“Beautiful views and fun horseback riding”

Cabalgata Don Tobias
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The excursion, which takes place 100% on horseback, begins at the farm stables of Don Tobias. There, a professional team of guides prepares visitors with relevant information. Children's equipment is also available. Almost all of the excursion takes place on private land, crossing rivers and jungle, crossing second generation forest and primary forest, as well as beautiful pastures some of which are used for cattle, visitors will see the magnificent Arenal Volcano that accompanies the Visitors throughout the trip. Departure: 8:30 am or 1:30 p.mDuration: 3 hours Includes: Transportation, guide, equipment, water.Sugested Equipment: long trousers, cool shirts, binoculars, cameras, sunscreen and repellent Of insects.
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I haven't trotted on a horse in years. So when we took off and my horse started to trot, I was admittedly a little nervous. And then it was fun. Really fun. And I couldn't wait to see more of this beautiful area on the back of Mariposa! What a great horse.

We were picked up by a taxi from our hotel and didn't realize that was our ride. I would suggest having a laminated sign for the taxi drivers to hold saying "horseback tour" (might be too difficult with all the taxis but at least have the taxi driver say what he was there for). We waited next to him for almost ten minutes before he asked the front desk who said our room number. We felt bad holding up the tour although the people waiting in the car had the same thing happen. Setting that aside, the rest of the day was wonderful.

The guide for our tour did a great job explaining how to hold the reins and when to lean forward and lean back when on the horse. We went through stunning country side. The morning started out a little foggy and then the clouds started to lift and we saw more of the area. In addition, we got to try guava off the tree and feed it to our horses. About halfway through the tour, we stopped at the Benedictus Steak house and had fresh squeezed juice. I just love all the amazing fruit in this country and this did not disappoint. We watched some birds fly and just took in the scenery.

Back on to the horses for the rest of the tour. We were on the horses for well over two hours but we had so much fun, the time just flew by. When we were waiting for the taxi to pick us up we got to pet some of the sheep. The guide filled a bucket with treats to get the sheep closer to us which was really sweet.

This is one of the better horseback tours I've been on and well worth the money.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

There were 4 adults in our group. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The trail was a mix of easy and challenging. You felt like you had really gone horseback riding! Not just a little pony ride! The guide even helped with photos of wildlife.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

This was a really cool experience for someone not riding a horse before. It was nothing like I had imagined. It was very scary since it was very dangerous climbing mountains with a horse, especially if you´ve never sat on a horse before. I like taking risks, so for me this was a pleasant trip. If it is your first time and you´re not a risk taker, then I would suggest starting off riding on plain surface before heading up the hills of Costa Rica.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

In my travel group, each of us had a different level of experience with horseback riding and the professional staff at Don Tobias did a great job matching us up with horses that fit our experience. This was my first time horseback riding and I had an awesome time! The guides gave us clear instructions on how to communicate with our horses in Spanish and control our horses. In addition to the excitement of riding a horse, the scenic vistas along our trip were breathtakingly beautiful!
The ride was smoother than I expected. The saddles were in good condition and it was easy to hold on. Midway through our trip, we stopped for a refreshing glass of fresh pineapple juice. We also had many opportunities to pose for pics with the horses. I felt very comfortable taking photos of the landscape while mounted on the horse.

1  Thank PassportPeter
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Don Tobias met us at the stable and told us he would help us pick out a horse. I got a mixed horse named Miquita. Don Tobia’s gave us instructions on how to hold on to the rein, which is with one hand. The horses seemed to know where they were being taken and so it wasn’t hard to get them moving. We started going up and down the hills and the horses were all very good to ride on.

We had a resting stop at an organic restaurant where Don Tobia’s let us have some pineapple juice and water. Really great view from the restaurant. The whole excursion was about 3 hours long. It was my first time riding a horse and it couldn’t have been any more fun.