“Hostels offers haven in La Fortuna”

Arenal Hostel Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney
“Hostels offers haven in La Fortuna”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed at this hostel by accident - having got bumped from another up the road. However, it turned out to be a 'good' accident, as Arenal Hostel Resort turned out to be if not the best, then one of the best places I stayed during a four month trip to S. America and Central America.

You were immediately made to feel extremely welcome by the staff, provided with a free cocktail served by the poolside bar, and given advice about what to see and do in the area. Staff also booked trips on your behalf.

The rooms were spotlessly clean as was the en suite bathroom. Breakfasts were good value - plenty to eat and a good choice of food. For me the the lovely garden with its pool was the winner .... so relaxing to come back to, hot and sticky after a day out, and able to take a dunk in the pool and then chill with a drink in one of the hammocks. Bliss. In fact it felt more like a 'resort' than a 'backpackers'. The challenge for the Resort is to maintain this high level of service and accommodation...and I hope they continue to rise to it - as they have a winner here - and I'd say, the best place to stay in La Fortuna!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed just for one night and we had such a great time. We got a big spacious private room, wich was super clean- and the bed was really comfy! The moment we arrived we got a free welcome drink at the in pool bar wich is so cool! The garden is great, green and has the best hammocks! We were helped with orgenizing and booking travels and entrence to the hot springs. Everything was so clean and nice abd the staff was lovely!

• Stayed August 2013
Chicoutimi
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I actually stayed at the backpacker resort which looks to be the same owners. Spent some time in both hostel since the breakfast where at the arenal hostel. It was great, clean and the staff where amazing. There is private secure parking and the location could not be better. We even got treated with a bbq and live music good times!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was my first experience staying in a hostel. The hostel was in a very secure and safe spot with a locked gate. People have to buzz to get in or out. The hostel is located right across from the centre of La Fortuna so it made it very convenient to explore. La Fortuna is very safe during the day and in the evening.

I found the reception/tour desk to be very helpful and knowledgeable. Although slightly more expensive (only by a few bucks though) if you venture out and find tours on your own, I had a good experience with my tour and I heard some horror stories from some people who booked externally. All of the staff I had dealt with was great. Don’t forget to get your welcoming cocktail, it was very delicious! This makes up for not having breakfast included in the price.

I was a solo traveler and I got a private room on the 2nd floor (I had to pay two people). The room was very basic with very little amenities. They had a single soap dispenser in the shower (in my room anyways). The room had a weird alcove with a counter and a sink which I found to be a little bit useless. It would have been handier if there were some bar stools so I could have sat and used the counter. The room was very clean and comfortable although they need to scrub the walls. I met someone ho had a room downstairs and they said my room was much nicer.

It does seem a bit weird when you walk in and hear party beats but it stops around 10:00pm. All the guests when I was there was very considerate even thought the majority of them were very young. Their only party night is on Saturdays but it wouldn’t affect you if you want to sleep early because they don't stay in the hostel. I actually found it very easy to sleep compared to being in the jungle except when I would hear roosters in the distance around 5:30am.

The grounds were well kept although much smaller than the photos make it out to be but I found it to be very cozy. The bar area was a very nice place to hang out and the bartender was very good.

Their breakfast was decent for what you’re paying, especially considering the prices in La Fortuna. I opted to skip the breakfast buffet and instead get a breakfast on their menu. They used the same stuff from the buffet but your eggs would be made to order, the prices were the same.

Besides the lack of amenities you would find in hotels, I found this similar to a hotel experience. For what you’re paying this is a good choice because it was safe, comfortable and clean.

Room Tip: Splurge and get a room on the 2nd floor.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

This is my favourite hostel ever! The atmosphere is amazingly relaxing. It has a pool with a swim up bar and the most delicious cocktails. I need to remind myself to take it easy during happy hour tonight as I got a bit carried away last night :) Hammocks hang in the beautiful garden / courtyard which are great for afternoon naps. I'm staying in a private room which is very clean and comfortable - it has air con and a hot shower too. The staff are very friendly and helpful - they've been so great in helping us plan our activities for the week. I wouldn't stay anywhere else as no other hostel will match this little slice of paradise. Totally good value for money too - if you don't stay here you're stupid!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I'm from San José and decided to spend a weekend in this place and it was great. Good location, nice rooms (I had a private one), nice little pool with a bar, the staff was very kind, especially Roberto, the guy at the bar, and the canadian girl at the front desk. 100% recommended.

USA
Reviewed August 21, 2013

A wonderful oasis from town. Stunning, relaxing grounds. Amazing staff (Pablo in particular) helped find many excursions. Hammocks, Pool, Bar, Breakfast area. Everything you need and a great place to meet other travelers. I will definitely return when traveling back to the Arenal area.