“Amazing!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Chill Out Backpackers
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This hostel is amazing!! The owners of the hostel, Mauricio and his wife, were extraordinarily friendly and accommodating. They helped us set up a tour of Arenal Volcano that worked around our schedule. Breakfast is included in your stay and it was delicious! I really enjoyed my stay here and would come back again.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ehetterly

Reviewed August 28, 2011

I spent three nights at the Sleepers Hostel in La Fortuna and very much enjoyed my stay. Though the accommodations are modest, it's a the perfect place to affordably leave your things and have a look around the lovely area that is Arenal/Fortuna. Mauricio, the hostel owner, may be one of the nicest men on the planet! When I checked out and realized I was a few bucks short, I offered to go run to the ATM quick, but he said it was no problem and took what I had! So Sweet! The breakfast is fantastic and included in the price, the location is just off the main road in Fortuna, and the view of the volcano is stunning. This isn't what you would consider a "fun" hostel, but there are plenty of bars and restaurants within a five minute walk if you're looking to meet people around town.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This place is really sketchy. We had made a reservation here, but once we arrived we decided to stay somewhere else. It seemed very bare bones and wasn't in the best area.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I stayed at Sleepers Sleep Cheaper on a backpacking trip through Central America in 2010. A friend of mine who I'd met in Nicaragua had recommended it to me, otherwise I would have never found it. It had just openend two months before and none of the guidebooks mentionend it. I had to aks my way through half of the city until I had found it (the downside...) but it was definitly worth it.
I stayed in a single room with shared bathroom for $7, including breakfast. And no, the breakfast wasn't the usual make-yourself-a-pancake, but actually included eggs, toast, butter, jam, fresh fruits and tea or coffee. It was served in front of my room, where there was a little living room with TV and a spare room to wash clothes for me and and just more room.
The owners were so nice, they could tell you everything about where to go and what to do and especially were honest when it came to doing a trip that was actually not worth it. They also could book me the passage from La Fortuna to Monterrico a lot cheaper, plus made a reservation for me in the Sleepers there. One night they made a BBQ and invited some friends and the people staying there to join.
All in all really good value.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I had a great time at Sleepers, Mauricio and family made every effort to enhance my experience, including excellent deals on tours and excursions. I even stayed longer! Sad to leave. Location was good, not in the town center, but near enough (nr Gringo Pete's Too), with a supermarket a stone's throw away.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Adecolt
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I called this hostel 2 days before scheduled arrival to set up a reservation and was instructed by the receptionist, that i would need to send reservation by email instead. So after emailing and receiving a response from a man named Ramon, i believe all was set. My friend and I arrive to sleepers to find out that our name wasn't even on the reservation list, so i procede to pull up the email conversation to show proof that we indeed have a reservation. After the receptionist reads the email, he procedes to call Ramon who is at another location. Ramon procedes to tell via phone that they gave away our reservation to someone else, since I didn' t put down a deposit for the room. Throughtout our email conversation there was no mention of having to put down a deposit, so there was no way we could have know that this was required! After pointing this out to Ramon he apologizes for his mistake of leaving that very important information out, but procedes to tell us there is nothing he could do and that we will have to find another place to stay. The customer service here was atrocious, usually when a business makes a mistake they go out of there way to fix it, but not this establishment. They would rather put you out on the street, then fix a mistake caused by thier hands. Do yourself a favor and NEVER deal with these people there are other great places that are worth your money!!!!!!!!! (posasa inn).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank mpb0005
Volcanolakeadventure, Owner at Chill Out Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

I cannot believe my eyes,
The old manager that used to work for me obviously didn't not know how to deal with customer service I am so ashamed of what happened,
If this people came the Costa Rica again I would totally give them everything for free,
But as it seems it will probably never happen, I'm just trying to keep my dream and my hotel alive see if you can please delete this one too for me,
This guy does not work for me anymore. Thank you for your time,

Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed here for two nights and were really pleased with the free breakfast and free internet which we were able to use for as long as we wanted - great news as it was pretty rainy at the time! There is a tendency for foreigners to be really worried about being ripped off in La Fortuna but the man that owns this place is not out to make a quick dollar at all on the tours he has to offer. We did not go on any tours but went independently to the Arenal National Park. Our host gave us all the information that we needed. It is a really good clean hostel and we definitely felt like we got our moneys worth.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple