large slide = Tobogán with a large pissina restaurant that is part of !...
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I lived in Costa Rica for a semester as an exchange student and saw a lot of the country in that time. More recently my wife and I spent 9 days on our honeymoon in Costa Rica.

I was amazed at the quality of meat and the preparation. I honestly did not believe that steaks of this quality could be found in Costa Rica. If you want better beef, you will have to buy a ranch (trust me, I grew up on a farm raising beef).

1  Thank Hal C

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I decided to go here our first night based on Trip Advisor reviews. It is a simple roadside restaurant with tables open to the parking lot. We both had very good steaks with pepper sauce that also came with a few vegetables and yuca on the side. Did not have alcohol or dessert so I can't address them. I was surprised by the prices and the taxes = 10% and 13%. The waitress told us they were two taxes but it ended up the 1-% is an included tip, which is customary at most of the restaurants we went to.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

the only reason we initially pulled in to the parking lot of el tobogan was to turn around and head back down the road when we were stopped by the muchacho who works in the restaurant as the "maitre d". he convinced us to take a look at the menu as we told him we did NOT want to eat steak (we were looking for seafood). once we got out of the car, looked at the menu, and had a conversation with him and his staff - we were sold. our food was amazing; so good, in fact, that we dined there the following night and ordered the EXACT SAME MEAL!!! the chefs are the mother & father, the son is the maitre d and our server [whose name escapes me] was AMAZING; catering to our every need.

we had a great experience, great food, met some great local folks, and would come back again without a doubt.

what are you waiting for?!?! .... leave your hotel now ... it's overpriced and not made with as much love & attention as el tobogan ... you'll be glad you did!!

2  Thank ah_USA
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Had the pepper steak and among the best I've ever had. Really big, quality steak for the price (around $10). Definitely recommend this local spot. The local fruit drink was also very good.

2  Thank murphypost
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stopped here mid-afternoon, and after hearing so much about CR beef, we tried their steak. It was tough and not so special. The other dishes here were good, but comparing the food to other food we ate during our trip, this rates as an 'average'. Would try other restaurants on any future trip.