“Just what I dreamed of...”

Cabalgata Don Tobias
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The excursion, which takes place 100% on horseback, begins at the farm stables of Don Tobias. There, a professional team of guides prepares visitors with relevant information. Children's equipment is also available. Almost all of the excursion takes place on private land, crossing rivers and jungle, crossing second generation forest and primary forest, as well as beautiful pastures some of which are used for cattle, visitors will see the magnificent Arenal Volcano that accompanies the Visitors throughout the trip. Departure: 8:30 am or 1:30 p.mDuration: 3 hours Includes: Transportation, guide, equipment, water.Sugested Equipment: long trousers, cool shirts, binoculars, cameras, sunscreen and repellent Of insects.
London, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Just what I dreamed of...”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I booked the ride through Anywhere Costa Rica which included transportation from and back to my hotel. The owner picked me up at the hotel (not so far from the stables) and introduced me to my guide, Eric. Eric asked if I rode and I mentioned not for very long time. I signed a waiver, chose a helmet and saddled up. We’d ride up towards the volcano, water and rest the horses, then continue and end up at the restaurant where we’d have a fruit drink and rest the horses again before heading back down to the stables. Eric’s English was okay (my Spanish is non-existent) but he made clear that he wanted me to feel safe. He explained how to take the steep slopes up and down. He also took my camera so he could take lots of photos of me on my horse with fantastic views for the back drop. The horse was well behaved and responsive and I felt completely safe and comfortable the entire time. I was happy to trot a bit and even canter but it was only briefly. Frankly, most of the trail is pretty strenuous and rocky—the horses are sure-footed but it is a fairly demanding trek in some parts and the horses do need the rest breaks. When we got to the Benedictus restaurant we tied up our horses and enjoyed a gorgeous view of the valley over a pineapple smoothie. There was also a bathroom to use. After 20 minutes we mounted up and took a different trail back to the stables. All in all, it was exactly what I wanted out of the ride—a beautiful day enjoying the outdoors on horseback.

Visited December 2013

Chico, CA
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“One of the best things on our honeymoon”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We did a private tour. Wasn't much more, but was totally worth it. We loved that you actually got to "ride" the horses and our guide was excellent. Not sure how this would be for novice riders.

The property is privately owned and they stop at a restaurant for a juice. We really enjoyed it. We did go back and eat at the restaurant later though and were not very impressed with the food and service at it.

Visited August 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Real Costa Rican experience.”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

As it was low season, I was the only rider on this trip, but what a wonderful experience. Cesar was my guide, and although his English was limited we communicated just fine, and he willingly took photos. The horses are obviously well cared for (as are the resident dogs), and very sure footed. The ride is tailored to your experience, which is great as I managed a few gallops and some tricky slopes. The whole area is beautiful, and we even saw some toucans. We stopped for a break at the Benedictus restaurant and had a delicious fruit drink. The views from this place are amazing. I would definitely recommend this.

Visited October 2013
Hickory, North Carolina
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Excellent ride”
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Good place for a novice or experienced horseman. Exciting trails with some great views. Cesar, our guide, took an easy pace which was comfortable for my buddy, a novice rider. Having more experience, I had a number of opportunities to run the quarter horse on which I was riding. Location is convenient to La Fortuna. A well-run, clean, classy establishment.

Visited July 2013
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Horseback riding in Arenal”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was a worthwhile afternoon. The stables are well supplied with healthy, well-taken care of horses for riders of all levels, including children. We particularly enjoyed our guide, Cesar. He was aware of the different levels of abilities of each rider, and handled the group expertly.
Alvaro, the owner of the stables and farm lands, also has an organic restaurant called Domenicus, He operates more than 260 acres of organic farm fields ranging from cattle raising, dairy and vegetables .The restaurant has an incredible view. The ride was really idyllic with varied terrain where you ride to the foot of the volcano passing though several stream. We recommend Don Tobias without reservation for a afternoon or morning ride.

Visited August 2013